2020 NFL Free Agency: Rumors and Reports

jetskid007

We drafted him at #6 and he is arguably the top Safety in the league. He takes over games.  1st and player or player for player.  Mid-late first plus a 3rd doesn't do it for me unless a team we can gamble on having a top 5 pick offers.

Sit him down, tell him to tone down the negativity on social media and then pay him to tell the rest of the team and the fan base that we are going to take care of our leaders and best players.

1 hour ago, GangGreen420 said:

I want to know what kind of money he’s looking for. I think it’s more than JD thinks he’s worth and both sides know it.

My guess.. At least $18M probably closer to $20M

3 hours ago, NJC33 said:

My guess.. At least $18M probably closer to $20M

Maybe.   Eddie Jackson's cuttable backload years makes him a 14.6m apy.    

Option 1:  3 years to add to this year to make it 18m apy. 

Option 2:  Make 15m per year for 3 years starting this year by adding 12m new money to this year.

Something like that.

37 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Maybe.   Eddie Jackson's cuttable backload years makes him a 14.6m apy.    

Option 1:  3 years to add to this year to make it 18m apy. 

Option 2:  Make 15m per year for 3 years starting this year by adding 12m new money to this year.

Something like that.

Right or wrong, I don't think Adams has any intention of using Eddie Jackson as a comparison. He believes he's among the best players in the league regardless of position and has made it pretty clear he wants to be compensated as such. The fact that his agent is the same guy supposedly telling Dak he's worth 40-45 is also telling IMO.

Personally, I think $18 is fair. Hot take, I honestly believe he's the most valuable/impactful defender not named Donald. 

Edited by NJC33

3 hours ago, ekill08x said:

Paying him at this stage after all his crying just sets a terrible precedent for the rest of the young players. JD knows what hes doing. This has nothing to do with the Jets. This GM knows what he is doing. 

It's a two way street, and likely the biggest decision of his career:

1. To your point, no one player should be bigger than the organization and Douglas doesn't strike me as the type to roll over. 
  2. To the contrary, "refusing" (How it will be spun) to reward your best player isn't exactly the precedent you want to set either. 

Charles Robinson suggested Jamal was getting "Strong trade advisement" from his father... The more people that get involved.. Never a good sign. Reminds me of when Revis was taking advice from his uncle during his holdout. Some transparency on situation would be nice, but not holding my breath.

10 hours ago, xenajets said:

I was having this debate with some family members last night (through WhatsApp no face to face!) 

After watching ‘the last dance’ and seeing the way these superstars act it makes you wonder if selfishness is a part of their character or a result of the environment. Look how MJ was paid compared to Pippen. MJ was ‘selfish’ and ‘ruthless’ with his negotiations.

We see players dealt/cut like pieces of meat every single offseason and throughout the year. This is done from the high levels of professional sports right on down to grass roots sports. It seems like teams can do it but the second players pipe up then they are selfish and have bad attitudes. 

Im on the fence with it. Yes it annoys me as a fan but iv seen the other side of it too. Iv seen teams take 6 year olds, put them through 12 years of training, take them out of school put huge financial pressures on their parents to then cut them loose with nothing more than a thank you. 

Jordan was underpaid until his final 2 years. Pippen chose to sign for long term stability even at the owners advance against doing so. 

Adams knows his worth but under the circumstances it would be a bad idea to pay him early. There’s just too many variables involved with the uncertainty of the cap next year and the need to add another pieces or two while he and Sam are still on team friendly cap hits. 

Adams is extremely selfish though, he speaks out far too often about himself, not the team. He’s the only one reportedly not taking part in virtual meetings. For a guy who wants to win and go to the playoffs and be a champion, those actions aren’t conducive to those goals.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

1. To your point, no one player should be bigger than the organization and Douglas doesn't strike me as the type to roll over. 
  2. To the contrary, "refusing" (How it will be spun) to reward your best player isn't exactly the precedent you want to set either. 

Charles Robinson suggested Jamal was getting "Strong trade advisement" from his father... The more people that get involved.. Never a good sign. Reminds me of when Revis was taking advice from his uncle during his holdout. Some transparency on situation would be nice, but not holding my breath.

Revis only held out when his guaranteed money was gone. Hell he took 6/96 with 0 guarantees from Tampa Bay. 

We picked up Adams option so he still has guaranteed money coming to him. Just for someone who’s focused on the team winning, him trying to come to the table now? That’s insane. 

2 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Revis only held out when his guaranteed money was gone. Hell he took 6/96 with 0 guarantees from Tampa Bay. 

We picked up Adams option so he still has guaranteed money coming to him. Just for someone who’s focused on the team winning, him trying to come to the table now? That’s insane. 

I only used Revis' situation with his uncle to suggest this might end poorly. 

Not comparing anything else.. Revis was a better player & certainly more deserving contractually speaking. Again, think Jamal is completely in the wrong here.

1 hour ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Jordan was underpaid until his final 2 years. Pippen chose to sign for long term stability even at the owners advance against doing so. 

Adams knows his worth but under the circumstances it would be a bad idea to pay him early. There’s just too many variables involved with the uncertainty of the cap next year and the need to add another pieces or two while he and Sam are still on team friendly cap hits. 

Adams is extremely selfish though, he speaks out far too often about himself, not the team. He’s the only one reportedly not taking part in virtual meetings. For a guy who wants to win and go to the playoffs and be a champion, those actions aren’t conducive to those goals.

Agree 100%.  He has two years left on his deal. We picked up his 5th year option. JD has called him a foundation player. Said he wants him to be a Jet for life.  Jamal has to understand the business side and that with COVID there is a time of uncertainty.  

I understand him wanting his money BUT he is not the only great player heading into year four without an extension in the history of the NFL.  

4 hours ago, NJC33 said:

We arent refusing to pay him though. Teams have 4 years to take advantage of rookie deals. There is really nothing Jamal can do but ask for a trade which will make him look bad.