Jump to content
jetskid007

2020 NFL Free Agency: Rumors and Reports

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, DowNY said:

Who’s to say we get the right OT out the 4? We won’t even have the options out all 4. We’re getting whatever is left. Don’t value positional need out of desperation over positional need out of talent. All 4 OTs shouldn’t be ranked over the top 3 WRs. I’m sorry. A rookie won’t put our current OLine in the top 10 this season. If things go really bad; we can draft an OT next year. 
The WR Tiers are different. It’s going to be a good run before we have our 2nd pick.

Perhaps I should have been more clear.  I would certainly support a WR at 11 IF the big 4 OT are gone.  I certainly do not suggest we reach for OT if they are gone and we cant trade down.  I believe more teams are really paying attention to OL.  Teams that seem to always pick in the top 10-15 year after year all have the same offensive issue - poor OL and QB play.  The real question is:  in general,  if a good OL gives the QB time, does that make the WR on any given team better or does a team need that "A" list of WR to be better?  I believe the former.  Another question, if the big 3 WR are so much better than the big 3 or 4 OT, why would they be available at 11?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, xrade said:

Perhaps I should have been more clear.  I would certainly support a WR at 11 IF the big 4 OT are gone.  I certainly do not suggest we reach for OT if they are gone and we cant trade down.  I believe more teams are really paying attention to OL.  Teams that seem to always pick in the top 10-15 year after year all have the same offensive issue - poor OL and QB play.  The real question is:  in general,  if a good OL gives the QB time, does that make the WR on any given team better or does a team need that "A" list of WR to be better?  I believe the former.  Another question, if the big 3 WR are so much better than the big 3 or 4 OT, why would they be available at 11?

Are they though?!?!

 KC just won SB with just an OK OL and average to below average defense BUT have great weapons. If it’s a copycat league... teams would be loading up on weapons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Are they though?!?!

 KC just won SB with just an OK OL and average to below average defense BUT have great weapons. If it’s a copycat league... teams would be loading up on weapons.

I don’t think we should be comparing ourselves to KC. Patrick Mahomes is the cheat code.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

I don’t think we should be comparing ourselves to KC. Patrick Mahomes is the cheat code.

I’m not comparing Darnold to Mahomes. But people do keep bringing up that this is a copycat league. And the team that just won did it with a great QB and weapons. Not a great OL or defense. So if it’s a copycat league... teams will be prioritizing weapons

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I’m not comparing Darnold to Mahomes. But people do keep bringing up that this is a copycat league. And the team that just won did it with a great QB and weapons. Not a great OL or defense. So if it’s a copycat league... teams will be prioritizing weapons

I think it’s more of valuing certain traits at positions more so than the exact way a team is built. For example teams are probably going to look for WRs with more speed compared to those with pure size.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dr.O said:

I think it’s more of valuing certain traits at positions more so than the exact way a team is built. For example teams are probably going to look for WRs with more speed compared to those with pure size.

Well we have a chance to get our Tyreek Hill...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Are they though?!?!

 KC just won SB with just an OK OL and average to below average defense BUT have great weapons. If it’s a copycat league... teams would be loading up on weapons.

KC's OL is a hell of a lot better than ours.  Build from the trenches out.  I do not trust Fant and Edoga will help our situation much.   Tyreek was drafted in the fifth round.  I know much of it had to do with his off the field issues, but I do not believe he was first round material at the time.  With this WR class being so deep, get a better OT (assuming one is there at 11), allow Darnold the time to throw and not get mauled, then get our WR at 48 or trade up a little in the second if necessary.  Maybe we get out our own Hill or Moss or Rice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I’m not comparing Darnold to Mahomes. But people do keep bringing up that this is a copycat league. And the team that just won did it with a great QB and weapons. Not a great OL or defense. So if it’s a copycat league... teams will be prioritizing weapons

Straw man fallacy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dr.O said:

I don’t think we should be comparing ourselves to KC. Patrick Mahomes is the cheat code.

Do I think Mahomes is better than Sam right now?  Yes.   But I think if anything has been proven lately it's that a QBs surroundings has a massive impact on his performance.   Sam has potentially the worst surroundings in the league.   Between coaching, weapons, and a good pass blocking line,  Mahomes might have the best. 

If they switch teams I honestly don't know how effective Mahomes would be, but I'd be amazed if he was in the pro bowl discussions much less MVP talks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

Do I think Mahomes is better than Sam right now?  Yes.   But I think if anything has been proven lately it's that a QBs surroundings has a massive impact on his performance.   Sam has potentially the worst surroundings in the league.   Between coaching, weapons, and a good pass blocking line,  Mahomes might have the best. 

If they switch teams I honestly don't know how effective Mahomes would be, but I'd be amazed if he was in the pro bowl discussions much less MVP talks. 

Agreed. To compare the talent around the 2 is laughable. Hardman who’s pretty far down on their pecking order is arguably better than our #1 in Crowder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

Agreed. To compare the talent around the 2 is laughable. Hardman who’s pretty far down on their pecking order is arguably better than our #1 in Crowder.

Yup,  though I think the bigger variable us Andy Reid.   Has he ever NOT made a QB look good?  He had Alex Smith looking like an MVP candidate.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Kansas City Chiefs: Super Bowl Offensive Lineup

WIDE RECEIVER

  • Tyreek Hill - 5th round pick 
  • Sammy Watkins - 1st round pick/free agent acquisition 
  • Mecole Hardman - 2nd round pick 
  • Demarcus Robinson - 4th round pick 

TIGHT END

  • Travis Kelce - 3rd round pick 

RUNNING BACK

  • Damien Williams - Undrafted/free agent acquisition

OFFENSIVE LINE

  • Eric Fisher - 1st round pick 
  • Stefen Wisniewski - 2nd round pick/free agent acquisition 
  • Austin Reiter - 7th round pick/free agent acquisition 
  • Laurent Duvernay-Tardif - 6th round pick 
  • Mitchell Schwartz - 2nd round pick/free agent acquisition

 

 

And before someone says "well it works for them because of Pat Mahomes"... Hill was great before Mahomes. Kelce was great before Mahomes. Mitchell Schwartz was great before Mahomes. LDT was very good before Mahomes. Sammy Watkins has been the same player with Mahomes as he was with Jared Goff and Tyrod Taylor. I'm tired of reading this nonsense. 

Edited by jetskid007

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Andy Reid made Matt Moore look great too.  Moore is a top notch back up,  and he was less effective than Mahomes,  but is QB rating was 5 points lower than Mahomes.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have every right as Jets fans to not trust “getting these mid/late round star players.” We pretty much have 0 history of it. Never mind repeatedly draft after draft finding good players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Kansas City Chiefs: Super Bowl Offensive Lineup

WIDE RECEIVER

  • Tyreek Hill - 5th round pick 
  • Sammy Watkins - 1st round pick/free agent acquisition 
  • Mecole Hardman - 2nd round pick 
  • Demarcus Robinson - 4th round pick 

TIGHT END

  • Travis Kelce - 3rd round pick 

RUNNING BACK

  • Damien Williams - Undrafted/free agent acquisition

OFFENSIVE LINE

  • Eric Fisher - 1st round pick 
  • Stefen Wisniewski - 2nd round pick/free agent acquisition 
  • Austin Reiter - 7th round pick/free agent acquisition 
  • Laurent Duvernay-Tardif - 6th round pick 
  • Mitchell Schwartz - 2nd round pick/free agent acquisition

 

 

And before someone says "well it works for them because of Pat Mahomes"... Hill was great before Mahomes. Kelce was great before Mahomes. Mitchell Schwartz was great before Mahomes. LDT was very good before Mahomes. Sammy Watkins has been the same player with Mahomes as he was with Jared Goff and Tyrod Taylor. I'm tired of reading this nonsense. 

I don't think this really says anything though. Also, FWIW I don't have a side in this discussion as I'm for either WR or OT in the first, but...

The Chiefs have absolutely HIT on mid-round picks as evidenced above by their skill-position groups, but that's rare, and that's why they're so dominant and Super Bowl Champions. Its the fact that they HIT on mid-round picks, which also serves as evidence as to why the New York Jets have been so bad for the last decade.

But hitting on mid-round picks is not the norm, especially for us. For the most part, if you want to select the best players, the best shot to do that is in the first round. Furthermore, Eric Fisher and Stefen Wisniewski are high round picks, but far from best at their respective positions, so I don't see the argument. The only argument here is that you need to hit on your mid-round picks and that clearly the skill position players far outweigh the offensive line in terms of skill when talking about the 2019-2020Kansas City Chiefs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×