Broncos acquire AJ Bouye

beardown3231

4 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Yep Harris is gone and I still wouldn’t surprised if the go for Slay or Jones.  Reportedly Denver is going to hit CB hard.

I think they're more likely to make a run at Prince and other second tier guys, but yeah I don't think they're done.

This is Vic's guy. Bouye said he turned down a bigger offer from the Bears in 2017. 

9 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I think they're more likely to make a run at Prince and other second tier guys, but yeah I don't think they're done.

This is Vic's guy. Bouye said he turned down a bigger offer from the Bears in 2017. 

Could be, it may depend if they get Bouye to restructure. 

I figured they would trade for either him or Slay (I thought that the Lions wanted more for him, but people on my mock draft corrected me when I projected that the Fins would trade a first-rounder for him). Bouye is younger than Harris (even though I would like to have Chris back).

Bouye to DEN for the 4th makes sense for 4 reasons albeit at some risk: 

1.   He’s a boundary CB that thrived in the zone scheme.  Can match up man on man but makes sense to get a boundary guy.   He hasn’t matched his stellar 2017 levels of play but the ceiling is there. 

2.   Younger than Harris as stated above.   He’s also a ball hawk zone CB that Fangio values.   

3.  By acquiring him via trade if they don’t get a top FA then they likely get a decent comp pick if Harris walks.    And with so many 3rd/4th picks it makes a lot of sense to leverage it.  

4.  The guys we have and the young CB left in FA besides Byron Jones (or Slay in trade) are slot guys.  Prince Amukumura could be a 2nd Outside CB who wouldn’t be as expensive.  Retaining Harris or going after a  Kendall Fuller really adds more slot guys when we already have guys who profile more as slot guys. 

If they let Shelby Harris, CHJ & Wolfe walk and replace with a younger and cheaper guy at DL (not Reader obv) then DEN stands to gain comp picks in 2022.   That really makes the 4th even more palatable.   I do think we could see a more mid level CB added like Amukumura or Fuller now.  

Realistically our window to sustained contention is 2021+.  With the franchise tag we have control of Bouye for 2021-22. I can get behind this move.  The only real Q is if Bouye can be the top cover guy like Harris was - but the 2H did show signs of decline with Harris as a boundary guy.   But I get the reasoning here completely.   

There’s risk he can’t be the top guy when he’s getting top guy $.  But I get why Elway did it - SF’s 4th is a risk he’s willing to take esp given the comp pick implications.   The cost beyond the salary is minimal for the reward.   

Edited by Broncofan

12 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Late 3 + AJ Bouye for Emmanuel Sanders and the team improved without his presence.

Some of this FO’s finest work. 

Even if Bouye fails it’s hard to see the above as anything but an automatic W given the rebuild move Elway had to make.  Could be a massive W If Bouye is a 3-year starter who’s “only” a top 15-20 boundary CB.  

Edited by Broncofan

Not a fan of zone coverage. As one who played CB in high school I hated zone, fortunately I often mirrored the opposing X and played man 90%, but I still hated when we played zone. Zone requires everything working together seamlessly and there can’t be a weak link. Conversely, the primary man coverage the Broncos ran in the SB years requires elite outside talent, which we had at the time, but is HARD to come by.

That being said, since Vic wants to run zone this move makes sense, especially considering the price. Hopefully Callahan will be healthy next year and we can add another CB in the draft. A very late 4th for an experienced starter who is still in his prime is a good move and likely Bouye will be better than whomever we would have drafted with that pick. 

My reporter friend said if he was a betting man, he’d wager that Wolfe comes back (but that it’s far from guaranteed) but that both Harrises are likely gone, and each should net a 3rd or 4th round compensatory pick for 2021. 

• Like 1

Great trade, especially given the scheme. Elway knows the window is nearing. Lock on rookie deal means they can afford to buy a defense where needed. 

In addition, Bouye at 13.5MM per year is stellar when you consider what some of the FAs will likely fetch.

• Like 1

Going to be fun!  
people saying this means no CHJ return.  That’s likely.  But remember, CHJ was mad that he had to plat outside so much.  Wants to play more slot.  This allows the a Broncos, IF they are trying to retain CHJ, to say “we got our outside guy - you can feel good about staying now as you’ll be the slot guy”.  That would have been much harder to do if the had waited for FA, with no guarantee of success.  Just sayin’

8 hours ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

Going to be fun!  
people saying this means no CHJ return.  That’s likely.  But remember, CHJ was mad that he had to plat outside so much.  Wants to play more slot.  This allows the a Broncos, IF they are trying to retain CHJ, to say “we got our outside guy - you can feel good about staying now as you’ll be the slot guy”.  That would have been much harder to do if the had waited for FA, with no guarantee of success.  Just sayin’

That Nicki article where Chris was complaining about his role as the #1 corner was extremely odd to me. Lacked some accountability and that was disappointing. I suppose when you’re mad at what the organization has done around you for 4 years that can happen.