2020 NFL Free Agency: Rumors and Reports

jetskid007

13 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

Joe Douglass better be able to draft well.  Our team will be slightly worse than last season. 

We will finish 4-13

We are terrible at wr, ol,  edge,  and cb still 

It's far too early for this type of pessimism.

You've praised the Bills front office in the past for how they handled last offseason and yet you're so quick to call ours a failure? What did the Bills do? Sign middling to above average offensive linemen and add a couple supporting pieces - They didn't necessarily win the headlines with "splash" signings. A lot of time and talent still for JD to improve this team in a sustainable manner and what he's setting out to do doesn't appear to be all that different from what the Bills did (Although one big move would be nice).

Just by getting healthy, it's hard to imagine a scenario where we're slightly worse. Having potentially the best quarterback in the division goes a long way... for that reason alone we should be expecting meaningful games in December.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BlaZeN37 said:

According to OTC, Alex Lewis will have a $7.7M cap hit in 2021 (year 2 of the deal) with a $3M dead cap hit if he’s released. I was fine with re-signing him but I don’t love the structure of the deal. Why back load the deal with a decent amount of guaranteed money in year 2 when the Jets don’t plan to spend up to the cap this offseason.

Much higher cap next year.   Gives us more money to play with this year.   Could be a sign we plan on making more significant moves

47 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Just to add some perspectives, Slay’s play really diminished after they traded away Diggs. He wanted out to begin with, and that was the straw that broke the camel’s back. Change of scenery is desperately needed

Are you postulating that he was disgruntled and played worse because he wasn't really trying?  Not sure I like that much better than him just sucking. 

4 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Worst kept secret in the NFL is that Yannick is going to get traded. Really comes down to who. 

The list is getting smaller with teams that have cap space and need an edge bad. Hopefully the lack of market lowers the asking price 

6 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

The list is getting smaller with teams that have cap space and need an edge bad. Hopefully the lack of market lowers the asking price 

That'd be great.   I think it could lower the trade cost but he's still gonna get paid.   He's still so young. 

7 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Man I want an edge bad. But not 20mill for Clowney bad.

That's where I'm at, definitely not in a long term deal. 

For one year? Depends on how else we could allocate the money but I'd be willing to slightly overspend - I.e not lose out over a couple million that would otherwise go to a replacement level player. If we get a fully motivated Clowney in a "prove it" contract, it'd be worth it. 

20 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Seahawks make the most sense by far, but would they be willing to bring in he and re-sign Clowney? That’s what makes me think part of all this is interconnected. Technically Jadeveon can’t accept a contract he hasn’t been offered, even if they’ve conceptually shared figures.

Might be a scenario where Yannick knows he’s getting dealt, knows how much he’ll sign for, but it’s in Jacksonville’s hands RE: negotiating compensation. Would explain a lot of his posts today as well. 

Ultimately I think he’s Seattle bound- the question then becomes what happens to Clowney

41 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

You've praised the Bills front office in the past for how they handled last offseason and yet you're so quick to call ours a failure? What did the Bills do? Sign middling to above average offensive linemen and add a couple supporting pieces - They didn't necessarily win the headlines with "splash" signings. A lot of time and talent still for JD to improve this team in a sustainable manner and what he's setting out to do doesn't appear to be all that different from what the Bills did (Although one big move would be nice).

Just by getting healthy, it's hard to imagine a scenario where we're slightly worse. Having potentially the best quarterback in the division goes a long way... for that reason alone we should be expecting meaningful games in December.

This.

1 hour ago, NJC33 said:

You've hit the nail on the head. I can't say I'm thrilled with what has gone on but by no means am I declaring a whole offseason a failure. I've learned my lesson plenty of times - teams never win in March. There's no reason to be pessimistic; we haven't lost anyone of value yet and are only going to gain reinforcements in the form of injured players and incoming draft picks. The team will be better next year; whether the record reflects that is TBD. 

With that said, the Jets need to take advantage when opportunities present themselves. Sometimes being too cost conscious hurts you. The Bills are a great example. They signed a bunch of mid-tier veterans in 2019, but they came right out of the gate and signed them even if it meant overpaying them slightly. While I think teams need to be disciplined and I hate to agree with Manish, the Jets have to recognize that unless we're perennial playoff team we're not a very attractive team for FAs and thus have to pay a "Jet tax", not because the Jets have a poor perception around the league, but because New Jersey/New York are the 3rd and 4th highest income tax among states housing football teams in the entire country. The weather isn't great, the media is a pain in the ***, and while nice, the facilities are in the middle of nowhere. Unless a player is signing with a consistent winner, they're not going to sign up for that. 

I think the Bills recognized that, and instead of going after the Tier 1 free agents, they gave competitive offers to the Tier 2 guys right off the bat. They agreed with Morse, Gore, Feliciano, Nsekhe, Kroft, Johnson, and Roberts within the 48 hour tampering window. They hit on some and others ended up just backups, but they certainly helped the team field a competitive roster at every position. 

So for me, I look at what the Jets have done and like it, but they haven't done enough. Nothing you can do about Glasgow/Conklin, they simply didn't want to come here. McGovern was a good signing at a good price and is kind of like our Morse of the offseason. In retrospect, Fant was a really good signing to me. Watching his tape and the things he's capable of, I think he's going to surprise us. He's only played 3 years in the NFL. At worst, he's a one year experiment with starting experience that provides necessary depth and competition to the position... Some say "sign Beachum for that price". Yes, Beachum was valued as a leader, but he didn't want to come back given the uncertainty of not starting, and Fant is a much better fit for what the team wants to do. We re-signed two guys to extremely reasonable contracts. OK GREAT, but what else??? 

If I were running the Jets, I would have gotten much more aggressive when it came to EDGE. I would have already signed a plan B at EDGE, whether that was Floyd, Correa, Weatherly, or Curry - get them under contract so you're not too desperate when/if you lose out on a tier one guy, and also set myself up to have my preference in picking the first domino, not wait on everyone else, even if I had to overpay a little. Like, it's sounding as if Joe Douglas recognizes that Jenkins isn't special which is fine and great, but what are you doing to replace his spot? We needed a PR with him, now you're kind of pigeonholing yourself by needing 2. Personally, I think the risk on Fowler and/or Clowney would have been worth it. Additionally, I would have already signed Phillip Dorsett to an above-market deal, sending the message to Robby and/or other FAs that we're not going to wait for him forever while also recognizing that Dorsett could be a valuable #4-5 receiver regardless who else gets signed/drafted. I would have slightly overpaid a guy like Wisniewski given that they can come in, compete, and at worst be a valuable backup instead of waiting for a guy like GVR, who you're signing to be a starter. I would've plucked one of these DL off the market considering the value/talent and how they could be had on cheap, short-term deals (I can already hear the groans). I would have identified mid-tier CBs from the jump and made sure that I left day 1 with them agreed to (i.e. Jimmy Smith, Desmond Trufant, Logan Ryan, Prince Amukamara, etc.). 

Essentially I would have been a little more aggressive within reason. I would understand that in the big picture, an additional million is not a big deal as long as you're not reckless with it and as long as you don't budge from it. Submit the offer with the 15-20% overpayment already baked into the proposal and tell the agent take it or leave it; if they even stutter move on to the next guy on the board and make an offer. 

Maybe coronavirus is effecting some of this, but I just don't fully grasp the pace right now. One of my biggest criticisms of Maccagnan was that he was too willing to sit on his hands (more specifically in the draft), but you can't be too stagnant just as you can't be too hyperactive. Need to find a balance. 

Those are my thoughts/Jets self-therapy session lol. Hoping for good news tomorrow 

• Like 5

I feel like this offseason was a reality check for us all. Everyone wanted this toy and that toy thinking we're closer than we are. JD is letting us know what he thinks of this roster.

I'm not busting balls, I thought we were right there with BUF also. I'm a little disappointed, but I also know this is the right move. 

I have faith JD won't let Sam get killed.