2020 NFL Free Agency: Rumors and Reports

jetskid007

1 hour ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Gase biggest mistake so far is adjusting on the fly. He has good game plans but has to more contingencies should things go south. 

x1000000

It's incredibly frustrating to watch and (Alarmingly) something Miami fans were critical about as well. 

• Like 2

@KingOfTheDot You’ve gotten a ton of shade for defending Gase and stood your ground, even from me at times, but I admire it. However the assessment of the game plan and adjustments could not be more spot on and fair. I think that’s his biggest issue in a nutshell. He’s not an idiot and the comparison the Kotite really is kinda ridiculous. My next most concerning gripe with him though is his communication with players and alienation he has with certain guys. Douglas verbalized being impressed with how well of a communicator Gase is but it really seems quite the contrary with his players which is not good. Hoping for growth and some change from both players and head coach this year.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

@KingOfTheDot You’ve gotten a ton of shade for defending Gase and stood your ground, even from me at times, but I admire it. However the assessment of the game plan and adjustments could not be more spot on and fair. I think that’s his biggest issue in a nutshell. He’s not an idiot and the comparison the Kotite really is kinda ridiculous. My next most concerning gripe with him though is his communication with players and alienation he has with certain guys. Douglas verbalized being impressed with how well of a communicator Gase is but it really seems quite the contrary with his players which is not good. Hoping for growth and some change from both players and head coach this year.  

Appreciate it. The thing is early on it was just a mess. Darnold out, OL was terrible and our schedule was brutal. He can draw up a lot of good stuff it’s just when DCs figure him out and take it away he goes into game management mode Instead of finding another way to attack. It’s frustrating. 

As far as communication goes I think the issue is most new coaches are products of who they coached under. Gase started under Saban and found his way under McDaniels. Both of whom are products of Belichick. So they have this hard lined approach where they want their guys to get in line and do their jobs. I think that’s where Douglas likes Gase approach. The issue is much like McDaniels, Gase doesn’t have the pedigree Belichick and Saban do. But they didn’t start with that pedigree either. Douglas learned from Ozzie, who learned from Belichick as well. This is where they connect in terms of philosophy. The key will be getting 53 guys to buy in. Winning will help but you gotta do the things needed to win. That’s the issue, some wanna win before doing the things necessary. 

• Like 2

The communication thing is my biggest with Gase. I’m all for accountability but the screen with all the player fines is a bit excessive. At the same time I think some of our players from the old regime aren’t used to actually being held accountable for their mess ups. From an X’s and O’s Standpoint I agree his biggest weakness is his adjustment’s or lack there of. Also his choice of early down runs killed me last year.

1 hour ago, ekill08x said:

Probably a guy that nearly dictates. If you listen to him he communicates well with you and likes you. You don’t do exactly what he says and you’re on his bad side and doesn’t communicate with that individual. Which is actually 100% poor coaching. Good coaching is recognizing that you have a ton of different personalities in your room. You talk to each person differently actually bc you know how they take criticism, how they learn, etc. To coach and think it’s my way or the highway is just awful

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Probably a guy that nearly dictates. If you listen to him he communicates well with you and likes you. You don’t do exactly what he says and you’re on his bad side and doesn’t communicate with that individual. Which is actually 100% poor coaching. Good coaching is recognizing that you have a ton of different personalities in your room. You talk to each person differently actually bc you know how they take criticism, how they learn, etc. To coach and think it’s my way or the highway is just awful

It’s weird because as a player I would prefer a coach being my way or the highway. It’s easier to spot guys who aren’t buying that way and I wouldn’t wanna play with those guys. But you’re right in that the actual coaching and teaching aspect you have to cater to their personality. It’s all about balancing it out. I’ve had a coach chew me out during a game but never after, why? Because it was over and it was time to make sure it didn’t happen again. 

Oddly enough when he finally yelled at Darnold, Sam liked it. But I feel like if he yelled at the Diva, well we’d find out about it on twitter.

8 hours ago, xenajets said:

This. We had a great run going of scoring with our first possession on offense. We looked great. As soon as the other team adjusted we then hit a brick wall. Need more diverse game plans next year. 

Talent will help. At some point in the game, talent takes over. The Jets had a bad offensive roster last year. We’re still not so hot on offense. Probably missing 3 pieces.

The Gregg Williams of the world are rare. Most coaches coach up to the ability of their players. Most coaches aren’t flexible enough to adjust their playbook. This whole adjust your scheme to your players is fake news. I’ve only seen Gregg Williams and John Harbough do that. We will be fine as long as Douglas builds a good roster.

I think we have the right people in the 4 most important positions: GM, QB, HC/OC, and DC. Defensive Coordinator for sure. The other 3 are still hopefuls but promising.  I’ll believe in them until proven otherwise. 

Edited by SDotNova
  • Like 1

Looking at our cap situation and we actually only have a few mill to spend (which you like having for midseason moves due to injury). Shows we have 15+mill... but thats without Jenkins deal announced yet and not including the draft that will cost us around 8mill. Now obviously theres still guys we can move on from to create space if needed (Williamson and Bellamy would save us 10+mill alone). I just don't see JD getting us cap tied with a guy like Clowney or Yannik at this point with minimal cap space to work them in. But who knows...

12 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Looking at our cap situation and we actually only have a few mill to spend (which you like having for midseason moves due to injury). Shows we have 15+mill... but thats without Jenkins deal announced yet and not including the draft that will cost us around 8mill. Now obviously theres still guys we can move on from to create space if needed (Williamson and Bellamy would save us 10+mill alone). I just don't see JD getting us cap tied with a guy like Clowney or Yannik at this point with minimal cap space to work them in. But who knows...

Bellamy is $2.5m

Williamson is $6.5m 

Winters is $7.3m

That’s enough to cover Clowney 😎

Just now, xenajets said:

Bellamy is $2.5m

Williamson is $6.5m 

Winters is $7.3m

That’s enough to cover Clowney 😎

Williamson is a good player and Winters (as of now) is being talked like he isn't going anywhere. But I do have no clue why Bellamy hasn't already been cut.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Williamson is a good player and Winters (as of now) is being talked like he isn't going anywhere. But I do have no clue why Bellamy hasn't already been cut.

Yeah Williamson and Winters are probably going to stick around. Williamson is quality to be fair but we have an abundance of ILB’s and if you could turn the three players I listed into Clowney would you do it? I’d do it in a heartbeat. If we could somehow restructure Williamson to keep him too then that’s just a bonus.  

I just do not see Clowney as a good fit with Greg Williams.  He is injured far too often and sometimes does not give it his all.  Combine that with his lack of production and even $15 million is too much.  Hard pass on Clowney;  the media hype machine.

I got a feeling Winters is going to stick due to the current world situation. More than likely we’re looking at no rookie camp, no OTAs and maybe a shortened training camp. 

Teams are going to need vets who know the system. We could have up to 4 ( possible 5 new starters)?  Winters will be the guy to help the new lineman get up to speed. These guys are going to get a lot fewer reps this year whether the season starts on time or not.