Why haven't more coaches tried to mimic Belichick's coaching philosophy?

Bolts223

For example everyone copied the west coast offense from Walsh.

It's really hard to even put into words how good of a football coach Bill Belichick is. I don't really think you can make a case for someone like Vince Lombardi anymore as the GOAT coach, Belichick is just so clearly heads and shoulders than any head coach at the NFL level. 

Anyways, it seems like there is really no coach like him either. The premise of Belichick's coaching philosophy is to make some use out of every single roster spot. Every person on that roster has an attribute that can contribute to a very specific situation that may come up in a certain situation. (IE Do your job) It's part of how well he coaches situational football. Yet, you don't see very many coaches with this type of philosophy, it hasn't really revolutionized NFL coaching like the west coast offense has.

I guess my question is, why is this? Shouldn't other coaches be trying to emulate what Belichick and the Patriots have done, being that they have been the golden standard in the NFL for 16 years now?

I think there's a lot of reasons. One that immediately jumps out to me is that I don't think a lot of organizations  have the patience for it. That second round pick on Kony Ealy they just completely wasted. That's something not everyone is going to get away with. We've seen guys like Josh McDaniels and Chip Kelly come in, chase off some star players in favor of their type of guy. As soon as they hiccup they get ran out of town. Which brings me to another big reason. Most coaches just aren't good enough to pull it off.

Another thing. Most coaches are obsessed with their schemes. The Patriots to me barely ever look the same as the previous year. One year they are just completely conventional. Then they get Moss and it's bombs away. Get rid of Moss and start throwing bubble screens all day. Draft Gronk and Hernandez and have an offense where outside WRs are completely irrelevant. Get Blount and go ground and pound. Get 20 more runningbacks and have a new offense every week. 

Because Bill Belichick's coaching philosophy is "be smarter than everyone else".  There can be only one smartest coach in the NFL.

He also got really lucky he found a GOAT QB.  And fortunately, he was smart enough to surround him with the talent necessary to create a dynasty.

12 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

I think there's a lot of reasons. One that immediately jumps out to me is that I don't think a lot of organizations  have the patience for it. That second round pick on Kony Ealy they just completely wasted. That's something not everyone is going to get away with. We've seen guys like Josh McDaniels and Chip Kelly come in, chase off some star players in favor of their type of guy. As soon as they hiccup they get ran out of town. Which brings me to another big reason. Most coaches just aren't good enough to pull it off.

Another thing. Most coaches are obsessed with their schemes. The Patriots to me barely ever look the same as the previous year. One year they are just completely conventional. Then they get Moss and it's bombs away. Get rid of Moss and start throwing bubble screens all day. Draft Gronk and Hernandez and have an offense where outside WRs are completely irrelevant. Get Blount and go ground and pound. Get 20 more runningbacks and have a new offense every week. 

I do like their ever changing offensive strategies.  I think it boils back down to Belichick playing to his team's strengths instead of forcing his team into situations they don't fit.

7 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

I do like their ever changing offensive strategies.  I think it boils back down to Belichick playing to his team's strengths instead of forcing his team into situations they don't fit.

Yep. And defense too. Last year I think they rushed 3 more than any team I'd ever seen. I thought they would go nowhere doing this. Like 15 ppg allowed and another ring

Because its not about how he coaches in game.  Its about the organization and culture and those are not quick things to fix or build up. 

He's surrounded himself with so many talented people and created a culture where the only acceptable approach is to work harder and be smarter than every other team in the league.  No matter how talented you are, if you don't buy in 110%, you're gone on the spot.  

You also have to understand that everyone who gets to the point of being an NFL head coach has got to have a pretty massive ego.  Its one thing to try to emulate an offensive scheme, its another thing to try to reinvent yourself completely.  Bill has a very unique skill set and personality that allows him to be extremely effective.  He's a football genius, but a lot of it also probably comes down to his Navy background and the amount of time he's spent around the game.

Also, fwiw, there is one guy who has some of the same personality traits, who worked under Belichick, and has cultivated the same culture around his program and he happens to be the second most successful coach in American sports.

7 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Also, fwiw, there is one guy who has some of the same personality traits, who worked under Belichick, and has cultivated the same culture around his program and he happens to be the second most successful coach in American sports.

Mike Krzyzewski worked under Belichick?

55 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

For example everyone copied the west coast offense from Walsh.

It's really hard to even put into words how good of a football coach Bill Belichick is. I don't really think you can make a case for someone like Vince Lombardi anymore as the GOAT coach, Belichick is just so clearly heads and shoulders than any head coach at the NFL level. 

Anyways, it seems like there is really no coach like him either. The premise of Belichick's coaching philosophy is to make some use out of every single roster spot. Every person on that roster has an attribute that can contribute to a very specific situation that may come up in a certain situation. (IE Do your job) It's part of how well he coaches situational football. Yet, you don't see very many coaches with this type of philosophy, it hasn't really revolutionized NFL coaching like the west coast offense has.

I guess my question is, why is this? Shouldn't other coaches be trying to emulate what Belichick and the Patriots have done, being that they have been the golden standard in the NFL for 16 years now?

You can bet money on the fact that likely 90% of teams have tried to copy every facet of BB's system, after all, he practically, along with Pittsburgh, was responsible for creating the 3-4 defense very successfully for many years, till teams caught up with the idea and used that system themselves. Do you really think most successful organizations don't follow the idea that every roster spot has a purpose, what the other teams do not have is Tom Brady, IMO, the greatest QB who ever played the game and I have been following pro football since I was a young kid back in the 50's and have seen every QB from that time on, who has played the game.

BB is unique in many ways, he gave up the 3-4 defense when he felt it was no longer giving him a huge edge, he has the ability to spot talent for the draft and where most HC's would only draft for need, he is willing to draft the best possible rated player. He obviously studies every facet of the game and takes advantage of any loopholes he can find to give his team a better chance at winning. most HC's simply cannot be bothered to study such issues, although I'm sure quite a few do.

He is also a genius at designing defenses or offenses for any single game and is willing to use whatever edge he can find. All the great HC's in pro football, were inventors of the game, the way it is played today. Don Shula =Zone defense, Bill Walsh = WCO, Al Davis = Bump and run defense and I could go on and on, that's what made them stand out from the crowd and BB is definitely in their league.

Because the things that separate Belichick from everyone else has nothing to do with schemes or an overaching offensive/defensive philosophy. His flexibility is unrivaled. He doesn't stick to things that aren't working because he decided to stick with him. The majority of the coaches in the league have been coaching as just their way or the highway their entire life. We have to wait 20 years for a completely new generation of coaches before we will see more people like Belichick.

Setting aside the stuff that Belichick does better than anyone else, which others have touched on, there are a lot of things that have to fall into place for a coach in order to be as successful as Belichick. First thing you need is to basically get carte blanche to build the organization from the ground up, bring in the people you want and I don't think many coaches have been given that kind of autonomy. Second thing you need is a degree of buy-in from your assistants and players that you can really only get through years of sustained success. There are a lot of big egos in the NFL and a lot of the time someone will jump onto a staff or get signed or drafted who thinks he knows better than the guy in charge - and a lot of times they're right -  but there's rarely any kind of organizational friction under Belichick anymore because he's shown for a long time how effective his methods are. Then there's the fact that Belichick has a trusted confidant in Ernie Adams who's been with him since they were both kids, sees  the game from a unique perspective and picks up on details that few people do... and will only work under Belichick. Oh, and having a QB like Tom Brady, who provides the team with such stability and high-level play at the most important position, is a luxury only a couple of other coaches in the league have.

Belichick's coaching style is cryptic for other coaches to build around, and he changes schemes based on the roster he has with the right coordinators. Bill Walsh's coaching is more transparent and the offense was built around the WCO for years, which is why he has an impressive coaching tree. Picking an apple from the Belichick coaching tree is asking to poison your team. 

Archived