Broncos acquire AJ Bouye

beardown3231

Re: CHJ, keep in mind with Simmons likely getting a tag or long-term deal, we'll have 50M tied up in 4 DB's - Jackson, Bouye, Simmons & Callahan.   There's pretty much no scenario where spending top dollar for another CB makes sense, given the holes we are looking to address elsewhere at ILB and on DL, and no early impact guys likely available when we draft that make sense (a big no on reaching for need with guys Rd1 when they're not close to overall BPA).

Add in that CHJ is not going to give a hometown discount (and frankly, anyone who says they'd do it in his shoes is delusional, given this is his last locked-in payday he can bank on), and we can wish CHJ well.   He's going to be sought after, and he'll be wearing another jersey in 2020.   Wish him well.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Re: CHJ, keep in mind with Simmons likely getting a tag or long-term deal, we'll have 50M tied up in 4 DB's - Jackson, Bouye, Simmons & Callahan.   There's pretty much no scenario where spending top dollar for another CB makes sense, given the holes we are looking to address elsewhere at ILB and on DL, and no early impact guys likely available when we draft that make sense (a big no on reaching for need with guys Rd1 when they're not close to overall BPA).

Add in that CHJ is not going to give a hometown discount (and frankly, anyone who says they'd do it in his shoes is delusional, given this is his last locked-in payday he can bank on), and we can wish CHJ well.   He's going to be sought after, and he'll be wearing another jersey in 2020.   Wish him well.

Well, we still need another corner opposite Bouye because Callahan is mostly a slot corner. Amukamara would be a decent signing for that position.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

Well, we still need another corner opposite Bouye because Callahan is mostly a slot corner. Amukamara would be a decent signing for that position.

I think it's far more likely we go in that level of commitment, given the finances.   Our cap situation is finally healthy, but if we want to go after a cover ILB and an impact DL, along with IOL and a 2nd WR, well, you can't go top of the market each time.   I mean, part of why Elway went with Bouye likely was related his well-known aversion to setting the market by going after top-tier FA's.   

Amukumura's level of interest from other teams will be interesting, because at age 30, and guys like CHJ, Byron Jones, James Bradberry, Logan Ryan and younger guys like Eli Apple, Roby (no chance he comes back here lol), Kendall Fuller & Brian Poole (the last 2 pretty much slot-only guys), Amukumara probably won't be that expensive, and likely only 1 year of fully guaranteed $ (which at age 30 is a good idea).  We'll see I guess....

Edited by Broncofan

Bouye was a favorite of mine. Last couple years haven't been great, but 2017 he was truly elite. Imo, he didn't get the credit he deserved. I believe he was better than Jalen.

Hope he has those moments/gets back to that form for you guys.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

I think it's far more likely we go in that level of commitment, given the finances.   Our cap situation is finally healthy, but if we want to go after a cover ILB and an impact DL, along with IOL and a 2nd WR, well, you can't go top of the market each time.   I mean, part of why Elway went with Bouye likely was related his well-known aversion to setting the market by going after top-tier FA's.   

Amukumura's level of interest from other teams will be interesting, because at age 30, and guys like CHJ, Byron Jones, James Bradberry, Logan Ryan and younger guys like Eli Apple, Roby (no chance he comes back here lol), Kendall Fuller & Brian Poole (the last 2 pretty much slot-only guys), Amukumara probably won't be that expensive, and likely only 1 year of fully guaranteed $ (which at age 30 is a good idea).  We'll see I guess....

And, I'm guessing the Broncos draft a CB.

49 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

And, I'm guessing the Broncos draft a CB.

More likely though it's a Rd 3-4 guy, a developmental type.   As we've seen with pretty much every one of our rookie CB's, they need a year before being impact guys. 

But yes, the CB class, while lacking early impact guys worthy of an early pick, there's actually has a lot of project/development types that are intriguing.  And the focus on T/RB/WR likely puts CB in our general BPA/need range in Rds 3-4, where we still have 4 more picks, pretty nicely.

4 hours ago, champ11 said:

That Nicki article where Chris was complaining about his role as the #1 corner was extremely odd to me. Lacked some accountability and that was disappointing. I suppose when you’re mad at what the organization has done around you for 4 years that can happen. 

Chris complained about playing nickel for years, gets exposed a bit shadowing #1s and now acts like it was crazy that they ever moved him from nickel. But I think he was always going to find a reason to be upset because he doesn't want to be in Denver anymore. It's time for both sides to move on. 

11 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

More likely though it's a Rd 3-4 guy, a developmental type.   As we've seen with pretty much every one of our rookie CB's, they need a year before being impact guys. 

But yes, the CB class, while lacking early impact guys worthy of an early pick, there's actually has a lot of project/development types that are intriguing.  And the focus on T/RB/WR likely puts CB in our general BPA/need range in Rds 3-4, where we still have 4 more picks, pretty nicely.

CHJ and Bouye were development guys.  And it seemed like there were a few on the Broncos' last year who stepped up.  

2 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Chris complained about playing nickel for years, gets exposed a bit shadowing #1s and now acts like it was crazy that they ever moved him from nickel. But I think he was always going to find a reason to be upset because he doesn't want to be in Denver anymore. It's time for both sides to move on. 

He’s been wanting that praise as a top guy (deservedly so) and then was complaining when he was asked to shadow the top WR? Very confusing look. His play slipped and I guess he needed somewhere to place the blame. 

4 minutes ago, champ11 said:

He’s been wanting that praise as a top guy (deservedly so) and then was complaining when he was asked to shadow the top WR? Very confusing look. His play slipped and I guess he needed somewhere to place the blame. 

To be fair, he's also thrived in a slot role, but also in a scheme that's more man-based (Wade's scheme struggled when it was in off-coverage mode).   So it was just a bad fit all around.   

CHJ could return back to elite form being slot only, or just being back into a more man-based scheme - it might not have been age-related decline, esp. since it was only in the 2H where we saw it (but it's correct to worry we're seeing the beginning of the decline phase before extending him).  But it was never going to work out at that market price to keep CHJ with Fangio's scheme.  It doesn't emphasize or require the same blanket man responsibilities CHJ thrived in with Wade's scheme.   I know it's tough, but in a Fangio scheme, CHJ just wasn't worth retaining at 14-15M.   He may or may not be in any scheme regardless if his decline in 2H was age-related, but even if it's just a worse fit scheme-wise, we're not changing the scheme.

It's always easier to look for a reason to blame that's fixable.  But if he blames the scheme, then zone-heavy teams won't court him.   Part of it too is human nature - great players never see the decline phase coming.  It's part of what makes them great.   But it's also what makes it hard when it's time to part ways, too.

Edited by Broncofan

5 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Can't say we have had a lot of luck with 3rd round CB's plus we already have 3-4 developmental CB's already in Yiadom, Harris, Dawson and Taylor. Can easily see us using one of our 11 draft picks on a CB.

Gut feeling is I still think Denver makes another rather big splash at CB.  Fangio has made comments about beating KC and Denver is going to build a team to try and do just that.  KC is the best passing team in football and to beat them will require an elite secondary.  I think Denver spends the big bucks there as opposed to ILB.  They can draft or sign a situational cover LB far cheaper than paying Schobert a crazy amount of money to cover RBs and TEs.  Denver needs to add 2 starting caliber CBs this offseason.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

Gut feeling is I still think Denver makes another rather big splash at CB.  Fangio has made comments about beating KC and Denver is going to build a team to try and do just that.  KC is the best passing team in football and to beat them will require an elite secondary.  I think Denver spends the big bucks there as opposed to ILB.  They can draft or sign a situational cover LB far cheaper than paying Schobert a crazy amount of money to cover RBs and TEs.  Denver needs to add 2 starting caliber CBs this offseason.  

I understand the sentiment but as @Broncofanpointed out, without Simmons we've already allocated $40 million to the secondary this year. Spotrac calculates Simmons value near $15 million, putting us at $55 million towards the cap, tops in the NFL. I can't see us adding anyone else. 

42 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I understand the sentiment but as @Broncofanpointed out, without Simmons we've already allocated $40 million to the secondary this year. Spotrac calculates Simmons value near $15 million, putting us at $55 million towards the cap, tops in the NFL. I can't see us adding anyone else. 

I don’t really see how that’s relevant.  The money/draft capital has to be spent/used somewhere.  Denver has $70M in cap space and a projected 12 picks in the draft. 

It’s like saying you can’t spend $55M across the OL.  You damn sure can if you have the means of addressing other holes throughout the roster, which with Denver’s current roster, cap, and draft capital they most certainly do. 

Edited by germ-x
  • Like 1