2020 NFL Free Agency: Rumors and Reports

jetskid007

1 minute ago, rampantjet said:

Andy Reid made Matt Moore look great too.  Moore is a top notch back up,  and he was less effective than Mahomes,  but is QB rating was 5 points lower than Mahomes.  

This is it. Andy Reid is a great coach. If someone were to say, "since we don't have a great coach, we need to add top-notch playmakers to account for the deficiency" I'd probably be empathetic with that stance - even if I didn't agree with it. 

Again, this is the deepest wide receiver class ever. You don't have to draft a WR in round 1 in order to satisfy the need in this draft, let alone ever, to be successful. In fact, 14 teams currently don't have any former 1st round WRs on their roster. There are only NINE teams with a home-grown former 1st round pick still on there roster.

*SCREAMS* IT IS NOT THAT IMPORTANT OF A POSITION *END SCREAM*

Conversely, we're the only team in the league without an OL who was drafted in the 1st and 2nd round on our line. Adding Fant, McGovern, and GVR is a nice step to building the most important position group in football outside of the quarterback position. Two of those guys were told they will be competing for a job. Let that sink in. I'm always in favor of BPA, and the Jets are likely to be in a scenario to potentially make the perfect decision: (1) draft the BPA; (2) fill a need; (3) at a building block position.

Yet- half of the typical neurotic Jets fanbase looking for a "playmaker" 

3unbaq.jpg

5 minutes ago, Bianconero said:

I don't think this really says anything though. Also, FWIW I don't have a side in this discussion as I'm for either WR or OT in the first, but...

The Chiefs have absolutely HIT on mid-round picks as evidenced above by their skill-position groups, but that's rare, and that's why they're so dominant and Super Bowl Champions. Its the fact that they HIT on mid-round picks, which also serves as evidence as to why the New York Jets have been so bad for the last decade.

But hitting on mid-round picks is not the norm, especially for us. For the most part, if you want to select the best players, the best shot to do that is in the first round. Furthermore, Eric Fisher and Stefen Wisniewski are high round picks, but far from best at their respective positions, so I don't see the argument. The only argument here is that you need to hit on your mid-round picks and that clearly the skill position players far outweigh the offensive line in terms of skill when talking about the 2019-2020Kansas City Chiefs.

Exactly. Based on the logic we should be winners bc we have Darnold and spent mid round picks on Stewart, Hansen, Amaro, Herndon, Cannon, McGuire and D.Smith. Oh wait!!!

5 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

We have every right as Jets fans to not trust “getting these mid/late round star players.” We pretty much have 0 history of it. Never mind repeatedly draft after draft finding good players.

Another fallacy. This one is called Historical Fallacy. Most simply put, the fallacy occurs when a person reads into a process the results that occur only because of that process.

You have a right to not have confidence, but it's really based on emotion and not logic. The "logo" bares no weight as it relates to past results and what will happen in the future. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

This is it. Andy Reid is a great coach. If someone were to say, "since we don't have a great coach, we need to add top-notch playmakers to account for the deficiency" I'd probably be empathetic with that stance - even if I didn't agree with it. 

Again, this is the deepest wide receiver class ever. You don't have to draft a WR in round 1 in order to satisfy the need in this draft, let alone ever, to be successful. In fact, 14 teams currently don't have any former 1st round WRs on their roster. There are only NINE teams with a home-grown former 1st round pick still on there roster.

*SCREAMS* IT IS NOT THAT IMPORTANT OF A POSITION *END SCREAM*

Conversely, we're the only team in the league without an OL who was drafted in the 1st and 2nd round on our line. Adding Fant, McGovern, and GVR is a nice step to building the most important position group in football outside of the quarterback position. Two of those guys were told they will be competing for a job. Let that sink in. I'm always in favor of BPA, and the Jets are likely to be in a scenario to potentially make the perfect decision: (1) draft the BPA; (2) fill a need; (3) at a building block position.

Yet- half of the typical neurotic Jets fanbase looking for a "playmaker" 

3unbaq.jpg

Or you know - this draft has 3 of the best WR prospects in the last few years. We aren't asking for a receiver - we are asking for an ELITE receiver. Now consider going into the season with Crowder as the #1, an oft-injured Enunwa as #2, and stone-hands Perriman has #3, but yeah, OL is where we are most needy 9_9.

1 minute ago, NJerseypaint said:

Or you know - this draft has 3 of the best WR prospects in the last few years. We aren't asking for a receiver - we are asking for an ELITE receiver. Now consider going into the season with Crowder as the #1, an oft-injured Enunwa as #2, and stone-hands Perriman has #3, but yeah, OL is where we are most needy 9_9.

Better teams have done more with less lol. 

Truthfully a great QB can make mediocre WR's look like pro bowlers because of imprecible timing, ball placement, and touch.... we don't have a QB that can elevate his WR's. We need WR's that can elevate the QB. 

7 minutes ago, Bianconero said:

I don't think this really says anything though. Also, FWIW I don't have a side in this discussion as I'm for either WR or OT in the first, but...

The Chiefs have absolutely HIT on mid-round picks as evidenced above by their skill-position groups, but that's rare, and that's why they're so dominant and Super Bowl Champions. Its the fact that they HIT on mid-round picks, which also serves as evidence as to why the New York Jets have been so bad for the last decade.

But hitting on mid-round picks is not the norm, especially for us. For the most part, if you want to select the best players, the best shot to do that is in the first round. Furthermore, Eric Fisher and Stefen Wisniewski are high round picks, but far from best at their respective positions, so I don't see the argument. The only argument here is that you need to hit on your mid-round picks and that clearly the skill position players far outweigh the offensive line in terms of skill when talking about the 2019-2020Kansas City Chiefs.

Again, if this is being used to suggest that because it hasn't happened for the Jets means it is unlikely to happen in the future, despite wholesale changes to process, would be a fallacy. 

Chiefs absolutely have hit and I only used them as an example because someone decided to take what I said about being a copycat league and twist it to fit their agenda. Point being not all teams have to acquire talent via round 1 for those players to be great teams. As I pointed out in a subsequent post, there are only 9 teams in the NFL who have homegrown former 1st round picks at WR. Every single year there are teams who make it deep into the playoffs, make it to the superbowl, and even win the superbowl, without a single first round pick at the receiver position.

It's 👏🏻 an 👏🏻 overrated 👏🏻 position 👏🏻 group 👏🏻 

1 minute ago, jetskid007 said:

Again, if this is being used to suggest that because it hasn't happened for the Jets means it is unlikely to happen in the future, despite wholesale changes to process, would be a fallacy. 

Chiefs absolutely have hit and I only used them as an example because someone decided to take what I said about being a copycat league and twist it to fit their agenda. Point being not all teams have to acquire talent via round 1 for those players to be great teams. As I pointed out in a subsequent post, there are only 9 teams in the NFL who have homegrown former 1st round picks at WR. Every single year there are teams who make it deep into the playoffs, make it to the superbowl, and even win the superbowl, without a single first round pick at the receiver position.

Bet most of those teams have an elite QB and top notch HC.

4 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

3une1h.jpg

Just now, jetskid007 said:

That's not being used as the excuse - I don't have a position. I'm simply offering history and context.

IDC if the Jets draft a WR @ 11 or pass-catchers on Day 2, as long as as we select guys who will actually see a second contract with this team, doesn't matter

2 minutes ago, Bianconero said:

That's not being used as the excuse - I don't have a position. I'm simply offering history and context.

IDC if the Jets draft a WR @ 11 or pass-catchers on Day 2, as long as as we select guys who will actually see a second contract with this team, doesn't matter

I understand. I wasn't answering directly to you- just saying that from a logic and rationale perspective on the topic

Any Jets fan has the right to feel worried based on our history. I absolutely do. But I also realize that is not a logical thought- it's an emotional one. 

Edited by jetskid007
  • Like 3