Sliding Tile Game...where's the blank space going to be?

Do you remember the sliding tile game?  It was popular travel game for kids in the backseat of cars long before video game devices were even dreamed of.  The idea is to arrange the small interlocking tiles in this plastic frame to form a pattern or picture.  In order to move the tiles, there had to be an open slot...or as I called it "the hole."  It seems to me that being a modern GM in the NFL is a lot like playing the sliding tile game.  You shuffle resources to improve one facet of the team, only to open a hole in another. 

If the Vikings are to improve the offensive line, for example, would that damage the ability to resign Harris, Waynes or Rhodes in the defensive backfield?  Would drafting a DT hurt the chances of picking up a legit 3rd WR?

All of us have moves we'd like Spielman to make.  Given the seriousness of the CAP situation, what would the consequences of Spielman taking on your favorite idea?  Where would the hole open up on the team if your ideas were enacted?  I will start...I have been beating the drum for better players on the offensive line for a long time.  I would especially like to see an upgrade of a left tackle and left guard.  However, that might mean limiting choices for the defensive backfield.

I am with you. The offensive line would be my second priority. Without doubt any cap space devoted to solving that would mean losing something else as the Vikings are up against it. It would be tough but I would take the blank space on the defensive side. That is where coach Zimmer focuses; he is going to have to show he can lead a defense that isn't outfitted with proven players at all positions.  The offense has been going without proven players at key positions for too long. Worse, some years they are going with offensive players that have already proven to have been inadequate.

Fwiw, my number one priority is always the QB. If the team has a conviction that a guy is a long term answer and they are in a position to get that guy they absolutely need to pull the trigger. And yes, that will hurt the team's ability to fill other needs this year. If they are right they will be in great position going forward though.

Edited by Cearbhall
  • Like 1

I don’t think this team can afford to sacrifice the defense. If the defense can’t peform at a top 5 level, we’re toast. Cousins isn’t carrying this team to a title. This team is built to win by playing exceptional defense. Pass rushers and CBs are my biggest concern, and I’d target those spots over putting a bunch of resources into the OL. Hopefully one decent OL can be added fairly early in the draft, but I’d hope to lean on young players like Bradbury, Samia and maybe even Udoh.

So I’m cutting a Riley Reiff to make some room to bring back Griffen or to not have one of the worst Cb groups. 

Edited by vikingsrule

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

I don’t think this team can afford to sacrifice the defense. If the defense can’t peform at a top 5 level, we’re toast. Cousins isn’t carrying this team to a title. This team is built to win by playing exceptional defense. Pass rushers and CBs are my biggest concern, and I’d target those spots over putting a bunch of resources into the OL. Hopefully one decent OL can be added fairly early in the draft, but I’d hope to lean on young players like Bradbury, Samia and maybe even Udoh.

So I’m cutting a Riley Reiff to make some room to bring back Griffen or to not have one of the worst Cb groups. 

I don't think they'll necessarily sacrifice the defense...even if they have to rely on Hughes, Hill and Boyd, as long as they get a better pass rush from the defense than they have.  Based on the performances last year, with some expected significant improvement from Boyd, I think it'd be almost a wash from Rhodes and Waynes.  Therefore, I'm almost willing to take a step back from the defensive backfield (outside of getting a cheap veteran to fill the other safety spot) to strengthen the defensive line.  As far as the offensive line, while it's important to strengthen it, rather than the at the expense of the defensive backfield, similarly I'm willing to weaken the the "outside" of the offense...i.e. the wide receiver position.

16 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I don't think they'll necessarily sacrifice the defense...even if they have to rely on Hughes, Hill and Boyd, as long as they get a better pass rush from the defense than they have.  Based on the performances last year, with some expected significant improvement from Boyd, I think it'd be almost a wash from Rhodes and Waynes.  Therefore, I'm almost willing to take a step back from the defensive backfield (outside of getting a cheap veteran to fill the other safety spot) to strengthen the defensive line.  As far as the offensive line, while it's important to strengthen it, rather than the at the expense of the defensive backfield, similarly I'm willing to weaken the the "outside" of the offense...i.e. the wide receiver position.

I think we need to do better than Rhodes and Waynes at the CB spots. Having a major liability on one side hurt the defense. If Zimmer can get reliable boundary CBs, the defense is so much better and diverse. The pass rush getting better isn’t a given, especially if they choose to keep a mediocre player like Reiff over and above average one like Griffen.

The offensive line has to be better. It can't regress. If it does, this team has no shot, regardless of how good the defense is. The only way we can get more out of Cousins is to give him more time and a stellar run game. A good pass rush can mask bad DB play too, so my blank space is at CB. We have enough young talent to hopefully cobble together something passable, and Zimmer is supposed to be a DB guru. He needs to show that he can do it without first round talent. I'd say adios to Rhodes for sure.

• Like 1

Hard to speculate before the players are released but let's assume the ones we think need to go actually do:  Rhodes and Joseph would save a little more than $18.5 million.  What can we get for that?  

Where do we have guys that could step up and replace expensive starters?  I think Odenigbo and Weatherly (who we'd have to resign) are capable of manning the DE spot opposite Hunter so Griffin can go.  I think I would try to trade Barr for draft picks or player(s) and let Eric Wilson handle that position.  At DT we've got Stephen, Watts, Jaleel Johnson and Jalyn Holmes.  Stephen is not much, the other guys might be able to handle it but it doesn't look exciting.  I don't really know what the DT position has to offer in free agency.  This needs to be addressed in the draft clearly. 

The defensive backfield is where it gets ugly.  Assuming Kearse leaves (which seems inevitable) and that Rhodes is cut (which better be inevitable) and that Waynes, Alexander and Harris walk because Spielman feels they aren't worth the investment, who is there to step into their spots?  Hughes and a scary injury, Kris Boyd, Holton Hill, Nate Meadors at CB and honestly I don't know at safety (Sendejo still?).  That's pretty risky.  One or two of our FAs have to be resigned.  Maybe Zimmer's comments about safety not being that important were smoke but if not, we've got to do something to replace a guy who was at the top of his position the last couple of seasons.  Not going to be easy.  Alexander might be a good guy to hold on to considering he knows the defense.  But we have to get active in FA to bolster the CBs.  Darqueze Dennard from Cincy might be a good target.

The weakness on offense is obviously the line.  I think FA signing(s) and high draft picks are going to have to be thrown at the Oline to fix it and keep the offense chugging.  

I just wish something would happen already!  I'm ready for some signings, the draft, trades, anything at this point.

On 3/3/2020 at 9:35 PM, Hyperborean said:

I just wish something would happen already!  I'm ready for some signings, the draft, trades, anything at this point.

I was also expecting more internal moves to be made by this time. They removed the "tampering" window didn't they? Or will we still see deals announced next weekend (3/13 - 3/15)?

22 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

I was also expecting more internal moves to be made by this time. They removed the "tampering" window didn't they? Or will we still see deals announced next weekend (3/13 - 3/15)?

Hard to do anything when you’re broke. Unless the Vikes make some big cuts to vets, soon, they are probably sitting free agency out.

27 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Hard to do anything when you’re broke. Unless the Vikes make some big cuts to vets, soon, they are probably sitting free agency out.

That's why I said "internal moves". If the expectation is to keep Rhodes and Joseph on their current contracts then I would agree. We've been talking for months how obvious of a cut Rhodes has been, I wonder why it hasn't happened yet. 

3 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

That's why I said "internal moves". If the expectation is to keep Rhodes and Joseph on their current contracts then I would agree. We've been talking for months how obvious of a cut Rhodes has been, I wonder why it hasn't happened yet. 

Maybe they don’t view Rhodes as an issue. He still played a lot down the stretch. Further, perhaps they expect to lose Waynes and would rather stick with Rhodes than go with a rookie or similarly priced vet. Like I’ve said, I’d be shocked if they make some of these cuts based on how Spielman operates, but there a number of cuts  that ought to happen. I suspect they are operating under a win now mindset and won’t look to drastically turn over the roster. 

Edited by vikingsrule

6 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Maybe they don’t view Rhodes as an issue. He still played a lot down the stretch. Further, perhaps they expect to lose Waynes and would rather stick with Rhodes than go with a rookie or similarly priced vet. Like I’ve said, I’d be shocked if they make some of these cuts based on how Spielman operates, but there a number of cuts  that ought to happen. I suspect they are operating under a win now mindset and won’t look to drastically turn over the roster. 

Anything is possible. If that's the case Zimmer better have found the Fountain of Youth for Rhodes.

I think Spiels probably waited for the combine to see some of the agents in person to talk about certain things and now that it's over, they're working their plan...and possibly things will be in motion here soon.  I imagine everything will start with Kirk though first. 

There's really no sense in cutting any players yet at this point because they don't have to.  Even if they make the cuts we expect, they aren't going to be in on the top free agents, so there's no real rush to the process.  As happened in the past, I imagine that the legal tampering period is where a lot of deals will get done (which might happen with Griffen again).

Their free agency plan is likely centered around value.  They probably won't get in at all until maybe the 3rd wave of free agency, if even then.  

Edited by swede700

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

I think Spiels probably waited for the combine to see some of the agents in person to talk about certain things and now that it's over, they're working their plan...and possibly things will be in motion here soon.  I imagine everything will start with Kirk though first. 

There's really no sense in cutting any players yet at this point because they don't have to.  Even if they make the cuts we expect, they aren't going to be in on the top free agents, so there's no real rush to the process.  As happened in the past, I imagine that the legal tampering period is where a lot of deals will get done (which might happen with Griffen again).

Their free agency plan is likely centered around value.  They probably won't get in at all until maybe the 3rd wave of free agency, if even then.  

I agree that they wanted the combine to work itself out. I was under the impression that if they cut/restructured Rhodes and Linval they might've had enough money to keep one of Harris, Mac, or Waynes should they choose. Looks like all 3 will be gone, we could be looking at some nice comp picks (two 3rds and a 4th?) in 2021. Perhaps Spielman is playing chess and we're playing checkers.