Lions will go after Byron Jones

BZski

5 minutes ago, HashtagFTW said:

I think keeping Slay and signing Jones is a better decision. 

Eh. On paper, and for one year, perhaps. In that scenario, we either 1) signed Slay to a similar market-setting deal as Jones, or 2) have Slay playing on the last year of his contract, which means we'd undoubtedly lose him after the year. Option 1 has us investing a ton in the CB position, and option 2 leaves us without the potential late 1st/early 2nd round pick that we could probably net for Slay right now.

In a draft this deep, if we could sign Jones, I'd much rather take a late 1st/early 2nd for Slay and move away from that situation.

Edited by TL-TwoWinsAway
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Eh. On paper, and for one year, perhaps. In that scenario, we either 1) signed Slay to a similar market-setting deal as Jones, or 2) have Slay playing on the last year of his contract, which means we'd undoubtedly lose him after the year. Option 1 has us investing a ton in the CB position, and option 2 leaves us without the potential late 1st/early 2nd round pick that we could probably net for Slay right now.

In a draft this deep, if we could sign Jones, I'd much rather take a late 1st/early 2nd for Slay and move away from that situation.

I don’t think it would take a market setting deal to keep Slay. Top tier money, probably. But he’s a top tier player and homegrown. Is he unhappy and want out right now? Hell yeah. Losing does that to you but go all out this offseason and win games next year and he’ll be happy all over again. 

Also, what kind of message does it send that we’ll spend big money on FAs but won’t to resign our own? Pay all the money to get players to leave their teams and come to Detroit but expect the ones that have been here that are equally as good, if not better, to play at a discount?

Edited by HashtagFTW

2 minutes ago, HashtagFTW said:

I don’t think it would take a market setting deal to keep Slay. Top tier money, probably. But he’s a top tier player and homegrown. Is he unhappy and want out right now? Hell yeah. Losing does that to you but go all out this offseason and win games next year and he’ll be happy all over again. 

I think his disdain for the team runs deeper. It's my impression that he was in the "anti-Patricia" group, and that the Diggs trade took a greater toll on him.

Either way, paying Jones the inevitable $16.5M, Slay the $14 or $15 and Coleman his $9M (which moves to $11 after this year) is a ton to spend on one position.

7 minutes ago, HashtagFTW said:

Also, what kind of message does it send that we’ll spend big money on FAs but won’t to resign our own? Pay all the money to get players to leave their teams and come to Detroit but expect the ones that have been here that are equally as good, if not better, to play at a discount?

I'm not concerned. I prefer to make the right decision for this team to be as successful as possible. If that means trading Slay, who is disgruntled, for a late 1st/early 2nd and signing Jones, so be it.

37 minutes ago, HashtagFTW said:

I dont think that's a real factor. Players understand it comes down to business. 

I always get nervous about CBs in free agency.  They are such a product of their system and often struggle when they get to somewhere new unless its an extremely similar system.  I know the greats can transition pretty well but I dont think Jones is a great.  He is a very good CB that I am not sold on.  I'd rather keep Slay or sign a lesser CB and spend more on the D line/LB. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I always get nervous about CBs in free agency.  They are such a product of their system and often struggle when they get to somewhere new unless its an extremely similar system.  I know the greats can transition pretty well but I dont think Jones is a great.  He is a very good CB that I am not sold on.  I'd rather keep Slay or sign a lesser CB and spend more on the D line/LB. 

Just to clarify: would you rather have Slay at $16M for 5 years or Jones at $16M for 5 years and an additional late 1st round pick?

48 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Just to clarify: would you rather have Slay at $16M for 5 years or Jones at $16M for 5 years and an additional late 1st round pick?

I know this was directed at Sllim, but this isn't the easiest of questions.  On paper, of course I'd rather have Jones and a 1st.  But I agree with Sllim as sometimes a db is much better in his system that he excelled in than a new system with a new cast.  So for me a question like this comes down to, what would I rather have, an aging vet who has proved it in our system, or two younger unknowns in my particular system.  It's really a tough call.  Personally, since we are speculating, I'd rather have Slay and Okudah for the next 5 years rather than Jones, Okudah and a first.  But that comes down to a lot of unknown factors. I'll take a known commodity 9 times out of 10.

Edited by LionArkie

11 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

I know this was directed at Sllim, but this isn't the easiest of questions.  On paper, of course I'd rather have Jones and a 1st.  But I agree with Sllim as sometimes a db is much better in his system that he excelled in than a new system with a new cast.  So for me a question like this comes down to, what would I rather have, an aging vet who has proved it in our system, or two younger unknowns in my particular system.  It's really a tough call.  Personally, since we are speculating, I'd rather have Slay and Okudah for the next 5 years rather than Young, Okudah and a first.  But that comes down to a lot of unknown factors. I'll take a known commodity 9 times out of 10.

You mean Jones?

Just now, LionArkie said:

Yes.  Sorry, I'll fix it.  I have Young on the brain.

I mean.. I'll take Young, Okudah + 1st over Slay and Okudah all day, every day.

What I would really prefer to see is Jones, Slay and Okudah for 2020. Slay is still under contract.