Pick a Bust - 2020

BrownLeader

Last year's thread went pretty well and is an interesting read, so once again...If you were forced to pick a high rated guy that'll be a bust at every position, who would it be?

It's a tough year because the talent is so deep. It's hard to see a lot of these guys just outright busting...but obviously some will.

*again TBC I'm lower on these guys but I'm not saying I think every one of them will be busts,  just if I had to choose one.

QB - Jordan Love

Basking in the shadow of Mahomes no doubt. I'm doing a write up on him right now and I'm struggling to find stuff I really like. He kind of looks like a pedestrian spread QB. Like a lesser Marcus Mariota.

WR - Jalen Reagor

Loved his 2018 film when he was reminding of Emmanuel Sanders. This season and his performances pre draft...I'm just not liking it. Seems like he lost some explosion somewhere along the way.

TE - Brycen Hopkins

Athletic guy but as a receiving TE you've got to have steady hands. He doesn't.

OT - Mehki Becton

He's a fatter Bryant McKinnie. I feel like there's a few Ereck Flowers lurking in this class. Josh Jones also comes to mind.

OG/OC - Netane Muti

Not sure I've seen a guy get more praise over a window dressing highlight video as this guy. He's short armed and not especially quick off the ball. He cheap shots guys after the whistle regularly. Really raw and injury prone.

DE - Yetur Gross Matos

Another big upside guy but he's not physical upfront. I'd almost like to see him converting to OLB where he can use his length and mobility more effectively.

DT - Ross Blacklock

Tape didn't wow me and I got a sense of an inconsistent motor. Strikes me as a cash in guy.

LB - Patrick Queen

Reportedly pretty smart and he does everything ok but I just liked his predecessors a lot better. Beckwith, Deion Jones, Alexander....

CB - Trevon Diggs

He's aware, coached well, and can make some plays, but I don't like his feet & fluidity. Grabs incessantly when he's beat and is a marshmallow tackler.

S - Xavier McKinney

Nicely versatile but I don't think there's anything special there. Reminds me of a softer Vonn Bell.

Edited by BrownLeader

43 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Ugh you stole mine!

My is Delpit, S LSU. I think that his pursuit is abysmal, he's not overly physical, his angles are poor...I just don't see it at all.

Ugh you stole mine!

I would take Dugger or Winfield over Delpit.

• Like 2

QB — Tua.  Threw to an All-Star team at Alabama; he won’t have that luxury in the NFL, at least in the beginning.  I don’t see elite speed, nor arm, nor size.  He’ll need the perfect landing spot to live up to expectations.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TDTimes said:

QB — Tua.  Threw to an All-Star team at Alabama; he won’t have that luxury in the NFL, at least in the beginning.  I don’t see elite speed, nor arm, nor size.  He’ll need the perfect landing spot to live up to expectations.

Burrow threw to future Top 5 pick Chase and better than any WR in this draft class, and Justin Jefferson who has a universal 1st Round Grade and 1st Round Lock. 

Not to mention Joe Brady being on par with Lincoln Riley with his passing concepts and landing an NFL job. 

The 1st Round usually has like 14 great players, 10 average to above average players, and 8 complete and utter busts. 

My eight bust candidates picked in the 1st Round are:

QB Justin Herbert

DT/Edge Marlon Davidson

EDGE K'Lavon Chaisson

S Xaiver McKinney

LB Kenneth Murray

WR Tee Higgins

QB Jacob Eason (if someone trades up for him)

I don’t expect to be a bust, and he could be a Top 15 WR, but has a very solid bust chance: WR CeeDee Lamb

I think Jalen Reagor and Laviska Shenault are big bust candidates as well. But they’ll be picked in the 2nd or 3rd. 

Edited by BayRaider

For QB, Love is obvious.  I'm pretty sure half my posts the last month have been crapping on Love.

For edge, I'd throw in Chaisson.  Don't like him.

There are others, I guess.  Ruggs would jump out to me at the WR position, not because I think he'll be bad, but because I don't think he's going to be what people think he will.

Higgens could be one.  He really gets shut down in press coverage.  Perhaps he could learn.

Chaisson will a much better 3-4 OLB than a 4-3 DE.  If he d=goes to a 4-3 team it might not end well.

Jordan Love - I just do not see it.

Zack Braun - If drafted as an EDGE player.  He will be a good SLB in a 4-3

Edited by jebrick

35 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Between Lamb, Reagor, and Mims getting three big time WRs from the Big 12 in one draft is... statistically improbable.

Lamb has a pretty high floor.  I could see Reagor flaming out if he goes to a poor situation.