Strangest careers

Elky

On 3/10/2020 at 1:01 AM, Warhorse said:

I can't believe I just waded through 7 pages to see not one mention of Andrew Luck. An elite QB who retires and no one...NO ONE saw that coming. That is next level strange career. 

You're acting like Luck is the first great player to retire early. Jim Brown, Barry Sanders, Gale Sayers, Calvin Johnson, Patrick Willis, Rob Gronkowski, Tiki Barber, and plenty more.

Luck's career wasn't strange at all.

Not the strangest but I'll throw two out there.

JPP.  I think he didn't even play football until senior year at CF? or something? Then getting his hand blown off etc.  Tiki Barber I guess pretty strange career too.

Carnell Lake.  How many players transition from Safety to Corner instead of the other way around.

On 3/10/2020 at 10:20 PM, Jakuvious said:

Honestly can't remember if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but Luck was never an elite QB.

Agreed.  Borderline elite, maybe, but he was never consistent enough to be truly elite.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2020 at 2:01 AM, Warhorse said:

I can't believe I just waded through 7 pages to see not one mention of Andrew Luck. An elite QB who retires and no one...NO ONE saw that coming. That is next level strange career. 

He couldnt stay healthy.  During his final years, even when he was on the field, he was never 100%.

I was somewhat shocked that he retired as early as he did, but not shocked that he retired early in general.

Larry Centers had 962 receiving yards one season for a fullback and pretty consistently had a lot more receiving yards than rushing yards. I can't think of any other fullback that had a career like that. Keith Byers is the only fullback I can think of that even comes close.

Thomas Henderson.

Guy was a 1st round pick with Dallas in the 70's. Went from being a pro bowl player to a addicted to cocaine. And then had his career cut short after a neck injury. Ended up doing time in prison for sexual assault. Flipped his life around afterwards, won the lottery TWICE and has been clean ever since along with starting his own charity.

On 3/5/2020 at 3:55 PM, RamblinMan99 said:

Shaun Alexander had a weird career.  

He was unstoppable from 2000-2005.  

He was the sole reason Seattle made it to the Super Bowl in 2005.  

He rushed for 1,800 yards, scored 27 TDs, won MVP, and made the Madden Cover 2 years later.  

But, from 2006-2008, his career really fell off for some reason and while he had some injuries, it wasn't like he broke his leg or tore his ACL.  

He went from averaging nothing less than 4 yards a carry throughout the first 6 years of his career to being an outcast that no team in the league wanted to sign. 

Shaun Alexander honestly could have had the kind of comeback that Adrian Peterson did, but he decided to retire after just 9 seasons in the league.  

Sounds like a pretty typical running back career to be honest.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, InRodWeRust said:

Larry Centers had 962 receiving yards one season for a fullback and pretty consistently had a lot more receiving yards than rushing yards. I can't think of any other fullback that had a career like that. Keith Byers is the only fullback I can think of that even comes close.

MOOSE!

Byars had a weird career. As a runner drafted at 10th overall he was a giant bust at 3.6 ypc for his career.

• 3.4 or worse in 3 of his first 4 years

He did turn out to be a heck of a receiver and a nasty blocker.

He was also not really a true fullback since he spent lots of time as RB or TE or H-back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SkippyX said:

MOOSE!

Byars had a weird career. As a runner drafted at 10th overall he was a giant bust at 3.6 ypc for his career.

• 3.4 or worse in 3 of his first 4 years

He did turn out to be a heck of a receiver and a nasty blocker.

He was also not really a true fullback since he spent lots of time as RB or TE or H-back.

Byars was a star feature back at Ohio State in 1984 (he ran for 1,764 yards on 5.3 YPC), but he had a foot injury the next year (he was a favorite for the Heisman), and was never quite the same after that.

• Like 1

Just now, 7DnBrnc53 said:

Byars was a star feature back at Ohio State in 1984 (he ran for 1,764 yards on 5.3 YPC), but he had a foot injury the next year (he was a favorite for the Heisman), and was never quite the same after that.

yup, the reason I am a football fan is the Cunningham/Reggie Eagles of the mid to late '80s.

Byars had a hit on one of his best friends (Pepper Johnson) that was legendary back then.

I loved him as an Eagle and I loved him as the option on the Cunningham rollout in Madden, but he could not run the ball at all as a #10 pick.

The O-line also did no one any favors on those teams.

Byars was also part of the mass exodus of talent from Philly because Norman Braman was such a scumbag owner.

• Keith Jackson, Reggie White, Byars, Joyner, Simmons, etc.
  • Like 1