Strangest careers

Elky

1 hour ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

Marc Bulger.. Dude was a freaking stud. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/bulger-never-got-the-credit-he-deserved/article_b66d08fa-d003-5c3b-8aa2-c88ad36ce6b7.amp.html

Mike Martz got him killed. 

Every Sunday, I used to watch this guy after games drag his body back to his locker stall. A few years ago, I saw him with his shirt off after one particular game, and I swear there was the most hideous purple and reddish contusion on his back the likes of which I'd never seen in an NFL locker room. Bulger was a poster boy for the darker side of the game, and he accepted this with little or no complaint.

Bulger played constantly with battered ribs and so many back and neck injuries that he often struggled to breathe properly during and after games. He lived in a world one filled with ice packs and pain killers. He lived in a world where the obligation to play was blurred constantly by the inability to know if you are being a brave teammate who is willing to play with a little pain or a damned fool who sacrificed too much by playing injured, but did it anyway for the good of the team, or the fear of losing his job.

Yeah Marc was way better than most remember. I'll never forget that come back game against Seattle in like 04. Dude was just slinging it. Still one of the best rams games I ever watched.

Edit: found it...just go to the two hour mark...5 minutes left down 17....magical.

Edited by Riftty
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SkippyX said:

Tebow would probably still be a Patriot if he switched positions.

But he was drafted as a QB. Nobody thought Matt Jones was going to play QB, he was drafted as a WR. 

The position switch has worked - Hines Ward and Julian Edelman are probably the gold standard for it, Josh Cribbs was a big name as a KR/PR guy, Antwaan Randel El had a nice stint as a Steeler, Greg Ward is quietly developing as a guy in Philly - but Jones was the highest drafted among those names and completely busted out. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/5/2020 at 4:46 PM, Art_Vandalay said:

Brandon Lloyd comes to mind. Spends 13 years in the NFL and the only year he goes over 1000 is when he goes HAM in 2010 and leads the league in receiving with Kyle Orton at QB.

I hated him on the Patriots. Softest damn WR I've ever seen. 

3 minutes ago, SnoopDogg said:

Sterling Sharpe. Easily would've been one of the greatest WRs ever if not for injuries.

Josh Gordon would've easily been one of the greatest WRs ever if not for substance abuse/mental illness

David Boston would've easily been one of the greatest WRs ever if not for his, um, 'unorthodox' workout regimen

Bill Groman would've easily been one of the greatest WRs ever if not for playing in a time when a torn ACL was usually career-ending

There are a lot of guys that fit that description. I wouldn't really call any of those careers 'weird'.

8 minutes ago, Starless said:

There are a lot of guys that fit that description. I wouldn't really call any of those careers 'weird'.

Yup. His career wasn't "weird", but it was unfortunate, both with the timing of his most healthy years (pre-Favre), and of his injury (just about at Favre hitting his peak).

I do think that if he managed to have, say, a 10-12 (healthy) year career, he'd probably be considered the best receiver that played a majority of his career in the 90s, not named Jerry Rice.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DannyB said:

Yup. His career wasn't "weird", but it was unfortunate, both with the timing of his most healthy years (pre-Favre), and of his injury (just about at Favre hitting his peak).

I do think that if he managed to have, say, a 10-12 (healthy) year career, he'd probably be considered the best receiver that played a majority of his career in the 90s, not named Jerry Rice.

He should probably be in the HOF regardless.

Vince Young, Jeff Fisher straight up destroyed his career after winning rookie of the year. Jeff is almost a war criminal for what he did to Vince and almost did to Goff.

Vince basically had the unfortunate experience of being coached by a legend who had gone senile and paid the price. Who knows what a Vince Young type guy could have done with a younger innovative coach.