packfanfb

It's that time again. 

Current cap space (spotrac) -- $18.5 million

Cap casualties: 

1. Graham -- savings = $8 million

2. Taylor -- savings = $4.6 million

Cap after savings: ~ $31.1 million

Resignings other than Crosby: 

1. Jared Veldheer - 2 years, 8 million (cap hit: $3.5m) 

2. Tyler Ervin - 1 year, $750,000 

3. All your ERFAs 

Adjusted Cap: ~ $26 million

Free Agency

1. Austin Hooper - TE - 4 years, $42 million (2020 cap hit = $8 million) 

Image result for austin hooper

I'm actually not a "huge" fan of dumping one bad TE contract and dipping right back into the pool, but I think Gute will feel differently and with a pretty weak WR FA class, both Gute and LaFleur will zero in on Hooper. He's not going to be cheap as the top TE option once Henry gets franchised. I think he'll top the $10+m/avg/yr mark after a bidding war. 

2. Jarran Reed - IDL - 4 years, $44 million (2020 cap hit = $7 million)

Image result for jarran reed

Packers were reportedly in early on Malik Jackson last year before he went to Philly. Malik was two years older and hit around $10m/year in his deal with the Eagles. I think Reed comes in around the same at age 27, coming off a down year that featured a 6-game suspension and only 2 sacks. In 2018, the guy was a force with 10.5 sacks, playing all 16 games. At 6'3", 305, he's fits the 3T we lost with Daniels and provides stability next to Clark. 

3. Danny Trevathan - ILB - 3 years, $17 million (2020 cap hit = $4 million) 

Image result for danny trevathan

Trevathan, otherwise known as Rashan Gary's long lost twin, is the type of veteran, plug-and-play leader I think we can use in the middle and who won't cost $10 million per year. Pair him with a rookie on day 2/3 of the draft, and I think we have a serviceable group behind a D-line that now has Reed and Clark up front. First things first, he'll have to patch things up with Davante after knocking him out a few years ago...

*(I wanted to add Taylor Gabriel here on a small deal because I think he'd be a solid short-term fit in this offense, but it might be cutting the cap too close -- so leave him out for now and head to the draft) 

DRAFT

Round 1 (Pick 30) -- Josh Jones (OT) - Houston 

Image result for josh jones houston 800

At 30, the pick isn't sexy or even necessarily one that helps us Day 1, but it's the smart play with Bulaga gone and Veldheer as the short term option. Ideally, Jones kicks *** and Veldheer becomes a safety-net, not the starter as the season progresses. Jones didn't have the glamorous RAS score Gute covets (mid-7 I believe) but he moves well on tape. Should be a good fit. 

Round 2 (Pick 62) -- Donovan Peoples-Jones (WR) - Michigan 

Image result for donovan peoples jones

I'm a Michigan guy so I've watched a lot of DPJ over the years. He's going to be a better pro than a college player in terms of production. His QB play was sub-par most of his career and Michigan had a lot of WRs competing for the ball as well. I like DPJ better than Mims from Baylor in terms of his overall skillset, as well as his readiness to play now. DPJ is also a pretty experienced punt returner if needed even with Ervin on the roster. Can play the big slot position or on the outside. Has outstanding awareness and control around the sidelines, something 12 loves from his WRs. 

Round 3 (Pick 94) - Jeremy Chinn (S/LB) - Southern Illinois

Image result for jeremy chinn

Gute loves versatile defensive swiss-army knife players and Chinn fits the mold. Tore up the combine and while we have Raven Greene, we hold off on resigning Campbell and draft Chinn instead. Can play multiple positions and may need some time to develop his football IQ, but if used correctly, he could succeed where Josh Jones failed. 

Round 4  - Jonathan Garvin (EDGE) - Miami (Fla)

Image result for jonathan garvin miami 800

Garvin is a talented EDGE prospect with potential motor issues. What better than to put in the same room as the Smiths... Posted a decent 8.88 RAS and possesses the size Pettine likes out of his EDGE players. Adds a pass rusher to replace the loss of Fackrell. 

Round 5 - Darrynton Evans (RB) - Appalachian St. 

Image result for darrynton evans

I really like Evans and don't know if he'll last this long after his combine (4.41 forty). One-cut, outside-zone RB who should fit in well in competing with a 2nd-year Dexter Williams for playing time behind Jones/Williams and potentially becomes a viable replacement for Jones if he walks after next year. 

Round 6 - Willie Gay Jr. (ILB) - Miss. St. 

Image result for willie gay jr

Guy punched out his own teammate which is why I think he's available in the 6th round despite his workout, and also why I take a shot on him. Frankly, I want some more nasty added to the ILB room. Gay flies around the ball and could be a hidden gem or out of football in 2 years based on his character. Worth the risk in the 6th round. 

Round 6  - James Morgan (QB) - Florida Intl. 

Image result for james morgan fiu

The next Gardner Minshew. We trade Rodgers for six 1st round picks at the deadline. 

Round 6 - Danny Pinter (IOL) - Ball State

Image result for danny pinter ball state

Converted TE who can move (9.62 RAS). Played tackle last year in college but probably better suited for guard in the NFL. 

Round 7 - Reggie Robinson (CB) - Tulsa

Image result for reggie robinson tulsa

Another high RAS guy (9.75) and I needed a CB in my draft. That's about it. 

Round 7 - Carlos Davis (NT) - Nebraska

Image result for carlos davis nebraska

Another high RAS guy (9.61). Basically a big guy (315 Ibs) who can run fast for his size (4.82). Shorter arms will hurt him, but may have a chance to stick if Lancaster doesn't return. 

I'm not doing the roster/depth chart thing. The end. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, packfanfb said:

It's that time again. 

Current cap space (spotrac) -- $18.5 million

Cap casualties: 

1. Graham -- savings = $8 million

2. Taylor -- savings = $4.6 million

Cap after savings: ~ $31.1 million

Resignings other than Crosby: 

1. Jared Veldheer - 2 years, 8 million (cap hit: $3.5m) 

2. Tyler Ervin - 1 year, $750,000 

3. All your ERFAs 

Adjusted Cap: ~ $26 million

Free Agency

1. Austin Hooper - TE - 4 years, $42 million (2020 cap hit = $8 million) 

Image result for austin hooper

I'm actually not a "huge" fan of dumping one bad TE contract and dipping right back into the pool, but I think Gute will feel differently and with a pretty weak WR FA class, both Gute and LaFleur will zero in on Hooper. He's not going to be cheap as the top TE option once Henry gets franchised. I think he'll top the $10+m/avg/yr mark after a bidding war. 

2. Jarran Reed - IDL - 4 years, $44 million (2020 cap hit = $7 million)

Image result for jarran reed

Packers were reportedly in early on Malik Jackson last year before he went to Philly. Malik was two years older and hit around $10m/year in his deal with the Eagles. I think Reed comes in around the same at age 27, coming off a down year that featured a 6-game suspension and only 2 sacks. In 2018, the guy was a force with 10.5 sacks, playing all 16 games. At 6'3", 305, he's fits the 3T we lost with Daniels and provides stability next to Clark. 

3. Danny Trevathan - ILB - 3 years, $17 million (2020 cap hit = $4 million) 

Image result for danny trevathan

Trevathan, otherwise known as Rashan Gary's long lost twin, is the type of veteran, plug-and-play leader I think we can use in the middle and who won't cost $10 million per year. Pair him with a rookie on day 2/3 of the draft, and I think we have a serviceable group behind a D-line that now has Reed and Clark up front. First things first, he'll have to patch things up with Davante after knocking him out a few years ago...

*(I wanted to add Taylor Gabriel here on a small deal because I think he'd be a solid short-term fit in this offense, but it might be cutting the cap too close -- so leave him out for now and head to the draft) 

DRAFT

Round 1 (Pick 30) -- Josh Jones (OT) - Houston 

Image result for josh jones houston 800

At 30, the pick isn't sexy or even necessarily one that helps us Day 1, but it's the smart play with Bulaga gone and Veldheer as the short term option. Ideally, Jones kicks *** and Veldheer becomes a safety-net, not the starter as the season progresses. Jones didn't have the glamorous RAS score Gute covets (mid-7 I believe) but he moves well on tape. Should be a good fit. 

Round 2 (Pick 62) -- Donovan Peoples-Jones (WR) - Michigan 

Image result for donovan peoples jones

I'm a Michigan guy so I've watched a lot of DPJ over the years. He's going to be a better pro than a college player in terms of production. His QB play was sub-par most of his career and Michigan had a lot of WRs competing for the ball as well. I like DPJ better than Mims from Baylor in terms of his overall skillset, as well as his readiness to play now. DPJ is also a pretty experienced punt returner if needed even with Ervin on the roster. Can play the big slot position or on the outside. Has outstanding awareness and control around the sidelines, something 12 loves from his WRs. 

Round 3 (Pick 94) - Jeremy Chinn (S/LB) - Southern Illinois

Image result for jeremy chinn

Gute loves versatile defensive swiss-army knife players and Chinn fits the mold. Tore up the combine and while we have Raven Greene, we hold off on resigning Campbell and draft Chinn instead. Can play multiple positions and may need some time to develop his football IQ, but if used correctly, he could succeed where Josh Jones failed. 

Round 4  - Jonathan Garvin (EDGE) - Miami (Fla)

Image result for jonathan garvin miami 800

Garvin is a talented EDGE prospect with potential motor issues. What better than to put in the same room as the Smiths... Posted a decent 8.88 RAS and possesses the size Pettine likes out of his EDGE players. Adds a pass rusher to replace the loss of Fackrell. 

Round 5 - Darrynton Evans (RB) - Appalachian St. 

Image result for darrynton evans

I really like Evans and don't know if he'll last this long after his combine (4.41 forty). One-cut, outside-zone RB who should fit in well in competing with a 2nd-year Dexter Williams for playing time behind Jones/Williams and potentially becomes a viable replacement for Jones if he walks after next year. 

Round 6 - Willie Gay Jr. (ILB) - Miss. St. 

Image result for willie gay jr

Guy punched out his own teammate which is why I think he's available in the 6th round despite his workout, and also why I take a shot on him. Frankly, I want some more nasty added to the ILB room. Gay flies around the ball and could be a hidden gem or out of football in 2 years based on his character. Worth the risk in the 6th round. 

Round 6  - James Morgan (QB) - Florida Intl. 

Image result for james morgan fiu

The next Gardner Minshew. We trade Rodgers for six 1st round picks at the deadline. 

Round 6 - Danny Pinter (IOL) - Ball State

Image result for danny pinter ball state

Converted TE who can move (9.62 RAS). Played tackle last year in college but probably better suited for guard in the NFL. 

Round 7 - Reggie Robinson (CB) - Tulsa

Image result for reggie robinson tulsa

Another high RAS guy (9.75) and I needed a CB in my draft. That's about it. 

Round 7 - Carlos Davis (NT) - Nebraska

Image result for carlos davis nebraska

Another high RAS guy (9.61). Basically a big guy (315 Ibs) who can run fast for his size (4.82). Shorter arms will hurt him, but may have a chance to stick if Lancaster doesn't return. 

I'm not doing the roster/depth chart thing. The end. 

I’d be cool with this offseason. In general the direction is right 

I don't like Hooper, but I'd guess that's a third year out and then whatever. I really don't think that prime Hooper is much better than washed Graham but oh well. Jarran I would like. If we could get our hands on Jarran/Robinson/Brockers/Phillips//Onyemata/Name a DT who can win a 1v1 and at least stalemate a double I trust I'll find enough to like about the draft.

I haven't watched either of the early dudes because we ARE re-signing Bulaga!.. but I'm sure I can get down with both. I hope Jones is ready to start by the bye week because everyone is going to be ready to run Veldheer out of town by then.

I don't get the love for DPJ. Can't tell me Patterson was a worse college QB than Brewer in Baylor and DPJ never did anything. 

I think a much better WR will be there for us in Rd 2.

Other than that, don't really have any complaints, hope we don't sign Hooper in real life but I wouldn't hate it cause this TE class sucks.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I don't get the love for DPJ. Can't tell me Patterson was a worse college QB than Brewer in Baylor and DPJ never did anything. 

Other than that, don't really have any complaints, hope we don't sign Hooper in real life but I wouldn't hate it cause this TE class sucks.

Guys I'd put in front of DPJ are: 

Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs, J. Jefferson, Reagor, Higgins, Aiyuk and probably Shenault. I realistically think all 8 may be gone by pick 62, otherwise, the guy left is probably the pick over DPJ. I also like Van Jefferson but he's 24 and Hamler is tiny. That basically leaves Mims and I like DPJ over him. A wildcard at 62 could be Tyler Johnson if he has a really good pro day.

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Too much for Veldheer.

Too much for a non pass rushing DT.

Other than that, I like it.

Veldheer I don't really have a feel for contract wise. Former starter for several years, then retires and then unretires. Got a 1-year, $3.5m deal from us mid-year last season so I figure he's going to cost in the $3-4 yr/avg range. 

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Too much for Veldheer.

If it's basically a 1 year $4m deal for Veldheer, that's fine for me.

Agree on Reed though 

Edited by JBURGE

43 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I don't see what there's not to like about DPJ. Size and speed both play. Great runner, can break tackles. Patterson most certainly held him back.

34 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Guys I'd put in front of DPJ are: 

Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs, J. Jefferson, Reagor, Higgins, Aiyuk and probably Shenault. I realistically think all 8 may be gone by pick 62, otherwise, the guy left is probably the pick over DPJ. I also like Van Jefferson but he's 24 and Hamler is tiny. That basically leaves Mims and I like DPJ over him. A wildcard at 62 could be Tyler Johnson if he has a really good pro day.

I'd probably take Claypool, Hamler, Johnson, Pittman and for sure Mims over him and there's no way at least one of those guys don't make it to our 2nd. 

DPJ is this guy everyone says will be such a better pro than college player, but it's purely based on athletic testing. I don't see a great router runner, not overly impressive YAC guy. Just all trait based. Patterson is not an NFL QB, but I don't buy that he was this awful college QB. Reagor had an awful college QB, Patterson was good enough for him to put up numbers.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Too much for Veldheer.

I think the free agent signings costs are way low. Hooper will get 12 mil at least IMO and you low balled the other signings. Hope you are right but I doubt it.

13 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'd probably take Claypool, Hamler, Johnson, Pittman and for sure Mims over him and there's no way at least one of those guys don't make it to our 2nd. 

DPJ is this guy everyone says will be such a better pro than college player, but it's purely based on athletic testing. I don't see a great router runner, not overly impressive YAC guy. Just all trait based. Patterson is not an NFL QB, but I don't buy that he was this awful college QB. Reagor had an awful college QB, Patterson was good enough for him to put up numbers.

Something about Mims just turns me off. I didn't watch much Baylor football but every review I read about the guy immediately talks about "poor route running," "slow out of his breaks" and related short-comings. DPJ isn't a savant in those areas, but I think he's better.