2020 NFL Free Agency: Rumors and Reports

jetskid007

I think Clowney is starting to find less and less teams in on him. He might do a quick 180 and sign before most teams are out of money after the draft. I would offer Clowney a 2 year 33 mill deal and if he does will we can talk about an extension. Clowney would be a nice pick up and he is 27 I do believe and that is right in his prime. 

14 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I think Clowney is starting to find less and less teams in on him. He might do a quick 180 and sign before most teams are out of money after the draft. I would offer Clowney a 2 year 33 mill deal and if he does will we can talk about an extension. Clowney would be a nice pick up and he is 27 I do believe and that is right in his prime. 

Clowney is playing it smart. Someone will over him 18 mil per season (either 1 yr or 2 yr deal).   

Right now teams are playing hardball cause of the draft. However, this is an absurdly weak edge rush draft.  There will be several teams that will feel they're 1 edge rusher away from contention... those teams will gladly pay him after the draft if they miss out on an edge guy. 

I'd expect him to resign with a Seahawks, a 1 yr 18 mil deal (or a 2 yr deal that's easily escaped after next season). 

If I'm the Jets, I'd cut winters and some other dead weight and offer clowney a 2 yr 36 mil contract. I'd make it so yr 2 had virtually no dead money if cut. However, I believe cap wise we would still have to make room. (Would also make extending Adam's tougher next season).

Edited by KodiakThunder

I’d offer Clowney the Revis/New England contract. 

2/32M but I’d structure it with 16M guaranteed. 

12M this year, 20M option next year(4M guaranteed). 

He gets 16M and goes back into free agency next year. Or if we like the fit we can structure a long term deal during the season. 

• Like 3

Just now, KingOfTheDot said:

He gets 16M and goes back into free agency next year. Or if we like the fit we can structure a long term deal during the season. 

I think that this would be the best approach if we were to sign him

2 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

I’m iffy on him. The production isn’t there. And he apparently thinks it is. Just seems like it’s paying for a skill set, rather than actual production.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Both. 

I disagree. Even in a down year he had 4 forced fumbles, 3 pdf's and 2 fumble recoveries in 13 games. Oh, and he had 2 touchdowns... one from a fumble rec and 1 from an int... does that sound like someone whose "nonexistant" in the field?

In his previous 2 seasons he had 37 tfl's combined. That's not a skill set we currently have. 

Edited by KodiakThunder
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, KodiakThunder said:

I disagree. Even in a down year he had 4 forced fumbles, 3 pdf's and 2 fumble recoveries in 13 games. Oh, and he had 2 touchdowns... one from a fumble rec and 1 from an int... does that sound like someone whose "nonexistant" in the field?

In his previous 2 seasons he had 37 tfl's combined. That's not a skill set we currently have. 

And that’s great. But that’s paying him top 10 edge rusher money. When he’s never had double digit sacks. Not at all saying he’s not good, the skill set is not there, etc. a just from a getting to the QB perspective... he’s not in that elite class like he wants to get paid. I 100% think he has the talent to do so, but for some reason it doesn’t show up watching him or on the stat sheet. 

13 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

And that’s great. But that’s paying him top 10 edge rusher money. When he’s never had double digit sacks. Not at all saying he’s not good, the skill set is not there, etc. a just from a getting to the QB perspective... he’s not in that elite class like he wants to get paid. I 100% think he has the talent to do so, but for some reason it doesn’t show up watching him or on the stat sheet. 

I dont disagree that he idnt elite. But we have 2 choices.... trade for an elite olb (costs at least a 1st) or draft one (crap shoot). 

If we can sign a guy like clowney to a 1 or 2 yr deal, I dont mind overpaying him. Hes mich better than anyone else we have access to without losing key pieces moving forward.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I’m iffy on him. The production isn’t there. And he apparently thinks it is. Just seems like it’s paying for a skill set, rather than actual production.

And I thought I was the only person to think that way.   Clowney has not yet fully lived up to any of his hype, going way back.  He applies pressure and OC's have to account for him, true, but I'm not at the point where I consider him anything remotely close to elite. Not sure he is worth the money, so if JD does go Clowney, that NE/Revis type deal is the right way to do it.

Just now, dcat said:

And I thought I was the only person to think that way.   Clowney has not yet fully lived up to any of his hype, going way back.  He applies pressure and OC's have to account for him, true, but I'm not at the point where I consider him anything remotely close to elite. Not sure he is worth the money, so if JD does go Clowney, that NE/Revis type deal is the right way to do it.

Absolutely he’s a guy worth accounting for. But to pay a guy 16mill + they better be productive too. Teams account for Donald more so than any defensive player arguably these days and he still got 12.5 sacks and that’s from the interior. Just an example. Like I said... I know the skill set is there to be that. But for whatever reason it’s not productive 

I'd like Clowney, I think he'll be more like Texans Clowney than Seahawks Clowney if we signed him

Its depressing see that since 2006 we have not had a legit edge rusher. Its like a position we consistently fail to get. When todays NFL you need that guy who can get to the QB.

I miss the days of John Abraham.  We just can't find that guy who consistently gets 10+ sacks.  We had a chance with Josh Allen and blew it. 

The fact we did absolutely nothing at EDGE so far gives me hope that maybe we land someone. 

I find it funny that this forum is always complaining about edge rusher but at the same time never seems to want to sign guys. 

If clowney was elite, he wouldnt have hit FA. We arent drafted an edge guy early. So if you want to improve the pass rush you quit bellyaching about overpaying 1 guy (who at least has the potential to be elite) and take a chance. Cause I'd rather pay clowney 18 mil next season than winters for less than half that. 

• Like 3