2020 NFL Free Agency: Rumors and Reports

jetskid007

Will be interesting to see if Douglas can turn Williamson into an asset (either pick or maybe part of a package for an edge or OT) rather than just cutting him. We're not in dire need of the space right now so it's not like teams can look at it and assume he'll be cut soon.

9 hours ago, doumeyer said:

I agree Rick, the first two rounds are key for us. the Perriman pickup was good but we still need that third WR who is a playmaker .  After we pick at 11 in the draft we don't pick again till the 48 pick in the draft. By the time we pick at 48 all the first tier WR's will be gone.

I'm actually open to trading up in the 2nd for a WR who slipped out of the first. Most 2nd round trade-ups have given up their 2nd + 4th. I'm cool with that if a lot of WR's are taken in the first. 

I don't think we will need 3 WRs this offseason because Doctson + Perriman are great for depth and competition.  We just need 2 people on the outside that can help Darnold. We have flexibility. If we wanted to, we could go R1:OT , R2:WR, R3:WR or R1:WR, R2: OT, R3: WR. If we were looking to double-dip. I'm still holding out hope we add a starting vet WR, but if we don't, I see these options as being the best for us. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Sapo28 said:

Unless we’re making a move on Clowney...

I was just thinking about how creating more space would give JD a chance to up the offer for someone like Clowney or a potential trade target.

I wanted to keep Williamson but I don't think it will happen now. we brought back all the replacements who looked good while he was out and added someone who started next to Mosley at one point. Didn't really have to. 

12 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

The move is head scratching with what we already have and have even resigned already at ILB. Mosley, Williamson, Burgess, Hewitt, Cashman and now this guy?!?! That’s 6 ILBs

Did you see what happened to our LBs last year lol? 

I think they'll carry 4 or 5 ILB end of the day. Last year our opening day roster consisted of 2 EDGE, 2 MLB, 2 WLB, 2 SLB. Williamson will likely get cut/traded, and Burgess/Hewitt/Cashman/Onwuasor will be part of a group that competes for the 3-4 additional spots. 

Just now, jetskid007 said:

Did you see what happened to our LBs last year lol? 

I think they'll carry 4 or 5 ILB end of the day. Last year our opening day roster consisted of 2 EDGE, 2 MLB, 2 WLB, 2 SLB. Williamson will likely get cut/traded, and Burgess/Hewitt/Cashman/Onwuasor will be part of a group that competes for the 3-4 additional spots. 

We move Williamson and it makes sense to me. Just with no move yet, it’s a bit head scratching.

I like all these guys, so I’m not against it. Just seems like waste if there’s not a corresponding move soon

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

We move Williamson and it makes sense to me. Just with no move yet, it’s a bit head scratching.

I like all these guys, so I’m not against it. Just seems like waste if there’s not a corresponding move soon

No rush to make a decision on Williamson, and just because a guy signs a 1 year deal doesn't guarantee him a roster spot

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Unless we are bringing in a big name and need more space I don't get why people want to cut AW so fast.  None of these guys behind him and CJ are better so why get worse at a position of strength for no reason. 

I for one don’t want AW cut. But the move to bring in and resign and have all these ILBs is head scratching without trading and releasing him. And if we are doing that, with the cap we still have. It would only make sense for it to be for a move with a guy with a larger cap hit. We will see. Don’t have to worry about cap until we have to be under. But still odd

Current projected starters/top backups and their contract expiration: 

QUARTERBACKS
Sam Darnold 2023  
RUNNING BACKS
Le'Veon Bell 2023* early out 2021
WIDE RECEIVERS
Quincy Enunwa 2023* cut candidate
Jamison Crowder 2022  
Breshad Perriman 2021  
TIGHT ENDS
Ryan Griffin 2023  
Chris Herndon 2022  
OFFENSIVE LINE
Connor McGovern 2023  
Greg Van Roten 2023  
Chuma Edoga 2023  
George Fant 2023* early out 2021
Alex Lewis 2023* early out 2021
Brian Winters 2021 cut candidate
Jonotthan Harrison 2021 cut candidate
Josh Andrews 2021 cut candidate

DEFENSIVE LINE
Quinnen Williams 2024  
Kyle Phillips 2023  
Nathan Shepherd 2022  
Foley Fatukasi 2022  
Henry Anderson 2022* cut candidate
Steve McLendon 2021  
EDGE RUSHERS
Jordan Jenkins 2021  
Tarell Basham 2021  
LINEBACKERS
C.J. Mosley 2024  
Blake Cashman 2023 cut candidate
Jordan Jenkins 2021  
Tarell Basham 2021  
Avery Williamson 2021 cut candidate
James Burgess 2021 cut candidate
Neville Hewitt 2021 cut candidate
Patrick Onwuasor 2021 cut candidate
CORNERBACKS
Blessuan Austin 2023  
Pierre Desir 2021  
Brian Poole 2021  
Arthur Maulet 2021 cut candidate
Nate Hairston 2021 cut candidate
SAFETIES
Jamal Adams 2022  
Marcus Maye 2021  
Marqui Christian 2021  

The bold are who I would consider our "core". Really puts in perspective how glaring our needs at OL, WR, EDGE, and CB still are. Need at least one "core" player at each of those positions by the start of the 2021 season if we're going to be real contenders during Sam's rookie contract. Hopefully Bless and Edoga, and Phillips can prove themselves to be that level this season. 

• Like 2

To be honest I'd be quite happy with making no more signings until after the draft and then try pick up some value players. Teams that 'win' the off-season don't have a great track record. That said, I'd be fairly happy taking a gamble on Clowney on a 1 or 2 year deal as the potential reward there is enormous. Draft OL or WR at 11 - either of them will help Sam.