2020 NFL Free Agency: Rumors and Reports

jetskid007

2 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

No excuses?  Maybe.

I mean his OL and weapons are both pretty clearly bottom half of the NFL still.  

He's not in a Dak or even a Josh Allen situation.  Those are the guys with no excuses. 

I agree with both you and Bobby, Darnold will be under pressure this year, but you are right our offensive is still a big question mark.

i'm on the side that the jets still don't have great players around sam.  the OL, while much improved (which speaks to how bad it was last year), didn't really bring in high end guys.  Becton has the potential to be great - still has to get there.  GVR, Alex Lewis, George Fant - to be completely honest are JAGs.  At the skill position - Mims could end up being great - still has to get there.  Perriman is basically a wash with Robby gone.  I obviously want Sam to be great but i still have my doubts on it, just because i'm not sold on his supporting cast AND the poor coaching he has.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Heymangold said:

i'm on the side that the jets still don't have great players around sam.  the OL, while much improved (which speaks to how bad it was last year), didn't really bring in high end guys.  Becton has the potential to be great - still has to get there.  GVR, Alex Lewis, George Fant - to be completely honest are JAGs.  At the skill position - Mims could end up being great - still has to get there.  Perriman is basically a wash with Robby gone.  I obviously want Sam to be great but i still have my doubts on it, just because i'm not sold on his supporting cast AND the poor coaching he has.

Completely agree, there was no way this putrid offense could be fixed in one off season.  That said, I do expect Sam and the offense to be a little more productive.  Show us some positive movement forward, that's all I ask.  It will not be a major leap forward but I do expect some progress.

3 hours ago, Heymangold said:

Yeah compare him to Mayfield who had added the top OT in both FA and the draft according to most experts plus two world class receivers, two top tight ends and one of the top 3 tandem RB’s in football. 

Compared to that Sam is still pissing in the wind. 

• Like 2

Well Rome wasn’t built overnight. So I didn’t expect us to get 4-5 new OLineman and 2-3 new good WRs in 1 offseason.

JD did a damn good job imo. I think his focus will remain similar next offseason as to what this years was.

I hope this bold prediction made on NFL.com come true.

3) Jets QB Sam Darnold will become a star

I still love Darnold. His rookie year was a classic roller-coaster ride, not at all helped by the dreadful offensive coordinating of Jeremy Bates, who was fired -- along with head coach Todd Bowles -- after the season. General manager Mike Maccagnan kept his job through 2019 free agency and the draft -- and then got canned. Because only the Jets. Adam Gase was brought in to maximize New York's second-year quarterback ... and Darnold got mono. But don't let all of this misfortune color your view of the No. 3 pick of the 2018 draft. He still has plenty of promise, especially with competent leadership now in the front office.

GM Joe Douglas has shown plenty of promise in a short time on the job, with a calculating, savvy approach. He brilliantly beefed up the offensive line this offseason, adding a whole bunch of big bodies in free agency, then spending the Jets' first-round pick on OT Mekhi Becton. This is how you properly protect a young quarterback, by OVERindulging on O-linemen. Now, Darnold's receiving corps is full of question marks -- which is why this prediction is bold in the first place -- but Douglas did add the explosive Denzel Mims in Round 2 of the draft.

Down the stretch last season, after Darnold was recovered from mono, the young QB excelled. From Week 9 through 17, he averaged 245.2 passing yards per game and compiled a 14:5 TD-to-INT ratio, leading the Jets to a 6-3 record. Darnold has every intangible and tangible you want in a true franchise quarterback. And in 2020, it all comes together over the course of a full season.

• Like 4

We did make a move we signed Bryce Hall. I think this is our first rookie we signed so far. I know a lot of people like him but we better play a lot of zone with him because if you get a good route runner or speed guy he will get burned. 

8 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

We did make a move we signed Bryce Hall. I think this is our first rookie we signed so far. I know a lot of people like him but we better play a lot of zone with him because if you get a good route runner or speed guy he will get burned. 

GW plays single high press man at his core but last year we just didn't have the personnel to do so. Hall is scheme diverse and young but he's got good to great technique. He'll be fine.

8 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

GW plays single high press man at his core but last year we just didn't have the personnel to do so. Hall is scheme diverse and young but he's got good to great technique. He'll be fine.

I agree. He was PFF’s highest rated CB going into the 2019 season. If he has potential I feel GW will play him to his strengths.

Bryce Hall's skill set is best suit at slot corner.   He will be tried at outside to see if he clicks right there.    Lamar Jackson may have a better chance to stick at outside than Hall despite of being buried deep on the chart.

On 6/1/2020 at 9:37 AM, Abe56 said:

So today Trumaine Johnson is officially off the roster and the Jets gain 11 million in cap space.

Maybe a move happens now for Clowney, Ryan, or Warford etc

Problem is that Joe Douglas has yet to give a player double digit a year in a contract.    All are less than 9m so far I can remember.

Edit:  11m saving should allow Jets to wrap up the draft class.  After that, we can try (lol) to sign one of hot commodities.

Edited by JetsandI