Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
BrownLeader

Pick a Bust - 2020

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Burrow threw to future Top 5 pick Chase and better than any WR in this draft class, and Justin Jefferson who has a universal 1st Round Grade and 1st Round Lock. 
 

Not to mention Joe Brady being on par with Lincoln Riley with his passing concepts and landing an NFL job. 

True, but Burrow did shatter records with those advantages, and Burrow did against a tougher schedule than we've ever seen Bama under Saban. I thought Alabama's talent on offense was better than LSU's overall and, more importantly, I don't think LSU's offensive talent this year was an outlier vs the standard talent a given final four team has in any given year. Tua, to me at least, feels like the first legit NFL talent Saban had QB that could take advantage of their war chest of offensive talent. Now I'm rooting for both (I always want more good QBs in the NFL, not fewer) and could see a case where Tua ends up better than Burrow, but I agree that with @TDTimes that there's something about Tua that doesn't hit me the same way as Burrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Herbert

Higgins

Josh Jones

Becton

Eason

Also I'll take a flyer on Chase Young. Now, I don't really believe that. But anybody who is scared to test at defensive end has to be in the discussion. If Young had tested and put up numbers anything close to his high school results, there would be bust talk all over the place including on measures like SackSEER. 

So if he was afraid to test I'll allow some credit that he knew what he was doing. The payoff I would receive on busting would be far beyond the actual likelihood.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if Becton will be a total bust but I think he will definitely be over drafted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, BrownLeader said:

OT - Mehki Becton

He's a fatter Bryant McKinnie.

Didn’t Becton come in at 17% body fat?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah Love is the easy answer. I'd throw out Delpit and Reagor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Awsi Dooger said:

Also I'll take a flyer on Chase Young. Now, I don't really believe that. But anybody who is scared to test at defensive end has to be in the discussion. If Young had tested and put up numbers anything close to his high school results, there would be bust talk all over the place including on measures like SackSEER. 

So if he was afraid to test I'll allow some credit that he knew what he was doing. The payoff I would receive on busting would be far beyond the actual likelihood.

While I understand where you're coming from, this isn't any different than Burrow/other QB's not throwing. From these Top 5 guys' perspectives, they have nothing to gain and everything to lose by participating. They can't rise at all and can only fall, costing them millions. From a business perspective, it's the right move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can’t believe more people aren’t saying this, but I’m gonna go Joe Burrow.  Guy was barely draftable before last season, then goes out and has a historic year and nobody raises an eyebrow?  What happened there? I think it’s reasonable to at least credit Joe Brady with scheming and it certainly didn’t hurt to have Chase and Jefferson out there and throwing behind future NFL offensive linemen. He’s also slightly older than some of the other QBs in this class. It’s been mentioned he’s an average athlete with an average arm. What happens when you take the scheme and the super star receivers away?  Oh and by the way, he’s going to the Bengals who are notoriously cheap and dysfunctional.  I would give him a much better chance going to the Patriots, Saints, Chiefs or a place like that with a stable organization and coaching.  The Bengals could ask this kid to come in and be the savior, not sure he’s that kind of generational talent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tua - Not bust in terms of being a bad player, I actually think he would flash why he gets all of the hype but body wont be able to hold up to the demands of the NFL game.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The following QBs:

Herbert: Folds in bigger games

Love: At best he's Jay Cutler, just good enough to make you think he could be the guy, but so maddeningly inconsistent and INT prone that he ends up never taking that step.

Tua: Health concerns longer term.

Eason: Laughably poor vs pressure.... way overdrafted on frame/size/arm.  He's not quite Hackenberg, but he's close enough

Hurts: He spends the most time holding the ball of any QB in this class... He'll be a sack magnet in the NFL.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Fromm: I'm segregating him from the pack here only because I don't think he'll be a total bust, but rather just that he's going to be a bust relative to his draft expectations. This guy's absolute best case scenario imo is Josh McCown, as a capable career backup, but some team will draft him to be a full time starter, and he will "bust" in that role.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

*Braces himself*

Isaiah Simmons - I'm going to say this (and face the criticism) I watch him against physical teams like Ohio State and when I saw him in actually linebacker type of situations got taken for a ride against OT's and TEs rather easily, even worse than that, his eye discipline is suspect. I personally would keep him far away from the box as possible because I just flat out think he is cut out to be a base player in the box. Now him vs flex TEs and backs, or as a high safety, is another story.....

-I think a lot of people are so enamored with what his potential and physical abilities could do that they ignore the fundamental questions if he indeed intends on playing in the box.... *ducks*

-OSU literally ran the ball right at him and Dobbins had to have had like 120 yards when running right at him. I'm not saying he will be a bust but I think there is a book on neutralizing him and if NFL teams see it, they can expose him (at least at WLB) now if they keep him at SS or an overhang, he'll be fine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

*Braces himself*

Isaiah Simmons - I'm going to say this (and face the criticism) I watch him against physical teams like Ohio State and when I saw him in actually linebacker type of situations got taken for a ride against OT's and TEs rather easily, even worse than that, his eye discipline is suspect. I personally would keep him far away from the box as possible because I just flat out think he is cut out to be a base player in the box. Now him vs flex TEs and backs, or as a high safety, is another story.....

-I think a lot of people are so enamored with what his potential and physical abilities could do that they ignore the fundamental questions if he indeed intends on playing in the box.... *ducks*

-OSU literally ran the ball right at him and Dobbins had to have had like 120 yards when running right at him. I'm not saying he will be a bust but I think there is a book on neutralizing him and if NFL teams see it, they can expose him (at least at WLB) now if they keep him at SS or an overhang, he'll be fine

With Simmons, I see a great WLB sideline to sideline guy you can also match in coverage with RB and TE and use as a blitzer, and with his versatility, you can put him in the slot/push him back to S as well. I don't see a true MLB/SLB from him, but I think he's going to be a really good WLB and S hybrid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BoltsFan937 said:

Can’t believe more people aren’t saying this, but I’m gonna go Joe Burrow.  Guy was barely draftable before last season, then goes out and has a historic year and nobody raises an eyebrow?  What happened there? I think it’s reasonable to at least credit Joe Brady with scheming and it certainly didn’t hurt to have Chase and Jefferson out there and throwing behind future NFL offensive linemen. He’s also slightly older than some of the other QBs in this class. It’s been mentioned he’s an average athlete with an average arm. What happens when you take the scheme and the super star receivers away?  Oh and by the way, he’s going to the Bengals who are notoriously cheap and dysfunctional.  I would give him a much better chance going to the Patriots, Saints, Chiefs or a place like that with a stable organization and coaching.  The Bengals could ask this kid to come in and be the savior, not sure he’s that kind of generational talent

You’re underselling Burrow as a player. It’s pretty clear how special he is if you watch him. His play transcends the scheme and supporting cast. 

Also, we need to extinguish this slander that we’re cheap. We spent the 13th most money on players since the last CBA started. We’re generally conservative and don’t spend frivolously on outside free agents, but we have no problem paying our own. We do spend, just not as aggressively as everyone else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

You’re underselling Burrow as a player. It’s pretty clear how special he is if you watch him. His play transcends the scheme and supporting cast. 

Also, we need to extinguish this slander that we’re cheap. We spent the 13th most money on players since the last CBA started. We’re generally conservative and don’t spend frivolously on outside free agents, but we have no problem paying our own. We do spend, just not as aggressively as everyone else. 

How have yall been on paying to upgrade facilities and get top notch assistant coaches?

Genuinely asking cause I thought that was part of the 'cheap' narrative.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Herbert & Eason, esp. for the draft capital that's being discussed.

Becton's lack of pass pro technique, again for the capital being discussed.

Any TE that goes Rd2 or earlier.....

I was really high on Delpit until Nov/Dec, but I think the short arms explains why his tackling has been an issue.  That doesn't seem like it's going to go away.

 

Edited by Broncofan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×