2020 NFL Free Agency: Rumors and Reports

jetskid007

38 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I’d offer Clowney 1yr 15mill and give Him a 48hr deadline or its off the table. 

I’d be all for this if there was other viable options via free agency. Truth is though the cupboard is beyond bare and he’s the only really difference maker left. 

Id keep the game going as long as it takes. We’re not ‘that’ interested otherwise he’d already be a Jet. 

7 minutes ago, xenajets said:

I’d be all for this if there was other viable options via free agency. Truth is though the cupboard is beyond bare and he’s the only really difference maker left. 

Id keep the game going as long as it takes. We’re not ‘that’ interested otherwise he’d already be a Jet. 

That’s not true really. GMs have a value for a player. And the way JD was taught was that you don’t budge far from that price you have set (as well as the market). Keep in mind Clowney at 17mill is the 3rd highest paid 3-4 edge. Is he the 3rd best 3-4 edge? No way. So I’m sure JD values him at a lower price. And is staying true to that. He also doesn't need to panic. We have the same edge group pretty much as last season as of now. So while he for sure wants to improve it... we didn’t get worse there. Basham and Jenkins are our starters like last year. We lost some depth with Copeland, but he wasn’t a difference maker. He also might be seeing using some of all these ILBs we have in pass rush sets. Just an idea he and Williams might have. There’s no question he isn’t done at edge. Whether that’s Clowney, a trade for Yannik or Judon, draft or even a cheaper FA... I don’t know.

I’m fine I’m not budging on the price to some extent. Like if we have offered him $14m and he’s wanting $20 then there’s room to negotiate but if JD says no more than say $15m then I’m cool with him holding firm. 

Where that theory can be disregarded is in the Robby Anderson situation. I know you were heavy on not going over a certain number for him but that’s an instance where you add in the familiarity with Darnold, possible no OTA and training camps etc. 

So I like the principle but situations will arise where you have to somewhat ‘bend your own rules. 

2 hours ago, rampantjet said:

That familiarity lead to the worse pushing offense in the league.   I would have been fine if Robby came back but im not going to stretch for it

Well if you think Perriman was an upgrade to Robby then fair enough. I don’t believe so; the worst passing offense was due to several games without Sam and the fact we had a terrible o-line 

1 hour ago, xenajets said:

Well if you think Perriman was an upgrade to Robby then fair enough. I don’t believe so; the worst passing offense was due to several games without Sam and the fact we had a terrible o-line 

I don't view perriman as an upgrade I'm just saying status quo isn't a great reason to keep things together when you were terrible. 

Edited by rampantjet

I think a good relationship from receivers to QB is going to bigger this offseason with all this COVID-19 stuff limiting workouts and all. The worrisome part of that is the only receiving option Datnold has a relationship with really and recently are Crowder and Griffin

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I think a good relationship from receivers to QB is going to bigger this offseason with all this COVID-19 stuff limiting workouts and all. The worrisome part of that is the only receiving option Datnold has a relationship with really and recently are Crowder and Griffin

Exactly my point. Even if Perriman ‘could’ replicate Robbys work it will be impossible to get up to speed without a proper offseason. That’s why resigning Robby was imperative not just from a talent prospective but also with the physical time to practice etc 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, xenajets said:

Exactly my point. Even if Perriman ‘could’ replicate Robbys work it will be impossible to get up to speed without a proper offseason. That’s why resigning Robby was imperative not just from a talent prospective but also with the physical time to practice etc 

I’m all for the Perriman to Robby trade off. Bc I do believe Perrimans ceiling is higher. But as you mention there’s no relationship there. Herndon didn’t play last year so we can’t say that relationship was there. Bell wasn’t used correctly to have a good receiving relationship great with Darnold.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I’m all for the Perriman to Robby trade off. Bc I do believe Perrimans ceiling is higher. But as you mention there’s no relationship there. Herndon didn’t play last year so we can’t say that relationship was there. Bell wasn’t used correctly to have a good receiving relationship great with Darnold.

Yeah I’m all for debating who’s the better player between Perriman and Anderson. What I think we can all agree on is who Sam has the better chemistry with. In a normal year it’s not ‘as’ important however this is such an unusual year that continuity for Sam should of been more of a concern. 

• Like 1