Post Combine Thoughts

Just Want A Title

I think it's telling that negativity towards Tua (and, really, this QB class) only began when the combine kicked off.

Prior to that point, it appeared that the consensus was that Burrow and Tua were franchise players, Herbert and Love were mid-1st round prospects, and a few additional QBs could be taken in rounds 2-3. Now, you start to hear how Miami "doesn't prefer Tua", or teams have removed Tua from their board due to his injury history.

It's all smokescreens. Tua is in high demand, and anything that is said from now until the draft that disputes that is just a smokescreen.

• Like 2

On 3/6/2020 at 9:30 PM, BigC421/ said:

Seriously?  This is one of the best qb classes in along time.  Burrow and Tua are both top 5 qb prospects of the past decade

Top heavy - Burrow, Tua, Love, Herbert... sure. Then there's a huge drop off with Eason, Hurts, Fromm, etc. It's not to say that it couldn't wind up being one of the better QB classes but at the present time, that's not the case (in my opinion). 

1 minute ago, Karnage84 said:

Top heavy - Burrow, Tua, Love, Herbert... sure. Then there's a huge drop off with Eason, Hurts, Fromm, etc. It's not to say that it couldn't wind up being one of the better QB classes but at the present time, that's not the case (in my opinion). 

Whens the last time a class had 4 real QB prospects?  Even top 2 this good?  If those 4 pan out or 1 of the later prospects, it would be one of the best QB classes ever. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Whens the last time a class had 4 real QB prospects?  Even top 2 this good?  If those 4 pan out or 1 of the later prospects, it would be one of the best QB classes ever. 

That's assuming that Herbert and/or Love work out, Tua's injury history isn't an issue moving forward and that Burrow is as good as he's expected to be after a single (albeit incredible) season. I'd love to see it happen along with Fromm overcoming his physical deficiencies, Eason not just being a traits guy and Hurts proving he really is a QB. Just trying to not get carried away by the fact that we are in draft season and QB's always get inflated at this time of year. 

45 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

That's assuming that Herbert and/or Love work out, Tua's injury history isn't an issue moving forward and that Burrow is as good as he's expected to be after a single (albeit incredible) season. I'd love to see it happen along with Fromm overcoming his physical deficiencies, Eason not just being a traits guy and Hurts proving he really is a QB. Just trying to not get carried away by the fact that we are in draft season and QB's always get inflated at this time of year. 

I'm not even talking about what they become to be honest.  there are four legit first round QBs, that doesnt happen often.  Occasionally a supply and demand shift will cause Ponder and Gabbert to be drafted int he first but this is a legit 4 QBs as first round prospects, including the first two picks.  This is probably the best draft class since 2012 at least for QBs.  And although they had some 1st round flops, there were also some late round gems. 2018 Was another big year for QBs but even then, the top QB in 18 was not as highly sought after as Tua or Burrows.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I'm not even talking about what they become to be honest.  there are four legit first round QBs, that doesnt happen often.  Occasionally a supply and demand shift will cause Ponder and Gabbert to be drafted int he first but this is a legit 4 QBs as first round prospects, including the first two picks.  This is probably the best draft class since 2012 at least for QBs.  And although they had some 1st round flops, there were also some late round gems. 2018 Was another big year for QBs but even then, the top QB in 18 was not as highly sought after as Tua or Burrows.  

There's going to be a better class next year with Lawrence, Fields, Jamie Newman along with other guys that haven't shown themselves yet. 

Last year isn't that much different with Murray, Jones, Haskins and Lock + Minshew (as a late round guy that blossomed) than this year. We've also got two guys in the first round discussion who are being pegged as guys that should be red-shirted this year (Tua and Love). 

This is definitely not a Gabbert or Ponder or Paxton Lynch type of year. It just feels like a fairly usual draft class with the middle of the class having more questions than being surefire guys. I want nothing more than to see Jake Fromm be a starting caliber NFL QB. He's just going to have a tough climb to get there. 

4 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

There's going to be a better class next year with Lawrence, Fields, Jamie Newman along with other guys that haven't shown themselves yet. 

Last year isn't that much different with Murray, Jones, Haskins and Lock + Minshew (as a late round guy that blossomed) than this year. We've also got two guys in the first round discussion who are being pegged as guys that should be red-shirted this year (Tua and Love). 

This is definitely not a Gabbert or Ponder or Paxton Lynch type of year. It just feels like a fairly usual draft class with the middle of the class having more questions than being surefire guys. I want nothing more than to see Jake Fromm be a starting caliber NFL QB. He's just going to have a tough climb to get there. 

I guess most years there is only 1 or 2 QBs that don’t have questions, and even those guys like Burrow have questions.  Wentz and Goff has questions, Mayfield had questions.  Never has a team drafted a QB outside of the high 2nd expecting them to be a stud.  Anyone that falls to the second has a ton of questions.  Beyond that they just hope they can be a decent back up.  The top two QBs have questions this year but other than Tuas medical, none are as big of questions on talent as the last group of QBs since Luck.  

9 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I guess most years there is only 1 or 2 QBs that don’t have questions, and even those guys like Burrow have questions.  Wentz and Goff has questions, Mayfield had questions.  Never has a team drafted a QB outside of the high 2nd expecting them to be a stud.  Anyone that falls to the second has a ton of questions.  Beyond that they just hope they can be a decent back up.  The top two QBs have questions this year but other than Tuas medical, none are as big of questions on talent as the last group of QBs since Luck.  

That's all fair. My point is just that it's draft time and guys are either pushed up to be can't miss prospects or picked apart despite having been shown to be very good players. Jordan Love has the tools to be a top tier QB but 2019 leaves some major question marks. It wouldn't surprise me if he was a great QB or an average one. Jalen Hurts could be Dak Prescott or just another guy that is coming in with a big name because he was great in college. If Wentz went to a school that wasn't North Dakota State I don't think that he's playing in Philly vs LA, etc. 

This is a class that is definitely getting a lot of attention but we've had a lot of attention to some big names in years past.