2020 NFL Free Agency: Rumors and Reports

jetskid007

Wasn't sure where to share this...In 8 career games in which Sam was pressured at or less than the league average (34%):

• 7-1
  • 156/229 (68%)
  • 2,039 yards (8.9 YPA, 259 per game)
  • 16 TD to 6 INTs
  • 108.3 Passer rating

Why it was so imperative to rebuild the OL at all cost.. (Credit to Jets X-Factor)

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Heymangold said:

i think Jerry does want Adams bad.  his tactic is to leak info so the guys value drops and then swoop in and make a move.  

https://thejetpress.com/2019/12/05/new-york-jets-boomer-esiason-accuses-jerry-jones-tampering/

From reports he never came close to trading what Adams is clearly worth. He valued Martin, Smith and his picks more than Adams. Sure he’ll take him but not by any means. He wants to steal him. 

2 hours ago, NJC33 said:

Wasn't sure where to share this...In 8 career games in which Sam was pressured at or less than the league average (34%):

• 7-1
  • 156/229 (68%)
  • 16 TD to 6 INTs
  • 108.3 Passer rating

Why it was so imperative to rebuild the OL at all cost.. (Credit to Jets X-Factor)

I made a chart on the blitz percentages of our opponents this season. I’ll post it when I get to my computer. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NJC33 said:

• 7-1
  • 156/229 (68%)
  • 16 TD to 6 INTs
  • 108.3 Passer rating

Jets X puts some good stuff out there.

This is why you have to be excited if you are a Jets fan. The stats show, when Darnold is giving time, he’s a very good QB even with the poor receivers we’ve had.

An improved OL and getting Herndon back...watch out. I think we have a better pair of outside WRs this year but it’s close.

Im honestly as bullish on Sam this as anyone. I’d say what I think, but I’ll be called a green eyed homer. Can’t wait.

• Like 1

We all knew protecting him was a priority and it was great to see JD actually do something about it.

But now there’s now excuses. And that’s the 1st time this kid will have pressure to succeed in the NFL. Let’s see how he responds 

• Like 1

I like that JD addresses the line. I only hope they can come together as a unit ASAP because, IMO, when talking about good OL play, it has to be as a unit. One weak spot can make a big difference. I look back at our 2011 team where we had 3 all pros (Mangold, Brick and Moore) a decent LG in Slauson but a revolving door in Hunter. Sanchez was sacked 39 time, 5th highest.  OL deficiencies can be overcome with a team that runs the ball because they can better utilize the strengths of their line, but a team relying on the pass for 55-60% of their offense are at the mercy of their weakest link. Last year we passed about 58% of the time. If we maintain that pace and the OL has a weak link, Sam will still be running for his life. 

1 hour ago, Rich51 said:

I like that JD addresses the line. I only hope they can come together as a unit ASAP because, IMO, when talking about good OL play, it has to be as a unit. One weak spot can make a big difference. I look back at our 2011 team where we had 3 all pros (Mangold, Brick and Moore) a decent LG in Slauson but a revolving door in Hunter. Sanchez was sacked 39 time, 5th highest.  OL deficiencies can be overcome with a team that runs the ball because they can better utilize the strengths of their line, but a team relying on the pass for 55-60% of their offense are at the mercy of their weakest link. Last year we passed about 58% of the time. If we maintain that pace and the OL has a weak link, Sam will still be running for his life. 

I agree. I actually think we will see the OL struggle early. With what will be an odd offseason... it wont click right away for them. We have 4 new starters out there. As you stated the run game can only help. But most of our OL are better pass blockers than they are run blockers. Doesn't mean they cant get the job done running the ball. It's just not their big strength. It will take time for them to gel.

To go a step further it will be an uphill battle with the weapons and Sam as well. Timing and being on the same page are big for a QB and his weapons. We have 3 out of or 4 WRs as new guys as well as Herndon coming back after missing a whole season. Their will be a learning curve for these guys and Sam. I'd expect to see a lot of Crowder, Bell and Griffin early on bc they have a recent history with Darnold.

I've stated several times that I expect the teams that had success last season with the least amount of moving parts to have a good season this next season.

The Jets changed a lot and in a positive way. But I think the earluy part of the 2020 season might be rough. I hope I'm wrong.

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I agree. I actually think we will see the OL struggle early. With what will be an odd offseason... it wont click right away for them. We have 4 new starters out there. As you stated the run game can only help. But most of our OL are better pass blockers than they are run blockers. Doesn't mean they cant get the job done running the ball. It's just not their big strength. It will take time for them to gel.

To go a step further it will be an uphill battle with the weapons and Sam as well. Timing and being on the same page are big for a QB and his weapons. We have 3 out of or 4 WRs as new guys as well as Herndon coming back after missing a whole season. Their will be a learning curve for these guys and Sam. I'd expect to see a lot of Crowder, Bell and Griffin early on bc they have a recent history with Darnold.

I've stated several times that I expect the teams that had success last season with the least amount of moving parts to have a good season this next season.

The Jets changed a lot and in a positive way. But I think the earluy part of the 2020 season might be rough. I hope I'm wrong.

When/what would be our offseason schedule in terms of dates etc. 

Rookie minicamp

OTA’s

Training Camp

Here in the UK we will have our PL back up and running again in three weeks so I can’t see the new players having as big of a problem than what was thought a few weeks back. 

3 hours ago, xenajets said:

When/what would be our offseason schedule in terms of dates etc. 

Rookie minicamp

OTA’s

Training Camp

Here in the UK we will have our PL back up and running again in three weeks so I can’t see the new players having as big of a problem than what was thought a few weeks back. 

they're allowing the facilities to re-open soon - this weekend i believe.  they're still restricting the amount of people allowed in gatherings - i believe here in NJ it's 25.  so if we continue this progress maybe by august TC will be full go.

• Like 2

Since teams are now allowed in the facilities, the coronavirus shouldn’t have much of an effect. Training camp starts in July. So there shouldn’t be any difference in the training camp.

The offseason workout program is held mostly in May and June.

Phase 1 is just working out and rehab.

Phase 2: includes individual instruction

Phase 3: this is when OTAs takes place and the OL can start to build chemistry. No live contact is permitted but you can do 7-7 drills. This phase can be 10 days max.

Last year mandatory minicamps took place in June. So we should be cleared for those as well.

I don’t think we are in phase 3 of the offseason. But I haven’t heard any news on it. That’s really the start of it for the team. Individual instruction and workouts can be discussed through video conference.

Edited by SDotNova

56 minutes ago, Heymangold said:

they're allowing the facilities to re-open soon - this weekend i believe.  they're still restricting the amount of people allowed in gatherings - i believe here in NJ it's 25.  so if we continue this progress maybe by august TC will be full go.

Which is true. But we all know... 1 case on a team and it will all be re-evaluated. 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Which is true. But we all know... 1 case on a team and it will all be re-evaluated. 

Hmm...my guess it would be a team with a coach whose last name sounds like Belichick.

5 hours ago, xrade said:

Hmm...my guess it would be a team with a coach whose last name sounds like Belichick.

It certainly seems like an interesting coincidence that the one season in the last 20 years where it looks like the Patriots have no chance, is also the one season that might not even take place...

On 5/28/2020 at 8:30 PM, Bobby816 said:

We all knew protecting him was a priority and it was great to see JD actually do something about it.

But now there’s now excuses. And that’s the 1st time this kid will have pressure to succeed in the NFL. Let’s see how he responds 

No excuses?  Maybe.

I mean his OL and weapons are both pretty clearly bottom half of the NFL still.  

He's not in a Dak or even a Josh Allen situation.  Those are the guys with no excuses.