2020 NFL Free Agency: Rumors and Reports

jetskid007

3 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Trent Williams is 31 years old and seeks for new contract.

Darius Slay is 29 years old and seeks for new contract.

Don't give any good pick for either one.

Agreed. We just gotta be patient and build this roster thru the draft. If we’re gonna trade for players they gotta be young imo.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, DowNY said:

He’s 29. He’s not good enough for Avery swap and 4th rd pick at least? Or a 5th?

Slay-Bless-Poole with Jamal & Maye, nah?

Just to add some perspective the only 2 corners we had last year who had worse pff grades than slay last year were Hairston by 1 point and Tru by 3 points. 

Everyone else had slay beat by double digits.   And he's not cheap. 

4 minutes ago, mattmanz91 said:

I think we are waiting on Robby's decision before we do anything else. 

In that case come on home Robby.   Let's make a deal.

Though we should still have plenty of cap space this year,  with other people left to cut.   

7 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

Just to add some perspective the only 2 corners we had last year who had worse pff grades than slay last year were Hairston by 1 point and Tru by 3 points. 

Can’t lie.

I could careless about PFF.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mattmanz91 said:

I think we are waiting on Robby's decision before we do anything else. 

At least on the WR front yes. The whole NFL world is lol.

I would imagine that if we’re in on Clowney, we’ve submitted our offer (as well as anyone else). He’s gotta decide what he wants to do. Was seeking $20+ million per, now weighing whether to take the best offer or pivot to a one year deal with a no-franchise tag provision to reassess next year 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DowNY said:

Can’t lie.

I could careless about PFF.

Ok cool,  in that case im sorry I didn't watch all of his games last year.   PFF isn't gospel like some people treat it but it'd be hard for them to get it THAT wrong.   I do know everyone viewed him as far less effective last year.   Any other memories of 29 year old CBs falling off a cliff lately?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

At least on the WR front yes. The whole NFL world is lol.

I would imagine that if we’re in on Clowney, we’ve submitted our offer (as well as anyone else). He’s gotta decide what he wants to do. Was seeking $20+ million per, now weighing whether to take the best offer or pivot to a one year deal with a no-franchise tag provision to reassess next year 

If Seattle has around 18m on the table I can't imagine we are offering more unless it's a 1 year 18-20m deal which I wouldn't mind. However I'd still rather swap firsts with Jax for Yannick and sign him to a 5 year 100m contract. As you've said players like him are almost never available. 

Edited by mattmanz91

16 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

Just to add some perspectives, Slay’s play really diminished after they traded away Diggs. He wanted out to begin with, and that was the straw that broke the camel’s back. Change of scenery is desperately needed

4 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

Joe Douglass better be able to draft well.  Our team will be slightly worse than last season. 

We will finish 4-13

We are terrible at wr, ol,  edge,  and cb still 

I don’t see this at all. Team was ravaged by injuries last season. Another year of progression by Darnold. A severely diminished Pats team. Improved Bills/Dolphins teams but not to the point where they’re “scary”... Gregg Williams probably facing a lot of young QBs next year (LAC, MIAx2). 

Certainly tough opponents but no one that makes me say “they’re unbeatable”. The team will go as far as Sam will go. 

FA is far from done but my biggest complaint is not going after an edge more aggressively. My opinion, colossal failure. Had an opportunity to significantly improve an overachieving defense. Have no big contract allocated to the DL, so could’ve fit one in there. Imo, you can always find corners, and we have elite safeties to help out... an edge presence could really improve the unit. When you factor in that it’s the weakest EDGE class in quite some time, I think they dropped the ball. If they add someone I’ll take it back, but don’t know if they will.

• Like 4

^ While I'm inclined to agree with this, I'm not sold enough on any of the options to consider a failure to address it a colossal failure. I don't like Beasley or Fowler at all. Clowney I like, but his price tag is very high and I'm perfectly happy for us to just say "too much". I'm also afraid that a long term deal makes him disappear.

Yannick Ngakoue... totally on board with him. But our picks are so valuable. I'm completely against trading future firsts. Our first this year we need for an OL.

If they'd take our second rounder this year, and we go:

1. OL

3a. WR

3b. WR/OL

I'd be happy. But I think it'd cost significantly more than that. I'm not sure how high I'd be willing to go as far as compensation.

• Like 1

According to OTC, Alex Lewis will have a $7.7M cap hit in 2021 (year 2 of the deal) with a $3M dead cap hit if he’s released. I was fine with re-signing him but I don’t love the structure of the deal. Why back load the deal with a decent amount of guaranteed money in year 2 when the Jets don’t plan to spend up to the cap this offseason.