2020 NFL Free Agency: Rumors and Reports

jetskid007

54 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Q would have been good staying at DE, not moving to LB. Either way the mistake was drafting SO MANY DL, especially when we were hitting with guys like DeVito, Snacks and Pouha.

The odd thing is we’ve had like 4 GMs in this time and every one of them did the same thing. It was clear they went the BPA route. Which I’m against. Draft BPA for your needs that aren’t a reach.

It's not a rumors and reports thread if we don't touch on Brady. Over the past 6 months I've convinced myself that he's going to the Titans, then Dolphins, Chargers, Raiders, then back to the Titans... but we are now one week out, and my gut says he's going to the Chargers and I'm sticking to that. So many things point to that direction... 

• Los Angeles. We all know Brady is from California, and the Brady family conceivably would like to pick where their next primary residence will be for the foreseeable future. His kids are all nearing high school age, and I don't think the Brady family isn't going to want to be moving around throughout those years. Maybe they stay in New England, where they've been for the past 10+ years, but if they do leave LA makes the most sense for family reasons and for professional reasons after football. He just opened a production company, he has the TB12 brand, and there's no better place for his marketing opportunities to explode in NY or LA. 
  • Chargers transactions. I don't think Brady has any involvement in what the Chargers are doing right now, but I think they're sending a message with the Trai Turner trade (first player-for-player trade in the Telesco era) and the quick agreement with Austin Ekeler. They're pretty much guaranteed a top 2 tackle in the draft if they opt to go that direction, and with them moving on from Travis Benjamin they have an open spot for Antonio Brown if that's truly what Brady desires... 
  • New stadium. This one is self explanatory. They need to sell tickets, and right now they're considered the little brother to the Rams. The Spanos family has never been one to spend, but they're facing a serious issue if they can't sell tickets in that new stadium. Adding Brady is the one thing that can truly solve that issue prior to even stepping foot on the field. 
  • Brady vs. New England... in LA. They will play each other this year in the new stadium, and I think it would become the most televised regular season game ever. It might even become one of the most televised events ever. 

I'm sure there are more factors I can come up with, and some that exist in favor of other organizations that could appeal to Brady one way or another for each team (i.e. familiarity with Titans staff/talented roster), but if there's one thing that seems clear to me is that Brady is committed to making a business decision. As much as Brady would deny it, this is about just winning anymore - it's about satisfying Brady's (healthy) ego. He wants to put himself in a position to feel that he's addressed every chip - and the last ones remaining are to get the star QB treatment and paid accordingly - having a say in personnel, in how the offense runs, and winning without Belichick. It's an unpopular opinion, but I want him to return to the Pats. I want to beat the Pats at their perceived best... I want to see Darnold beat Brady. But when it's all said and done I do think he's going to the Chargers.

12 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

It's not a rumors and reports thread if we don't touch on Brady. Over the past 6 months I've convinced myself that he's going to the Titans, then Dolphins, Chargers, Raiders, then back to the Titans... but we are now one week out, and my gut says he's going to the Chargers and I'm sticking to that. So many things point to that direction... 

• Los Angeles. We all know Brady is from California, and the Brady family conceivably would like to pick where their next primary residence will be for the foreseeable future. His kids are all nearing high school age, and I don't think the Brady family isn't going to want to be moving around throughout those years. Maybe they stay in New England, where they've been for the past 10+ years, but if they do leave LA makes the most sense for family reasons and for professional reasons after football. He just opened a production company, he has the TB12 brand, and there's no better place for his marketing opportunities to explode in NY or LA. 
  • Chargers transactions. I don't think Brady has any involvement in what the Chargers are doing right now, but I think they're sending a message with the Trai Turner trade (first player-for-player trade in the Telesco era) and the quick agreement with Austin Ekeler. They're pretty much guaranteed a top 2 tackle in the draft if they opt to go that direction, and with them moving on from Travis Benjamin they have an open spot for Antonio Brown if that's truly what Brady desires... 
  • New stadium. This one is self explanatory. They need to sell tickets, and right now they're considered the little brother to the Rams. The Spanos family has never been one to spend, but they're facing a serious issue if they can't sell tickets in that new stadium. Adding Brady is the one thing that can truly solve that issue prior to even stepping foot on the field. 
  • Brady vs. New England... in LA. They will play each other this year in the new stadium, and I think it would become the most televised regular season game ever. It might even become one of the most televised events ever. 

I'm sure there are more factors I can come up with, and some that exist in favor of other organizations that could appeal to Brady one way or another for each team (i.e. familiarity with Titans staff/talented roster), but if there's one thing that seems clear to me is that Brady is committed to making a business decision. As much as Brady would deny it, this is about just winning anymore - it's about satisfying Brady's (healthy) ego. He wants to put himself in a position to feel that he's addressed every chip - and the last ones remaining are to get the star QB treatment and paid accordingly - having a say in personnel, in how the offense runs, and winning without Belichick. It's an unpopular opinion, but I want him to return to the Pats. I want to beat the Pats at their perceived best... I want to see Darnold beat Brady. But when it's all said and done I do think he's going to the Chargers.

I agree. I’ve thought this for awhile bc if their weapons for him in Allen, Williams and Eckler and obviously being in LA. Biggest negative to it is battling KC for the division.

Now how this affects us is that if he leaves the division is wide open. We might have the best QB then in the division. And if else do our offseason right, might have the best team as well. Next week will be fun.

Just now, JetsandI said:

After 2020, Chargers will have Joey Bosa and Mike Williams to deeply ponder about fat contracts.

Yes, but Bosa is going no where and if anything, I would think Mike Williams is the guy that would hit the open market if they signed Brady. Brady is probably only looking at 2-3 more years realistically, so it may be moot (Williams still has this year and next year under the player option). 

Keep in mind that the Chargers are projected to be a whopping $160 million under the cap in 2021 - and that's assuming the cap were to rise to $205 million. If they do approve the new CBA, it could rise to $240 by next year. 

13 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I agree. I’ve thought this for awhile bc if their weapons for him in Allen, Williams and Eckler and obviously being in LA. Biggest negative to it is battling KC for the division.

Now how this affects us is that if he leaves the division is wide open. We might have the best QB then in the division. And if else do our offseason right, might have the best team as well. Next week will be fun.

The Chiefs and lack of familiarity with the coaching staff are the two glaring negatives for their pursuit, but get this: of the last 10 teams that made the Super Bowl prior to this past one, only the Patriots (all 5 years) and Seahawks (2015 season) have made the playoffs the following year. I'm not saying that means the Chiefs are going to struggle this year, but this game is very much year-to-year unless you're the Pats. Best bet is to evaluate your own situation rather than your opponents... control what you can control and the rest will follow suit. It definitely has to be something Brady considers though, but like LeBron when people questioned going to the West in favor of staying in the cupcake east, these guys want to play the best of the best (as long as they have help of course)... the fans, media, and broadcasts would eat up a Brady vs. Mahomes rivalry for the next 2 years

13 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Working on my free agency predictions for like the top 25 guys. Post who you think is going where if you want in here.

I won't do a top 25 right now but a few of mine (apologies for lack of position diversity; my focus/research has been limited to positions players the Jets are in the market for) 

• QB Tom Brady: Los Angeles Chargers 
  • RT Jack Conklin: Arizona Cardinals 
  • LT Trent Williams: New York Jets (trade) - 4 years, $72.5 million 
  • LG Joe Thuney: New York Jets/Cincinatti Bengals - 5 years, $75 million
  • G/C Graham Glasgow: New York Jets - 4 years, $50 million 
  • OL Andrus Peat: Los Angeles Chargers 
  • RT Hala Vaitai: Cleveland Browns
  • CB Byron Jones: Philadelphia Eagles 
  • CB James Bradberry: Washington Redskins  

My Jets predictions are a lot, I know, but I think we're going to see Joe Douglas go wild on offensive lineman. If Thuney isn't Jets, it's Cincinnati and Jets go grab Connor McGovern or someone of his ilk. I think the Jets want to add 3 veteran starters, potentially one in the draft, and have Winters/Edoga/etc compete for a final spot. Long-term I think they would like Thuney at LG, Glasgow at RG... Crazy stat: Jets currently have the least amount of money invested in OL. I think they have the highest paid OL in football 10 days from now. If anything, maybe they'll pivot off of Thuney if they trade for Trent or vice-a-versa, but I do think we'll be shocked to see the investment made into the OL, while other positions fall by the wayside. 

As far as others: very confident on Conklin to Arizona. My cousin sounds very confident on that one. I think Cleveland targets lower-tiered free agent OL, more in-line with what the Bills did last year while shifting their focus to the draft.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

I will keep beating this into the ground but Alex Lewis will be a starter on our OL. He has too many fans in the organization. 

I think the Jets want him back for sure, and he's absolutely a contingency plan, but if they can land Thuney and Glasgow I can assure you they will not be handing Lewis a job

47 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I think the Jets want him back for sure, and he's absolutely a contingency plan, but if they can land Thuney and Glasgow I can assure you they will not be handing Lewis a job

Why not? That’s your interior Line right there. 

Lewis is probably the only starter they’re confident about at this point. 

1 hour ago, KingOfTheDot said:

I will keep beating this into the ground but Alex Lewis will be a starter on our OL. He has too many fans in the organization. 

I don’t think he will be handed a starting job though. I see us signing 2 of Thuney, Glasgow, McGovern. 

20 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

They shouldn't be Lewis played s few solid games when he took over them fell off a cliff.   It's a failure if he is starting this year.   Im fine with him brought back as depth

20 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

I think it really comes down to being realistic. They want to re-sign Lewis but at their price. I don't think that means they are committed to starting him. Lewis wants a starting job and should have a solid market. If the Jets don't come out of free agency with 3 big additions, then I think you'll see the Jets be more aggressive and possibly add another year to his deal (think 3 years, $15 million... something like Spencer Long's contract with Buffalo but a little more to capture cap fluctuations) to ensure he comes back, and at that point you'd see him compete to be a starter or a top backup. If they do strike and agree with guys really quickly, I think Lewis will test the market knowing that he may not be guaranteed playing time with the Jets new-look line. The second part of it is that the Jets and Winters are probably going to get a restructured contract done. I'm guessing it will entail a lower base salary but higher guarantees (think maybe a 1 year, $4 million fully guaranteed or partially guaranteed for injury). Now I understand some may say Lewis is a better option and I wouldn't disagree, but keep in mind that no offensive line is perfect. If they address 4 out of 5 spots via free agency/draft and you have guys already under contract competing for the 5th spot, you're in pretty good shape. 

I think Glasgow and Williams are coming baring anything unforeseen. The rest will fall into place when Joe Thuney makes his decision. If he doesn't sign here, they may opt the cheaper alternative and sign Lewis + draft projectable centers and let it all play out in training camp. 

Put it this way: if Joe Douglas honestly told you how he would realistically want this line to look next year, here's what I think he would say: 

• LT Trent Williams (starter) 
  • LG Joe Thuney (starter) 
  • C/G Graham Glasgow (starter) 
  • T/G Tristan Wirfs (starter) 
  • RG Brian Winters 
  • G/T Alex Lewis
  • T/G Chuma Edoga 
  • C/G Jonotthan Harrison 
  • C Matt Hennessy 

Harrison would likely be the one on the outs unless the Jets decided to carry 9 guys. 

• Like 1