2020 Sign, Draft or Promote - Starting 3-Tech DT

swede700

How should the Vikings handle the starting 3-tech?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. How should the Vikings handle the starting 3-tech?

• Sign an external free agent (Specify preference in thread)
    • Draft a new starting 3-tech
    • Promote Jalyn Holmes
    • Promote Hercules Mata'afa
    • Keep Shamar Stephen as the starter
    • Other (Specify preference in thread)

2 hours ago, marshpit23 said:

We all know Kinlaw would be a dream, but as others have mentioned, he will not be available at 25. 
Could someone @Ozzy please give us less informed guys a breakdown of the next available 3T prospects; e.g. Blacklock and Madubuike (mentioned above)?

Neville Gallimore, just had a great combine, had a fine season on OU.  Big dude who can motor, plays with passion and could be a great late 1st round pick for the Vikings.  Right now honestly if there is no OL that fits Gallimore would be a awesome pickup 1st round.  I still love James Lynch but he did not time great and might be a little transition to the DT spot from a 3/4 DE. With how he looked in on the field drills I would take him more Blacklock and Madubuike.  Madubuike looked good as well but he is more a 2nd rounder to me which could also come into play for the Vikings.  Blacklock has a lot of upside but has been injured and is not the pass rusher Gallimore is.  

Marlon Davidson is an option late 1st round also but not sure if he is a 4/3 DT and rather a 3/4 DE or 4/3 DE.  Is a good solid player, Raekwon Davis did not impress in the workout but at his size could be a steal 2nd round but I would not want him in the 1st round.  And like I said James Lynch can ball and I would like him but now 2nd round, originally had him first round but I thought he would work out a little better than he did, still he has great upside. Some other names later in the draft 3rd round to the 5th would be Leki Fotu, Davon Hamilton, Robert Windsor, Bravvion Roy and Khalil Davis who is a sleeper with big time athletic ability but might be more a DE potentially.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Davis intrigues me a lot because of Coach Patterson. You also can't teach his size. I'd be fine with him in round 2. 

Yes 2nd round he is very interesting but I would not go 1st round with him at all.  His pass rush moves suck and he does not seem to be able to get off blocks.  Athletically he did not amaze either, based on how he looked as a SOPH the last two years with him have been super unimpressive.  He has had 2 sacks in two years when he had 8.5 as a SOPH alone.  A ton of teams would want him 2nd round so not sure he would fall that far. 

Seriously though what is more of a need DE or DT, sadly both honestly, and if Griffen is gone DE might take the cake and then Gross-Matos would be amazing late 1st round potentially.  

I would draft at least 1 DT and if the right guy is there in the 3rd or 4th, I have no problem drafting 2 in this draft. 

Our 2 biggest needs on this team is fixing both lines.. Keep Cousins in a good pocket and get some pressure from our DT’s.. ( our DE’s will be fine) 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Yes 2nd round he is very interesting but I would not go 1st round with him at all.  His pass rush moves suck and he does not seem to be able to get off blocks.  Athletically he did not amaze either, based on how he looked as a SOPH the last two years with him have been super unimpressive.  He has had 2 sacks in two years when he had 8.5 as a SOPH alone.  A ton of teams would want him 2nd round so not sure he would fall that far. 

Seriously though what is more of a need DE or DT, sadly both honestly, and if Griffen is gone DE might take the cake and then Gross-Matos would be amazing late 1st round potentially.  

I still think it makes sense to draft OT in the 1st and DT in the 2nd.  Davis would not be the penetrating DT, but would be a tackle like "Phat Pat" who clogs up the middle, but doesn't appear much in the stat sheets.  His job would be to take on the center and a guard and plugging interior running lanes...letting the DE's not to have to take on double teams on passing downs.  At least that's the way it's suppose to work in theory.

15 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Raekwon should have come out last year...