2020 NFL Free Agency: Rumors and Reports

jetskid007

53 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

I have always liked Cooks, but that salary is outrageous. They can take a 5 if they really need to get rid of him a 4 tops. Otherwise it’s not worth it.

As @rampantjetalluded to, we’d only be on the hook for 2020 only- 1 year, $12.5 million ($8.5 million salary, $4 million roster bonus). 

There on out his contract is year-to-year, averaging $12.83 million per season unguaranteed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ekill08x said:

I have always liked Cooks, but that salary is outrageous. They can take a 5 if they really need to get rid of him a 4 tops. Otherwise it’s not worth it.

The concussions scare me also. Correct me if I’m wrong though, but wouldn’t we just be on the hook for the base salary and roster bonuses since the Rams already paid him the signing bonus? Also His $4M roster bonus is scheduled to be paid on the 3rd day of the league year. 

Still not great because of the concussions but it looks like his contract is reasonable to the acquiring team. 

Edit: Just saw @rampantjet and @jetskid007 responses. I think we are all on the page. 

The one thing I would highlight is that his $4 million roster bonus will be paid on Friday. So his contract is effectively a 1 year $8M deal if we trade for him on Saturday.

Edited by SDotNova
  • Like 1

Just now, jetskid007 said:

Seeing what’s going on with Melvin Gordon just sheds light on how stupid the Jets were to sign Bell to that contract. I admit I didn’t think it was bad at the time, but I’m sure we were bidding against ourselves. Smh

I honestly never ever want to sign another RB ever.  Draft 1 or 2 every year.  Get 1 or 2 in UDFA and just always have fresh legs back there for cheap.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

The concussions scare me also. Correct me if I’m wrong though, but wouldn’t we just be on the hook for the base salary and roster bonuses since the Rams already paid him the signing bonus? Also His $4M roster bonus is scheduled to be paid on the 3rd day of the league year. 

Still not great because of the concussions but it looks like his contract is reasonable to the acquiring team. 

Edit: Just saw @rampantjet and @jetskid007 responses. I think we are all on the page. 

The one thing I would highlight is that his $4 million roster bonus will be paid on Friday. So his contract is effectively a 1 year $8M deal if we trade for him on Saturday.

That is correct.   Rams need to trade him ASAP to suffer only 1m more on salary cap for him only.

• Like 1

Ben Allbright has labelled the Jets, Packers, and Seahawks as the teams to watch for a Yannick Ngakoue trade, not the Eagles- despite his social media activity. 

Tony Pauline outlined what a possible trade could look like with the Seahawks, saying they could swap their 1st for JAX 2nd and send their 2nd. For those who adhere to the value chart, that would be a 510 point transaction. 

Using the same logic, the Jets could swap their 1st with JAX's (400) and maybe get away with sending a 2021 3rd instead of a pick this year. Besides, I would think future picks are more valuable to them if they really are tanking. 

+ Get an elite young pass rusher without giving up a 2020 draft pick 

- diminished chances of landing a starting T in round 1, although one should be available at 20

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Ben Allbright has labelled the Jets, Packers, and Seahawks as the teams to watch for a Yannick Ngakoue trade, not the Eagles- despite his social media activity. 

Tony Pauline outlined what a possible trade could look like with the Seahawks, saying they could swap their 1st for JAX 2nd and send their 2nd. For those who adhere to the value chart, that would be a 510 point transaction. 

Using the same logic, the Jets could swap their 1st with JAX's (400) and maybe get away with sending a 2021 3rd instead of a pick this year. Besides, I would think future picks are more valuable to them if they really are tanking. 

+ Get an elite young pass rusher without giving up a 2020 draft pick 

- diminished chances of landing a starting T in round 1, although one should be available at 20

I'd swap 1sts.  That 400 point difference is roughly equivalent to a mid 2nd rounder.  I'd do that in a heartbeat.  A super young Edge is something we haven't had in over a decade.  I honestly think we could still get a quality OT in this class at 20.  Jackson, Jones,  Thomas (with the way his stock is going), Niang, Prince Tega maybe a bit later.  

6 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

I'd swap 1sts.  That 400 point difference is roughly equivalent to a mid 2nd rounder.  I'd do that in a heartbeat.  A super young Edge is something we haven't had in over a decade.  I honestly think we could still get a quality OT in this class at 20.  Jackson, Jones,  Thomas (with the way his stock is going), Niang, Prince Tega maybe a bit later.  

One thing the Jets could do is trade back up for a T as well. Baltimore had a history of trading down/trading back up as did the Eagles. Last year the jumped up from 25 to 22 in order to select Dillard, who the Texans were going to draft a pick later.

Not a fan of that Cooks contract.  Too much back deferred dead money but if it's like a 6th or something I guess it would be worth keeping on the back burner.  Rather just bring back Robby though.  Really need to get a competent CB and pass rusher still before the draft.  Easily the two most glaring needs by far.

If JD can find a way to bring back Robby, add Kline at RG, and add a vet CB and pass rusher like Amukamara and Curry you got to be pretty happy with FA.