Lions will go after Byron Jones

BZski

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

It's not just PFF. That's our defensive scheme's philosophy, based on the win percentage. It's obviously not black and white, there is nuance to all of it. Despite how things fared last year, we could survive an injury to a key player on our defensive line (assuming that our FA's are replaced with guys of equal skill) as opposed to losing guys in the secondary. 

This suggests that this defense shouldn't have an identity. Most teams pick a philosophy, add players to build around that philosophy and then fill in the holes in the other spots that are of less importance. No one is suggesting that they aren't going to add players on the defensive line in the draft and/or free agency. 

If they add guys like DJ Reader, Byron Jones, Jeff Okudah, a couple DL and Malik Harrison, it should be a far improved defense. 

Did pff say we were weaker upfront, or on the back end?

6 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I'd rather have Slay at 15 for 3 years than Jones at 17 for 5 years and a 1st.

I think Slay could demand more. That being said, I don't think the gap between Slay and Jones is all that big, Slay dislikes Patricia and he's two years older. Give me Jones and that 1st.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, detroitroar said:

I'm starting to think this more and more

I would agree. The moment BQ came out at the combine and announced we are in talks with teams for a Slay trade, that sealed it for me. I think what the Lions are trying to do is get a deal obviously for max return, but also one which allows Slay to sign a new deal with that team. Kind of a, do right by him and the team.

I have seen some people mention getting a first-round pick for Slay.  If we get a first round pick, it will be a late first-round pick from a team that is trying to put itself over the top.  Baltimore might be interested given their situation with Jimmy Smith.  Tennessee might consider a deal with Logan Ryan being a free agent.  Otherwise, Slay would probably get us a second round pick.  Here is how I see this playing out in a best-case scenario:

1. We trade Darius Slay for a late first or mid-second round pick (Frank Clark was traded for a second-round).

2.  We sign DE Emmanuel Ogbah.  He was under-rated in Cleveland and was playing well for the Chiefs when he tor his pectoral muscle (5.5 sacks in 10 games) to help take pressure off of our DBs.  Assuming he is healthy, he should give us 7-9 sacks and not break the bank.  

3.  We sign LB Cory Littleton because our LBs can't cover TEs and RBs.  That should help CB Justin Coleman perform better.  He won't be too expensive.

4.  We sign NT Javon Hargrave.  He is somewhat under-rated and should flourish next to Trey Flowers.  

5.  We sign Joe Thuney to lock down our LG position.  Joe Dahl was our starting LG.  Enough said.

6. We draft Darius Slay's replacement; CB Jeff Okudah or CB CJ Henderson in the first round.

I am predicting a couple of things with players on our roster:

1.  Tyrell Crosby steps in a starting role--He played pretty well when given the chance and was better than Rick Wagner.

2.  Amani Oruwariye steps in to a starting role--He played well down the stretch and has the tools to be a solid #2CB

That is about as well as I could hope things go for the Lions.  Thoughts?

54 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

I have seen some people mention getting a first-round pick for Slay.  If we get a first round pick, it will be a late first-round pick from a team that is trying to put itself over the top.  Baltimore might be interested given their situation with Jimmy Smith.  Tennessee might consider a deal with Logan Ryan being a free agent.  Otherwise, Slay would probably get us a second round pick.  Here is how I see this playing out in a best-case scenario:

1. We trade Darius Slay for a late first or mid-second round pick (Frank Clark was traded for a second-round).

2.  We sign DE Emmanuel Ogbah.  He was under-rated in Cleveland and was playing well for the Chiefs when he tor his pectoral muscle (5.5 sacks in 10 games) to help take pressure off of our DBs.  Assuming he is healthy, he should give us 7-9 sacks and not break the bank.  

3.  We sign LB Cory Littleton because our LBs can't cover TEs and RBs.  That should help CB Justin Coleman perform better.  He won't be too expensive.

4.  We sign NT Javon Hargrave.  He is somewhat under-rated and should flourish next to Trey Flowers.  

5.  We sign Joe Thuney to lock down our LG position.  Joe Dahl was our starting LG.  Enough said.

6. We draft Darius Slay's replacement; CB Jeff Okudah or CB CJ Henderson in the first round.

I am predicting a couple of things with players on our roster:

1.  Tyrell Crosby steps in a starting role--He played pretty well when given the chance and was better than Rick Wagner.

2.  Amani Oruwariye steps in to a starting role--He played well down the stretch and has the tools to be a solid #2CB

That is about as well as I could hope things go for the Lions.  Thoughts?

Does Thuney step os as LG or RG.. To my knowledge, Dahl played fairly well and we are likely losing Glasgow.Glasgow.

We can go after Jones, that doesn't mean well get him. i think the eagles/raiders will sign him. if that happens & BQ is hellbent on trading Slay id do it for a late 1 or 2nd. id rather us just pay Slay and keep him here but get why a divorce maybe best for both parties.