Broncos acquire AJ Bouye

beardown3231

FWIW, the 40M figure Nikki J cited included Simmons getting tagged, not adding his $ to the 40M.

I don't think there's a hard ceiling - but it likely creates pause at going after market-setting CB's like Jones.     Especially since if you want 2 or 3 FA's within the pool of impact DL, ILB or IOL/WR2 who help right away, the $ number needed to get those guys is likely going to surprise casual fans.    Especially since the new CBA may change the landscape of the scale of money, teams in general are likely going to spend a lot for the top guys.    Elway's not a guy who usually gets the top guy, until he thinks the team is 1-2 guys away (Talib/Ware in 2014).

Edited by Broncofan

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

FWIW, the 40M figure Nikki J cited included Simmons getting tagged, not adding his $ to the 40M.

I don't think there's a hard ceiling - but it likely creates pause at going after market-setting CB's like Jones.     Especially since if you want 2 or 3 FA's within the pool of impact DL, ILB or IOL/WR2 who help right away, the $ number needed to get those guys is likely going to surprise casual fans.    Especially since the new CBA may change the landscape of the scale of money, teams in general are likely going to spend a lot for the top guys.    Elway's not a guy who usually gets the top guy, until he thinks the team is 1-2 guys away (Talib/Ware in 2014).

According to spotrac we have $40.5 million commited to 11 secondary players for 2020. Simmons is not among them.

Spotrac's normally quite accurate. They also calculate Simmons value at $14.5 million per season. Comes out to $55 million.

Keep in mind, between Jackson, Callahan and Bouye we're on the hook for $36 million for just those three.

Again, Denver has to spend money this offseason.  I think it’s a forgotten piece.  Denver can roll some money over into 2021, but IIRC teams must spend around 90% of their cap space every year.  For Denver that # is looking like a minimum of $63M.  

Now it comes down to how that money is spent, but it HAS to be spent.  All indications out of Denver are that they’re going to be aggressive and target some of the bigger name FAs (again, with the amount of money Denver must spend they almost have to do this).  

When you’re going to spend elite dollars on players you shouldn’t worry about what’s already been spent on that unit and should be focusing on adding players that are more closely worth the asking price. 

A terrific example is Joe Schobert (and I’m a Schobert fan and have been in since his days in Wisconsin), who is projected to make $10M+ and realistically should make $6M or less and platoon with Todd Davis with Schobert being the cover LB and Davis being the run defender. 

An every down outside CB is easily worth $10M + and a bigger need than overpaying for a situational ILB for Denver. 

12 minutes ago, iLikeDefense said:

I can live with a lot of money tied up to secondary when you have guys like Bouye, Callahan and Jackson all coming off the books in two years or so. 

Another excellent point and ties into my last post as to why you spend money on the player and not on the what’s already been spent on the position.  

4 hours ago, AKRNA said:

According to spotrac we have $40.5 million commited to 11 secondary players for 2020. Simmons is not among them.

Spotrac's normally quite accurate. They also calculate Simmons value at $14.5 million per season. Comes out to $55 million.

Keep in mind, between Jackson, Callahan and Bouye we're on the hook for $36 million for just those three.

My mistake on Nicky J, she quoted (correctly) 50M for our top 4 CB's:

The 55 - 11 CB's is misleading, simply because we likely are only going to carry 7-8 CB's on the 53-man roster, and it's the top 51 salaries that count. But yeah, either way it's a lot to commit to 1 unit.    Having a lot of rookie contracts helps Elway disregard team balance in $ - but his aversion to not spending top FA $ at setting new bars is hard to ignore.  For a guy like Byron Jones, that's what it will take.    It's why I see a Prince Amukumura as a more likely target, for example.   

If Elway wants to go after an IOL, WR2, DL starter & ILB guy....even with 2 or 3 and not 4 guys at top 5 FA levels, those are all 8-figure salaries.    I don't doubt Elway is going to try to make a splash in FA - but I think he's going to target G / WR2 / DL / ILB before going big on CB.  Guess we'll see soon enough.

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, iLikeDefense said:

I can live with a lot of money tied up to secondary when you have guys like Bouye, Callahan and Jackson all coming off the books in two years or so. 

58 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Again, Denver has to spend money this offseason.  I think it’s a forgotten piece.  Denver can roll some money over into 2021, but IIRC teams must spend around 90% of their cap space every year.  For Denver that # is looking like a minimum of $63M.  

Now it comes down to how that money is spent, but it HAS to be spent.  All indications out of Denver are that they’re going to be aggressive and target some of the bigger name FAs (again, with the amount of money Denver must spend they almost have to do this).  

When you’re going to spend elite dollars on players you shouldn’t worry about what’s already been spent on that unit and should be focusing on adding players that are more closely worth the asking price. 

A terrific example is Joe Schobert (and I’m a Schobert fan and have been in since his days in Wisconsin), who is projected to make $10M+ and realistically should make $6M or less and platoon with Todd Davis with Schobert being the cover LB and Davis being the run defender. 

An every down outside CB is easily worth $10M + and a bigger need than overpaying for a situational ILB for Denver. 

56 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Another excellent point and ties into my last post as to why you spend money on the player and not on the what’s already been spent on the position.  

In the end, I don't mind if Elway spends - as long as he targets guys with 2021-2022 peak level play being maintained.  It's honestly why I'm totally fine with letting CHJ walk.   This isn't a 2013 situation where we're 1-2 guys away.   We're 5-6 guys away - but we've got cap room and Day 2 picks to spend.    

Realistically we're still a year away from being a legit contender - but we can make FA signings that help us now - so long as those guys are peak level performers in 2021-22.   It's why I don't mind going after the 2nd contract guys this offseason - 3rd contracts get iffier, because of the inherent risk with decline in the next 1-2 years.

Edited by Broncofan