2020 NFL Free Agency: Rumors and Reports

jetskid007

27 minutes ago, JohnnyHectorFan said:

Well, here come the Jamal Adams contract drama again. This is going to drag out all year. It’s obvious Jamal wants a new contract now and JD isn’t budging yet because he doesn’t have to. I think JD is in no hurry because the team couldn’t care less if he sits out a “virtual” offseason.  I think it gets done eventually, but Jamal is in uncharted waters asking for an extension this early. 

Just hope this all works out, with hindsight being 20/20 that Dallas first rounder would have been Ceedee Lamb. I love Jamal but if he ends up walking away, this will be another chapter in the NY Jets woulda coulda shoulda book. 

If he leaves he will join a long line of top players who left the Jets. John Abraham, John Riggens, Hugh Douglas, just to name a few.

1 hour ago, JohnnyHectorFan said:

Well, here come the Jamal Adams contract drama again. This is going to drag out all year. It’s obvious Jamal wants a new contract now and JD isn’t budging yet because he doesn’t have to. I think JD is in no hurry because the team couldn’t care less if he sits out a “virtual” offseason.  I think it gets done eventually, but Jamal is in uncharted waters asking for an extension this early. 

Just hope this all works out, with hindsight being 20/20 that Dallas first rounder would have been Ceedee Lamb. I love Jamal but if he ends up walking away, this will be another chapter in the NY Jets woulda coulda shoulda book. 

I agree with JD on this. Why pay the man when we have him for 2 more seasons plus franchise tags if we want. With the cap in 2021 being a question mark with fans showing up and such. Why pay him now?

And at the end of the day... I think Adams loves football too much to not play this next season or next season.

• Like 2

The frustrating part is that only one first round player has been extended from the 2017 class (McCaffrey). Mahomes, Garrett, Watson, Tre White, Humphrey, Lattimore and TJ Watt are still playing on their rookie deals and there’s no complaints from them. These guys are under contract for 2 more years.

But somehow the Jets are dragging their feet. Makes me believe he’s just trying to force a trade.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

The frustrating part is that only one first round player has been extended from the 2017 class (McCaffrey). Mahomes, Garrett, Watson, Tre White, Humphrey, Lattimore and TJ Watt are still playing on their rookie deals and there’s no complaints from them. These guys are under contract for 2 more years.

But somehow the Jets are dragging their feet. Makes me believe he’s just trying to force a trade.

The Johnson"s ae paying out hundreds of thousands of dollars for their J$J talcum powder that is causing ovarian cancer

Jamal Adams does not want to be a “Jet for life”. Read between the lines guys 

This will continue to happen until contract talks actually take place. Which by all indications the Jets have no intention of doing. They aren’t coming close to 20m. He will be traded eventually. I would of rather done it this year and grabbed Lamb.

Edited by GangGreen420

Just now, GangGreen420 said:

Jamal Adams does not want to be a “Jet for life”. Read between the lines guys 

Jamal Adams wants to be paid for life. Not a Jet for life. I think there's a part of us that can all understand wanting to get your money. But the issue for me is like any contract... he signed a deal and "in essence" doesn't want to fulfill it.These guys have a way of looking at things one way. And that's when its on a GM to sit down and explain the other side.

I'd be sitting down with him and saying you have a contract to fulfill. If we give you a new deal we just can't back out of it 2 years early. So why should you be allowed to not fulfill your contract with 2 years still on it? Play out this next season and we can reevaluate (bc the jump in our cap from a 5th year option to that of a new contract for him isn't as much as his 3mill due this year to the 15-20 mill he wants).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Jamal Adams wants to be paid for life. Not a Jet for life. I think there's a part of us that can all understand wanting to get your money. But the issue for me is like any contract... he signed a deal and "in essence" doesn't want to fulfill it.These guys have a way of looking at things one way. And that's when its on a GM to sit down and explain the other side.

I'd be sitting down with him and saying you have a contract to fulfill. If we give you a new deal we just can't back out of it 2 years early. So why should you be allowed to not fulfill your contract with 2 years still on it? Play out this next season and we can reevaluate (bc the jump in our cap from a 5th year option to that of a new contract for him isn't as much as his 3mill due this year to the 15-20 mill he wants).

Exactly the point. What legs does he have to stand on wanting to be paid now? None.

Like @SDotNova said above, it seems like he could be using this as a way out. There is no logical reason for him to pursue any type of actual holdout. Hopefully right now it’s just posturing. 

If he actually does start to sit out of the mandatory stuff, I hope JD puts him on the block immediately.

30 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

19 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Exactly the point. What legs does he have to stand on wanting to be paid now? None.

Like @SDotNova said above, it seems like he could be using this as a way out. There is no logical reason for him to pursue any type of actual holdout. Hopefully right now it’s just posturing. 

If he actually does start to sit out of the mandatory stuff, I hope JD puts him on the block immediately.

but this is pretty much every big time player in every league. players outperform their contracts and want to be paid accordingly.

Just now, Heymangold said:

but this is pretty much every big time player in every league. players outperform their contracts and want to be paid accordingly.

Not this early. He’s the only player from that class already complaining publicly. The only one who’s gotten paid yet was C-Mac. 

He’s an excellent asset on the field no doubt. But remember his public outburst when JD just “listened to calls” about him. It’s not a good look. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Heymangold said:

Not exactly: Players rarely threaten to hold out with two years remaining on their rookie deal. He's most likely using Zeek as a blueprint.. But RB is the only position where I think you could argue an early hold out is reasonable (I would). Jamal doesn't have much (If any) leverage just going off precedent. 

As everyone is pointing out, he's totally in the wrong. I don't think it's an indication of his desire to leave but rather a case of inflated ego - If he's already allowed his ego to convince him the Jets are in the wrong (They're not) that could be an issue... On the field, he's old-school; Off the field, he's a millennial superstar.

I love Jamal as both a player and leader, just wish he would take a tip from his idol (Jordan) on how a contact works.

6 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

Not exactly: Players rarely threaten to hold out with two years remaining on their rookie deal. He's most likely using Zeek as a blueprint.. But RB is the only position where I think you could argue an early hold out is reasonable (I would). Jamal doesn't have much (If any) leverage just going off precedent. 

You could argue he is the CMC equivalent on the defensive side of the ball and he just got extended with 2 years left on his rookie deal from the same draft class. 

12 minutes ago, Sapo28 said:

You could argue he is the CMC equivalent on the defensive side of the ball and he just got extended with 2 years left on his rookie deal from the same draft class. 

Which is why I pointed out that RBs are really the only exception - Limited time for them to capitalize on a big deal + one injury can significantly derail career earnings potential (More so than any other position). In terms of contracts/holdouts running backs fall into an entirely different discussion IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I agree with you that JD should not be in a hurry.  That Jamal is trying to cash in on a great season last year.  That Jamal will have a hard time holding out.  And with this player, JD communicating directly to him rather through agents would be smart (I would think that agents should make part of that clear with players about team's approaches).  I totally get an NFL player trying to get money ASAP since careers are very short and can be ended on one play.

With all that said, this really stinks to more than just Jamal being Jamal.  Yes he is passionate and very emotional. But someone is in his ear.  Someone or something is trying to sabotage the Adams/Jets relationship.  Don't know who or what but I don't hear this scuttlebutt on other players from his draft class.  Am I missing something?  Any of you agree with this assessment?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JetsFan15 said:

I agree with you that JD should not be in a hurry.  That Jamal is trying to cash in on a great season last year.  That Jamal will have a hard time holding out.  And with this player, JD communicating directly to him rather through agents would be smart (I would think that agents should make part of that clear with players about team's approaches).  I totally get an NFL player trying to get money ASAP since careers are very short and can be ended on one play.

With all that said, this really stinks to more than just Jamal being Jamal.  Yes he is passionate and very emotional. But someone is in his ear.  Someone or something is trying to sabotage the Adams/Jets relationship.  Don't know who or what but I don't hear this scuttlebutt on other players from his draft class.  Am I missing something?  Any of you agree with this assessment?

His agent is Kevin Conner who I don’t know much about. But he is also Dak’s agent. And seems like he’s got his hands full.

• Like 1