The anxiety and/or panic attack thread

rob_shadows

Do you have anxiety issues or panic attacks?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have anxiety issues or panic attacks?

• Nope, I'm always chill
    • I have anxiety occasionally but that's it
    • I have frequent anxiety but never panic attacks
    • I have infrequent panic attacks
    • I have frequent panic attacks (panic disorder

So I have pretty bad anxiety problems and diagnosed panic disorder and I've always found that often just being able to talk about it with people who have similar problems can be helpful so I figured why not have a thread on here for it.

Obviously this isn't intended to replace professional assistance for those who have serious problems but it definitely helps sometimes to hear ideas from other people with similar issues because unfortunately there is no 100% sure fire fix... What works for some will not for others, etc...

For me when I start to feel an anxiety attack come on i use breathing exercises to try to get it under control before it turns into a full blown panic attack... Which usually works but if it doesn't I haven't found anything that can help stop an actual panic attack... Basically it's just strap yourself in and ride it out for me.

Just now, iPwn said:

Used to have some serious anxiety issues. Got that under control now. Haven’t had an anxiety attack in almost a year. And just let me say, life is so much easier now. Nothing seems hard anymore. 

It's amazing how much of a difference something that seems so minor to a lot of people can make in a persons quality of life

1 hour ago, jfinley88 said:

haven't had panic attacks in like 4 years, but pretty consistent sense of anxiety every day. 

Exact same. Got diagnosed with ADHD at 22 and once I got that a little more under control the panic attacks went away.

52 minutes ago, Tyty said:

I've had two panic attacks this year I think which was way less than my normal lol. Pretty infrequent, pretty much just when my emotions get the best of me 

I swear sometimes it seems like having long gaps in between them actually makes them worse, lol. When I first started having them when I was 21 (I'm 30 now) I was having them almost daily, sometimes more than once a day for a few months until the meds started kicking in to help control them (typical SSRI strategy). And I noticed that the more I had them... The less severe they got because it was almost like having them so much desensitized me... Now I don't have full blown panic attacks very often usually just severe anxiety but when they do come since I'm not so use to them anymore they tend to be pretty bad.

I'll never forget my first one... Wound up in the hospital thinking something was seriously wrong because I had never had any anxiety or panic issues whatsoever until that panic attack hit for no apparent reason. So strange when doctors are telling you it's all in your head and there is nothing physically wrong with you yet you feel like you're about to die.

On a lighter note... This made me literally laugh out loud when it happened so I thought some of you might get a chuckle as well...I created the thread on my phone and I use Swype and when creating the thread title my phone put a certain other p word and this thread was very nearly about being attacked by a certain male body part before I noticed itxD

8 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

I'll never forget my first one... Wound up in the hospital thinking something was seriously wrong because I had never had any anxiety or panic issues whatsoever until that panic attack hit for no apparent reason.

So much more common than you'd think. Tons of people think they're having a heart attack and seek medical help. Pretty crazy your body can trick you like that.

Have general anxiety and panic attacks when ever I do what my therapist says is "novel." Stuff like first day of a new school, new job, etc. Actually not practicing law right now because of it because I wanted to be a trial attorney and that is just not conducive. Xanax helps when I have one but also knocks me out pretty good. Haven't had one in over a year though, also haven't changed anything either so don't know if I'm better.

16 hours ago, iPwn said:

Used to have some serious anxiety issues. Got that under control now. Haven’t had an anxiety attack in almost a year. And just let me say, life is so much easier now. Nothing seems hard anymore. 

Should also say my general anxiety is gone too. I get a bit anxious in situations like deadlines, but nothing bad, and probably what’s considered the absolute norm for a high pressure situation. Otherwise, life is great when you can worry about things at a normal, healthy level.

5 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

So much more common than you'd think. Tons of people think they're having a heart attack and seek medical help. Pretty crazy your body can trick you like that.

It really is, even now when I have them I tend to freak out more than I should because even though I know it's just a panic attack there is always that thought in the back of my mind that says "well what if this is the one time something really is wrong and I'm just assuming it's a panic attack?".

3 hours ago, mse326 said:

Have general anxiety and panic attacks when ever I do what my therapist says is "novel." Stuff like first day of a new school, new job, etc. Actually not practicing law right now because of it because I wanted to be a trial attorney and that is just not conducive. Xanax helps when I have one but also knocks me out pretty good. Haven't had one in over a year though, also haven't changed anything either so don't know if I'm better.

I definitely know the feeling when it comes to not doing things you want to because of panic attacks, I got to a point where I'd rarely leave the house and was basically agoraphobic for a while. Also know the feeling with benzos, I've never been on xanax but I was on ativan for a couple years and while they certainly help with anxiety and panic attacks there is no denying that the effects of the drugs hinder your ability to function to some level. I use to have to take the ativan while I was working to keep from having panic attacks at times and I'd basically be a zombie doing my job. 

Archived