2020 NFL Free Agency: Rumors and Reports

jetskid007

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Jets again being used as leverage.

Can’t use Joe D for leverage luckily. They’ll def throw our name out there but any smart front office should see how we operated in Free Agency so far and know it’s all a bluff. 

Take the 12 mil and come light up JetLife Stadium Clowney under GW. 

• Like 1

He’s received several offers apparently. I’m sure it’s mostly the money or years on why he’s declined. But it also could just not be the teams he wants to go to that’s making him offers. He’s reached a stage for me where I’d welcome him bc he’s the missing piece to our defense. We’d be a for sure top 5 D with a great edge on the roster. But he’s also being quite overrated and being that he’s the only star left he’s using it as leverage to get money.

JD doesn’t strike me as a guy to overpay Clowney. I think he’s comfortable with what we have at edge and keep drafting a guy until we get a great one. I trust him now after this draft.

• Like 1

I'd like Clowney because he'd bring more nastiness to our defense and has real potential to get 10+ sacks and pressure the QB. He also gets a lot of TFL.  Clowney usually garners attention simply because he is so big fast and violent. And I want to see Gregg Williams coach him. Hes curious, because at times he looks so dominating on the field and should be a consistent double digit sack guy. But I don't always see the dominant side, idk if its cause he was hurt or if he just doesn't care at times. But he can't sit there asking for 20+ mil a year and not dominate consistently. 

• Like 1

Clowney is overated let's be honest.  He's not a 10 sack guys he's a 7 or 8 sack guys that plays great against the run.  He's not the edge we have been missing but there is no doubt he'll be an upgrade given his run defense.  

• Like 4

It’s still baffling to me that edge is considered a premium position yet all these edges year after year aren’t signed, tagged and traded, etc.

My thoughts are it’s bc it’s a position that it’s hard to give 100% effort every down. So teams are switching more to 3-4 good edges rather than 1 stud. Bc that 1 stud rarely can give you high energy every down. This might be what Greg and JD are thinking. Don’t overpay a star. Just try and create a pipeline of 3-4 good edges. 

• Like 2

Clowney is overrated and underrated at the same time. I’ve seen some Jets fans say he’s just a rotation player. And some say he’s a top edge in the league. I’m with @Rockice_8 he’ll give you 7-8 sacks, and great run defense.

I agree @Bobby816 seems like edge is falling on the positional value hierarchy. Teams are always reluctant to pay the top guys $20+. Bears fans aren’t too happy with that Mack trade anymore. Gave up 2 first and now he counts $25M towards the cap. Hell no on that trade.

Edited by SDotNova

8 hours ago, SDotNova said:

Clowney is overrated and underrated at the same time. I’ve seen some Jets fans say he’s just a rotation player. And some say he’s a top edge in the league. I’m with @Rockice_8 he’ll give you 7-8 sacks, and great run defense.

I agree @Bobby816 seems like edge is falling on the positional value hierarchy. Teams are always reluctant to pay the top guys $20+. Bears fans aren’t too happy with that Mack trade anymore. Gave up 2 first and now he counts $25M towards the cap. Hell no on that trade.

Clowney is 100% both over and under rated. He is as many have stated a 7-10  sack guy hopefully  but is a great difference maker in the run game. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SDotNova said:

It's not just his sack count.  He is extremely disruptive. He makes offenses change direction and plays.  Would be a brilliant asset for GW for the next 2 years.  Throw in Zuniga and add Huff in passing situations and this defense could be frightening.

8 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

I called this 

4 hours ago, xenajets said:

You sure did. $3m guaranteed. Nice insurance for Dallas.  

I'm sure Belichick's master plan will come out later, and they'll win 13 games this year, and I'll look stupid. But... how in the hell did the Pats not sign Dalton?

Unless they're legitimately going for Trevor Lawrence, it just doesn't make sense to me how they've completely ignored their gaping QB hole.

• Like 1