Post Combine Thoughts

Just Want A Title

What if Young falls to us at 3 and a team like the raiders/jags/dolphins call and offer both 1st rd picks(and something next year) for 3rd spot do we take it and get more players or do we take Young? i understand the whole Young is best prospect since slice bread but realistically were not 1 Chase Young away from a Super Bowl. but trading down with the raiders/jags were prob not getting Simmons or Okudah. Maybe Derrick Brown falls and we get Brown and a WR. or aj epenesa, or McKinney... 

do we do the trade down or just go with Young.

7 minutes ago, flyguy1609 said:

What if Young falls to us at 3 and a team like the raiders/jags/dolphins call and offer both 1st rd picks(and something next year) for 3rd spot do we take it and get more players or do we take Young? i understand the whole Young is best prospect since slice bread but realistically were not 1 Chase Young away from a Super Bowl. but trading down with the raiders/jags were prob not getting Simmons or Okudah. Maybe Derrick Brown falls and we get Brown and a WR. or aj epenesa, or McKinney... 

It's a tough one. In a draft this deep, I'm a huge believer in quantity over quality. That being said, Young is a special quality, and I feel that a pairing of Flowers and Young, with the pieces we already have, would immediately make this defense a pretty good unit.

12 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

It's a tough one. In a draft this deep, I'm a huge believer in quantity over quality. That being said, Young is a special quality, and I feel that a pairing of Flowers and Young, with the pieces we already have, would immediately make this defense a pretty good unit.

If Young is available, it means Tua went 2.   That means the trade value is going to drop considerably.  I think we have to take Young if available.  its the biggest weakness on our team matched with the best talent in the draft.  If the choice is between Young and pick 9, another 2nd and another 4th or something that would match the trade value chart, I am taking Young all day.  

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

If Young is available, it means Tua went 2.   That means the trade value is going to drop considerably.  I think we have to take Young if available.  its the biggest weakness on our team matched with the best talent in the draft.  If the choice is between Young and pick 9, another 2nd and another 4th or something that would match the trade value chart, I am taking Young all day.  

I don't know if the trade value would drop if the target is Young vs Tua but there is practically nothing that could be offered where I would bypass on Young. 

2 hours ago, flyguy1609 said:

I'm taking more players.  I like Young, but if I could walk away with something like (Brown/kinlaw/epenesa), (CJ Henderson/your second favorite DB) and extra picks next year...I mean, that's tough to pass on.
I also don't know if it is out of the realm of possibility Simmons is there at 9.  Unlikely, yes, impossible, I'm not so sure.

Edited by LionArkie
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

I'm taking more players.  I like Young, but if I could walk away with something like (Brown/kinlaw/epenesa), (CJ Henderson/your second favorite DB) and extra picks next year...I mean, that's tough to pass on.
I also don't know if it is out of the realm of possibility Simmons is there at 9.  Unlikely, yes, impossible, I'm not so sure.

I agree and I'm actually cooling off on Young a little too....or maybe I was just never quite intrigued as most people.

This is an extremely good draft class. I want as many picks as possible. 

I also think that's why were shopping Slay. Quinn certainly knows just how deep this draft is. I think hes praying for a trade down as well but we speculate that here pretty much every year lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, detroitroar said:

I agree and I'm actually cooling off on Young a little too....or maybe I was just never quite intrigued as most people.

This is an extremely good draft class. I want as many picks as possible. 

I also think that's why were shopping Slay. Quinn certainly knows just how deep this draft is. I think hes praying for a trade down as well but we speculate that here pretty much every year lol

I think Young is cooling because he didn't perform at the combine.  If he does at the pro day, he will jolt right back up boards like Myles Garrett did.  He is a stud at our biggest position of need.  I would not want to take the chance on missing out on him if we had the chance.  

I agree there are a lot of good players, and I think the biggest bust of a draft we can have is staying at 3 and not getting Young or Tua.  I have a feeling we stay there and take someone like Kinlaw or one of the OTs.  Just based on my disappointments the last few years. I will be really happy with anyone of my top 5/6 players in a trade down scenario while gaining multiple top picks.  Although I would be sad to miss out on Young if we have the chance to draft him. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LionArkie said:

I just look at the overall impact of these guys vs Young. If he is who they talk him up to be, as good as either of the Bosa's, then he's an instant impact guy that should make other guys on the defensive line be better. From day 1. Brown is a good player but he's not the next Suh. Epenesa is a Trey Flowers clone. There really is a huge drop off on edge rushers and CB's (at least the ones that fit our scheme). Henderson has to be the next guy for us after Okudah followed by Diggs. 

7 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I just look at the overall impact of these guys vs Young. If he is who they talk him up to be, as good as either of the Bosa's, then he's an instant impact guy that should make other guys on the defensive line be better. From day 1. Brown is a good player but he's not the next Suh. Epenesa is a Trey Flowers clone. There really is a huge drop off on edge rushers and CB's (at least the ones that fit our scheme). Henderson has to be the next guy for us after Okudah followed by Diggs. 

I've heard the talk on Young and understand he is a phenomenal athlete.  I'm a little nervous of him though.  I only watched two games of his, Michigan and Clemson.  Michigan shut him down, and I don't remember him having a huge impact on the Clemson game.  Maybe I am not remembering the Clemson game that well.  Don't get me wrong, I think he is going to be good...but is he the future hall of famer that makes him worth more than two possible All-Pro players (speaking in extremes here)? I guess that's the question. Since we are speculating how they are going to be in the pros, would you rather have a possible hall of famer, or two possible All-Pros? One would be an improvement on the DL, the other option improves the DL and secondary.  I just can't move past that idea.

32 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I think Young is cooling because he didn't perform at the combine.  If he does at the pro day, he will jolt right back up boards like Myles Garrett did.  He is a stud at our biggest position of need.  I would not want to take the chance on missing out on him if we had the chance.  

I agree there are a lot of good players, and I think the biggest bust of a draft we can have is staying at 3 and not getting Young or Tua.  I have a feeling we stay there and take someone like Kinlaw or one of the OTs.  Just based on my disappointments the last few years. I will be really happy with anyone of my top 5/6 players in a trade down scenario while gaining multiple top picks.  Although I would be sad to miss out on Young if we have the chance to draft him. 

It goes before the combine for me with him. I dont think he has the power and strength you would desire at such a high pick. 

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

If Young did perform at the combine, I don't think any of us would be having this discussion. He knows he's a top 3 pick regardless of things. All working out would do for him is potentially wind up in injury. 

Him being a top 3 pick isn't just what were talking about.

He gets mentioned as the best thing since Peppers. Better than both the Bosas. Yadda yadda. I dont think hes quite that.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

If Young did perform at the combine, I don't think any of us would be having this discussion. He knows he's a top 3 pick regardless of things. All working out would do for him is potentially wind up in injury. 

I don't deny he is very talented and worthy of top 3, but like detroitroar said, is he the best thing since Peppers?  His Michigan tape wouldn't suggest it, and his 40 time wouldn't improve the tape in that game. Is he the best DE prospect this year? Without a doubt.

Edited by LionArkie

21 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

I don't deny he is very talented and worthy of top 3, but like detroitroar said, is he the best thing since Peppers?  His Michigan tape wouldn't suggest it, and his 40 time wouldn't improve the tape in that game. Is he the best DE prospect this year? Without a doubt.

So what if he's Myles Garrett and not Julius Peppers? Michigan game planned for him and invested a ton of resources in his direction (chips, double teams, keeping RB on his side, quick passing game). They still lost the game by a long shot. 

5 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

So what if he's Myles Garrett and not Julius Peppers? Michigan game planned for him and invested a ton of resources in his direction (chips, double teams, keeping RB on his side, quick passing game). They still lost the game by a long shot. 

He also was all over the backfield pressuring Patterson and Lawrence.  He just didnt get home but its not always about getting the sack if you can disrupt.  

Also, Myles Garrett had 8.5 sacks his last year in college and 4.5 of them came against Texas San-Antonio.  He had none against Bama, but was an athlete enough that they knew he wouldnt be triple teamed in the NFL and would be able to break out.