Assigning % of team success

Matts4313

First thing I would ask is how do you define success? Winning record, playoff run, Super Bowl win. As they all require different things to a certain degree.

I would also have a slightly different take on it in the sense that the team with the most game changers regardless of position has a higher percentage of success (however we define that). So you can have a very average QB but a defence full of game changers and win a Super Bowl. Each team will have a different emphasis and that becomes their identity the percentages will change accordingly e.g. have a great a Oline and RB can bring about success or like with Brady, him and great TE, brought about success. I feel to be successful you just need a number of dominant players which results in dominant traits and the identity of the team.

So ideally where do these game changers have the greatest impact?
QB and Coaching equally. Have a good pairing is the quickest route to turnaround a franchise. Look at the Ravens with Jackson or the Chiefs with Pat, very quick turnaround.
Defensive line. Getting after the QB stopping the run with a dominant front four is the basis of all great defences.
Offensive line. Stopping that defensive line
Then the rest is a take it as you like it and quite interchangeable. Again depends on the identity of your football team.

The best offensive line ever assembled with two of us at QB and RB should still be able to move the ball - albeit just one yard at a time.

The best QB ever with an offensive line consisting of 5 of us would get sacked on every single play.

This is the ultimate chicken/egg conversation, but to me OL has to be more important than QB.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

The best offensive line ever assembled with two of us at QB and RB should still be able to move the ball - albeit just one yard at a time.

The best QB ever with an offensive line consisting of 5 of us would get sacked on every single play.

This is the ultimate chicken/egg conversation, but to me OL has to be more important than QB.

You just created a false analogy, though. In the first example, you used QB and RB. Do QB only and I think the success rate is just as poor.

That said I think you make a good point about the OL being underrated.

Does depend on what kind of offense/defense you are running, more so on D. Generally speaking I would say...

Offense (40%)

Quarterback 15%

Offensive Line 13%

Running Back 3%

Tight Ends 3%

Wide Receivers 6%

Defense (35%) 

Defensive Line 15%

Linebacker 6%

Cornerbacks 8%

Safety 6%

Special Teams will be grouped into 1 category 5%

Coaching will be grouped into 1 category 20%

Total 100%

A few comments

• QB is the most important position, but coaching is more important.
  • Offense is more important to have good players than D
  • I don't value STs very much
  • Only 12% allocated to skill players may seem low, but you have 5 skill guys on the field, and 5 OL, so naturally should be fairly even.

8 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

Speak for yourself, put me behind the best oline ever assembled and I'm averaging way more than 1 ypc like you chumps.

• Like 1