The anxiety and/or panic attack thread

rob_shadows

Do you have anxiety issues or panic attacks?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have anxiety issues or panic attacks?

• Nope, I'm always chill
    • I have anxiety occasionally but that's it
    • I have frequent anxiety but never panic attacks
    • I have infrequent panic attacks
    • I have frequent panic attacks (panic disorder

I have IBS and anxiety that go hand in hand, I'm not really sure which one causes the other.  Things as simple as going into meetings at work or getting on public transportation cause me a good deal of anxiety.  I was on medication that helped but ever since I started working from home I'm generally much less anxious.  

I'm starting a new job on Monday that won't be from home that has me pretty nervous.  I should probably go back on the meds just as a precaution.  

I had panic attacks a few years back when I first moved to FL.  It was just my gf and I at the time and we hadn't really made any friends yet.  I had no family in the area but she did.  So, if we ever had issues, she would go to her family's house and I'd be stuck at home by myself.  At 22, knowing nobody and being that far from home, it gave me panic attacks that were the scariest things I've ever had to deal with.  I got over it in about a year, though, after I became more active socially with different sports and met some cool people.

Started a couple years ago for me. Really didn't know what was going on because I'm naturally so chill, actually ended up driving to the ER twice at 3am because I thought I was having a heart attack.  Ended up as a waste of money.  X-Rays and all the works, just to tell me I was as healthy as can be..

I still get a least one panic attack a month, and most times I still struggle to control it.  Should probably get some type of medication but I'm stubborn.

The most helpful thing for me is staying off social media... Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, etc... when dealing with anxiety these things REALLY do damage.  If you're feeling it coming on, I'd suggest deleting any form of social media.. get rid of the phone and find a way that relaxes you and kills time... 

1 hour ago, samsel23 said:

Started a couple years ago for me. Really didn't know what was going on because I'm naturally so chill, actually ended up driving to the ER twice at 3am because I thought I was having a heart attack.  Ended up as a waste of money.  X-Rays and all the works, just to tell me I was as healthy as can be..

I still get a least one panic attack a month, and most times I still struggle to control it.  Should probably get some type of medication but I'm stubborn.

The most helpful thing for me is staying off social media... Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, etc... when dealing with anxiety these things REALLY do damage.  If you're feeling it coming on, I'd suggest deleting any form of social media.. get rid of the phone and find a way that relaxes you and kills time... 

What do you think causes you to have these attacks and why is staying off of social media helpful to you?  I'm genuinely interested in your story.

12 hours ago, showtime said:

What do you think causes you to have these attacks and why is staying off of social media helpful to you?  I'm genuinely interested in your story.

I'm not sure any panic attack can boil down to one specific reason.  For me personally, it's kind of ive always had social anxiety.. it used to be masked by being active in sports(starting pg, starting QB and S, and starting SS in baseball), so I was always the voice when participating in sports.  Appearing Extroverted in sports, when in reality I'm extremely introverted.

Once sports were gone I lost my way to let my voice be heard and that's when I started noticing who I was...  I appear extroverted to most so most of my friends are constantly active and hitting me up.. it's a sensory overload and that's when I feel the panic set in.  That's why I said getting rid of social media really helps me personally.. social media is really just a way for people to show active and seek approval from others.  Losing the phone/distractions, plugging in some ear buds and watching film on college prospects is how I've found best to get past the attacks for me and most my friends know if I don't answer, I'll hit them up when I feel like it.

6 hours ago, samsel23 said:

I'm not sure any panic attack can boil down to one specific reason.  For me personally, it's kind of ive always had social anxiety.. it used to be masked by being active in sports(starting pg, starting QB and S, and starting SS in baseball), so I was always the voice when participating in sports.  Appearing Extroverted in sports, when in reality I'm extremely introverted.

Once sports were gone I lost my way to let my voice be heard and that's when I started noticing who I was...  I appear extroverted to most so most of my friends are constantly active and hitting me up.. it's a sensory overload and that's when I feel the panic set in.  That's why I said getting rid of social media really helps me personally.. social media is really just a way for people to show active and seek approval from others.  Losing the phone/distractions, plugging in some ear buds and watching film on college prospects is how I've found best to get past the attacks for me and most my friends know if I don't answer, I'll hit them up when I feel like it.

That's really interesting.  Are you able to sign up at a gym to play sports or maybe join a intramural league of some sort?  It's great that you have a method to help get past your attacks.  Wishing you the best.

Archived