2020 NFL Free Agency: Rumors and Reports

jetskid007

5 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

If not, we will hear more drama about Bell situation. sigh.

All this makes me wonder why the Jets are not actively trying to trade Bell, although maybe they are quietly.  It seems the reason Gase did not want Bell is because of the O scheme he has planned which does not include a back like Bell patiently waiting for a hole to open.  If all these OL are better at pass pro vs. run blocking, it will not work in Bell's favor.  I am all for trading Bell even if we have to eat some cash.

23 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Worth noting: all of these OL we’ve signed are significantly better pass blockers than run blockers according to every noteworthy analytics statistic provider (including Lewis). Hopefully scheme adjustments and sheer talent improvement will help with the run game, but at least we know the Jets are focusing their efforts on protecting Sam

I'd think the passing game getting better because Sam has more time in the pocket will at least mean Bell is seeing less 8 ma'am boxes

Just now, xrade said:

All this makes me wonder why the Jets are not actively trying to trade Bell, although maybe they are quietly.  It seems the reason Gase did not want Bell is because of the O scheme he has planned which does not include a back like Bell patiently waiting for a hole to open.  If all these OL are better at pass pro vs. run blocking, it will not work in Bell's favor.  I am all for trading Bell even if we have to eat some cash.

JD said he could not afford to trade Bell because of dead money. I looked at overthecap, I don't any impasse but I suspect that JD will have to cover more money just to get rid of Bell which he doesn't like.  

2 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

This is hilarious 

Basically a poor man's version of cam newton. Diggs gonna go off as Allen sails passes.

Allen has had the edge early on due to having a better team. Darnold has had the worst situation in football 

On 3/6/2020 at 5:45 PM, jetskid007 said:

I don’t think they would do such a thing at all. If a top 3 OL still fell, I’m pretty sure they’d still go that route. 

And yes, you can still rely on 2nd-4th round WRs in this class. It’s that deep.

Maybe  we could get a WR in the second round, but after that when we pick in the third round all the good receivers will be gone.

Hold your worrywart until next year...  We don't know how the draft is unfolded in regard of WR prospects.   However,  I still believe Jets will have good options of WR for 3rd and 4th round but I don't rule out WR being taken in 1st for Jets yet.

The dumbest thing Robby could do IMO is wait and see what Perriman gets. I don’t see TB shelling out a bunch of money for him with what they already have as weapons (assuming he’s resigns there). I could see if anything Perriman taking a smaller contract on a 1yr deal to prove he’s the WR he finished as last season, as well as a chance to win a SB.

The thing about Robby is he’s not exactly the best fit schematically and he’s not a threat against our division rivals. 

Buffalo takes away the deep ball better than anyone. That’s why he never really shines against them. He went 3/23 and 3/18.

New England and Miami have press man schemes and he’s bad against that as well. Last year 3/11 and 1/10 vs New England and 2/33 and 7/117 1 TD vs Miami. 

2018 isn’t any better outside a big catch against Buffalo. 

We need guys we can move around. Play short, intermediate and deep. Make plays after the catch. Robby is a luxury type player but with our lack of depth/talent I understand wanting him back. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

The thing about Robby is he’s not exactly the best fit schematically and he’s not a threat against our division rivals. 

Buffalo takes away the deep ball better than anyone. That’s why he never really shines against them. He went 3/23 and 3/18.

New England and Miami have press man schemes and he’s bad against that as well. Last year 3/11 and 1/10 vs New England and 2/33 and 7/117 1 TD vs Miami. 

We need guys we can move around. Play short, intermediate and deep. Make plays after the catch. Robby is a luxury type player but with our lack of depth/talent I understand wanting him back. 

He really is terrible after the catch.   Which is I think the number 1 trait Gase is looking for.   Guys that can run those shallow crossers and take it to the house.   Which is why I believe there is some validity to us liking Ruggs.   He tailor made to take crossing routes to the bank. 

I agree that Robby’s probably shooting himself in the foot. The benefit teams get from the tampering period is that they don’t make formalized offers - simply exchange terms and perimeters. I would bet that Robby only has one offer in-hand- the Jets one- and he’s been shopping around hoping for a higher one, but teams were turned off by his asking price during the tampering period so never offered on.

If he continues to wait, he runs the risk of the Jets saying screw it, signing someone else and retracting their offer. I don’t think they will do it since Douglas doesn’t come off as a guy who lets emotions get the best of him, but it could happen.

19 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Issue is there’s no one in FA moving the needle on that either. Cooks via trade is the only guy. And we haven’t heard that as a legit rumor connected with us. I just can’t see us going into the draft with what we have at WR. That would make us needing like 3-4 WRs in the draft. And a couple of them would need to be Day 1 starters.