Bernstien: Fox will be fired

WindyCity

My question is why do we all think that Gase is safe?  I'm not saying he's been a poor drafter, he busted hard on Kevin White but thats not really on him, he couldnt' have predicted those injuries, plus he didn't have his talent evaluators in place.  That being said, this team really hasn't gotten more talented overall, apart from at QB, RB, and arguable the interior DL.  Otherwise, everything is a marginal upgrade, downgrade, or push since he got here.  I am not one to "blow it up" 3 times in 10 years, and would probably rather Pace stays, but is there really that much indication that Pace is significantly more safe than Fox?

I'm assuming you meant Pace... it's because he told the McCaskeys before he was hired that this is going to take time and he wants to build through the draft. They green lit him... combine that with him just drafting our franchise QB and he will absolutely get to hire head coach number two.

Fangio's contract is up after this season and I don't think he's going to sign on for a lame duck year. Dowell Loggains really hasn't done anything to deserve being around here to develop Mitch.... I think it's in our best interest to just cut the ****in cord with this coaching staff after this season (of course, keep Fangio if he would come back with a new HC).

1 hour ago, IronMike84 said:

I'll throw Matt Patricia in there as well, even though I don't think he's as good of a candidate as McDaniels or JBC. He'll get a ton of interviews.

I also really love Harbaugh. Harbaugh is the perfect fit: history of building successful programs, brings a no-BS us-against-the-world attitude, and understands the team's history and culture. But I think his antics are so far from what Pace is looking for that it's just not in the cards.

That being said, my #1 is McDaniels. I've read a lot about the guy since Denver canned him, and he has made a complete 180 in all aspects of his life, which many people will completely overlook. I'm well aware of the lack of success Patriots assistants have had once they've moved on, but I think pairing McDaniels with Trubisky would be a hell of a combo.

I don't think much of Harbaugh's antics, he is a character for sure, but still a clean background. JBC has a DUI and aggravated assault charge to his name.

That being said to pull him away from Michigan I think he will want total control, no way Pace does that. I'd still offer him the monster deal as a prayer, but just don't see it happening.

So my current short list:

1- McDaniels: Like you said he has made major changes and growth. Add that to being the highest recommendation Bill has ever given and that the potential GOAT in Brady hangs to his word. Clearly he has command and respect in the locker room. Honestly if he wasn't so brash before, I think he and Jay enjoy a pretty prosperous tenure together.

2 - Sean Payton: He signed an extension but rumor has it he and NO want to part ways. A late round pick or even a player could make for an interesting trade. Get a Super Bowl winning coach with Pace helping stock the shelves on defense, which has barely been a notion in NO the past decade. There is no denying his offense has been elite for his tenure in NO, and I love the idea of him molding Trubisky.

3- Todd Downing: Maybe the next Sean McVay? He has helped expedite Carr to an MVP caliber player. There is no denying he has a ton of potential, but can he handle the responsibilities of a head coach, or will he have the McDaniels reality crash? I think he is a little more grounded than Josh was, and might be able to overcome being an under-40 head coach statistic.

4- Pete Charmichal Jr.: He has been calling plays and installing gameplans in NO under Payton for a while, and clearly has been exceptional to the offense's production. That being said, is he able to command a locker room and staff, or is he the mad scientist type Trestman was? Pace would have more of an idea than we could, but the fact Brees lauds him pretty heavily is impressive. The concern was how he was completely overlooked when Payton was out, even Brees saying the interim coach picked over him was the "obvious choice."

5- Todd Haley: Not a huge fan of his previous head coaching gig, but he does a few things that are hard to ignore. He has helped the Steelers change from Cowher's Steel Curtain to being able to score with the best in the game. He protects QBs more than you would think (unlike Arians who puts QBs on an island like Martz did), Big Ben brings a lot of punishment on himself by looking for the big plays, but it is clear the team has developed and does a great job of not becoming one dimensional.

6 - Scott Linehan: Skeptical here, but he is worth monitoring after seeing how well Dak played. I have been a big proponent of advancing a QB slowly, involving heavily the schemes they were successful with in college. They did this with Cam, they have done it with Mariota and Carr, and Scott did it very well with Dak. If Dak continues to have a solid second season, Linehan's name will be brought back up.

7- Dave Toub - Beloved, a leader of men, and he knows how a team is run. I remember seeing starters lining up all over on special teams, it was crazy. They did it because they felt they could make major impacts and Toub installed a believe that the special teams unit was an equal third of the team, so it needed the best players. I am concerned about getting a true system for Trubisky to be developed in. We saw what a carousel of OCs can do to a QB with Jay.

My current vote is a Jim Bob Cooter + Fangio system where they both also act as the respective OC/DC..The Lions might not be that great of a team team, but they can produce offensively under JBC.

That being said, I feel as if Fangio is probably 60/40  to be getting the boot along with Fox.... on account of the "bend don't break" mentality and lack of defensive turnovers.... Personally, I'd prefer a DC that attacks more often ala a Buddy/Rex Ryan style defense, though I'm not keen enough on all the potential coaching hires to know who runs a very successful 3-4 attacking defense.

I don't want anything to do with Harbaugh (who pretty typically wears out his welcome quickly in any given place), nor am I really all that interested in Payton, given how badly the Saints have been managed recently... Granted most of it has been gross financial mismanagement and a complete neglect of defense, which isn't really Payton's fault as much as the GMs down there, but even so, I'm skeptical. Also cross McDaniels off my list, guy is a raging ****** by most accounts I've seen, and I'm not really of the opinion that people change that much over time.

Whole thing was stupid.  They botched this big time. 

Plan was a veteran QB to be competitive and a redshirt year for rookie.  

Well the veteran QB hasn't played in a long time and didn't know the system. So he was like a rookie too and had to learn.  So you wasted a gazillion reps developing a low ceiling guy at some cost to your young stud.  

They should have played Mitch from day 1 of minicamp.  Season was never going to be great anyway.  But if they wanted to stay with their plan it was evident very early that Glennon was bad.  If they wanted to stay with their stupid plan the veteran QB should have been Sanchez. Admit your mistake with Glennon early, cut him and move on.  Instead they embarked on a Glennon developmental project.  Stupid. 

Now just like I said months ago you are going to send your rookie out there half prepared with an injury depleted and demoralized team.  What you didn't want to happen, the loss of confidence, is now more of a certainty than ever.  

11 hours ago, G08 said:

I'm assuming you meant Pace... it's because he told the McCaskeys before he was hired that this is going to take time and he wants to build through the draft. They green lit him... combine that with him just drafting our franchise QB and he will absolutely get to hire head coach number two.

Fangio's contract is up after this season and I don't think he's going to sign on for a lame duck year. Dowell Loggains really hasn't done anything to deserve being around here to develop Mitch.... I think it's in our best interest to just cut the ****in cord with this coaching staff after this season (of course, keep Fangio if he would come back with a new HC).

Yes, I did,  I'm sorry I was incredibly tired last night xD.

But where is that reported?  I'm not sure the McCaskeys are quite as sold as we are, and we have gotten steadily worse with him as GM, as hard as that sounds.

Whether you like his antics or not, Jim Harbaugh truly is the homerun hire for Ryan Pace. He is EXACTLY what this team needs, someone to light a fire underneath people, brings an aggressive mentality, track record of developing young QBs, and is IMO the only person who could convince Fangio to sign a contract extension. That is a huge deal for continuity and our defensive sake. Not to mention, talk about selling tickets, which we all know is #1 priority to the McCaskeys. 

Josh McDaniels would be a clear cut #2, I get goosebumps thinking about what he could do with a young Mitch Trubisky. He would be the IDEAL young/innovative offensive "guru" to truly get the absolute best out of Trubisky. I don't think you can say enough about the experience and knowledge he's gained not only from BB but from a maturity standpoint given his previous HC opportunity in Denver. I see him seizing the moment and running with it full speed whichever team he chooses. And I truly believe he will chose a team, not vice versa. More likely than not will be the #1 candidate for most teams this offseason.

Mike Vrabel is my dark horse candidate. If we go the defensive route, he's by a far margin the top guy to go with. He possibly has the highest ceiling of any assistant coach right now as far as success as a HC down the road. Some may say it's "too early", but I don't believe teams put as much stock in that as we think (see McVay). His defensive scheme would translate extremely well to our personnel and from all accounts would be a players coach, a true players coach (not Oldtimer Fox). 

Dave Toub would probably be an underwhelming hire to most fans but talk about a guy who has respect throughout the league, would no doubt put together a stellar staff under him. I think he's a lock for Indianapolis though with Chris Ballard at the helm. 

I do really like Jim Bob Cooter although he seems sort of like a loose cannon, not sure that his personality/mantra would jive with Ryan Pace. Interesting to note, all his criminal charges have magically "disappeared" from state court records, which are public regardless of a dismissal/deferment/acquittal. Really interesting, yet really shady....

Neither case exists in records of the Criminal Court for Knox County, said Deputy County Clerk Brittany Warwick. That means there's no public proof at the courthouse whether the charges were dropped, dismissed, expunged, acquitted or dealt with some other way. Warwick said that any criminal case, from a traffic ticket to a felony, would appear in courthouse records if it existed.

I want no part of Pete Carmichael Jr/Scott Linehan/Matt Patricia. Those are the definition of tier 3 hires.

8 hours ago, Epyon said:

My current vote is a Jim Bob Cooter + Fangio system where they both also act as the respective OC/DC..The Lions might not be that great of a team team, but they can produce offensively under JBC.

That being said, I feel as if Fangio is probably 60/40  to be getting the boot along with Fox.... on account of the "bend don't break" mentality and lack of defensive turnovers.... Personally, I'd prefer a DC that attacks more often ala a Buddy/Rex Ryan style defense, though I'm not keen enough on all the potential coaching hires to know who runs a very successful 3-4 attacking defense.

I don't want anything to do with Harbaugh (who pretty typically wears out his welcome quickly in any given place), nor am I really all that interested in Payton, given how badly the Saints have been managed recently... Granted most of it has been gross financial mismanagement and a complete neglect of defense, which isn't really Payton's fault as much as the GMs down there, but even so, I'm skeptical. Also cross McDaniels off my list, guy is a raging ****** by most accounts I've seen, and I'm not really of the opinion that people change that much over time.

Why is everyone intent on keeping Fangio? I liked him as a hire but his units have not produced any turnovers or impact plays. His style of defense is just not producing the same results as in the past.

13 hours ago, G08 said:

Short list:

McDaniels

Carmichael, Jr.

Jim Bob Cooter

McDaniels is going where Jimmy G goes.

Carmichael has the saints/pace connection I could see it.

Jim bob Cooter  first love the name.  Secondly in the division. elevating Matt Stafford's play without megatron speaks for itself.  I would prefer Coach Cooter but who am I ?  

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I really like Jim Bob Cooter

What he has done in Detroit with Stafford is super impressive and that is an offense with no RB, no #1 WR and has had OL issue his entire tenure. Somehow they just produce and they do so in different ways.

is it too early for a Jim Bob mock offseason?

1 hour ago, TankWilliams said:

Yes, I did,  I'm sorry I was incredibly tired last night xD.

But where is that reported?  I'm not sure the McCaskeys are quite as sold as we are, and we have gotten steadily worse with him as GM, as hard as that sounds.

I don't have it in writing but Pace and George have said it multiple times, and Pace said a condition of him accepting the job offer was that McCaskey understood that this is going to take time and won't be some quick-fix.

Archived