2020 NFL Free Agency: Rumors and Reports

jetskid007

11 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

If you draft well you shouldn't get penalized down the road and lose that player. 

For all the young people out there you will NEVER see this. The NFL wanted FA BAD back in the late 80's. It all started with Reggie White. The fans where getting tired of seeing the same teams over and over again. The fans and the NFL wanted different teams making the payoffs and Super Bowls so they went with a cap and FA. This put the Cowboys, 49ers, Bills all in check. I like FA and seeing guys move around. It sucked seeing the same thing over and over again. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

For all the young people out there you will NEVER see this. The NFL wanted FA BAD back in the late 80's. It all started with Reggie White. The fans where getting tired of seeing the same teams over and over again. The fans and the NFL wanted different teams making the payoffs and Super Bowls so they went with a cap and FA. This put the Cowboys, 49ers, Bills all in check. I like FA and seeing guys move around. It sucked seeing the same thing over and over again. 

I mean I wasn't around in the 80's, but I've gotten pretty freaking tired of the Pats constantly winning.

2 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

Of course there will be FA.  Players can move on.  But we'll use Jamal and Maye as an example.  If we have cap space then Maye likely stays.  

I would love if the NFL adopted the bird rights system of the NBA

With these QB contracts, you cant keep a lot of other good players on your team.  Thats why its been shown recently your best window to win a SB is on your qb’s rookie deal, because its see ya to a lot of the other guys that helped you get there once that qb gets his second deal.

Its also the reason im so anxious for the Jets to make a move for a guy like Clowney, I want to have a chance to win now while Sam is still on that rookie contract

48 minutes ago, Abe56 said:

I would love if the NFL adopted the bird rights system of the NBA

With these QB contracts, you cant keep a lot of other good players on your team.  Thats why its been shown recently your best window to win a SB is on your qb’s rookie deal, because its see ya to a lot of the other guys that helped you get there once that qb gets his second deal.

Its also the reason im so anxious for the Jets to make a move for a guy like Clowney, I want to have a chance to win now while Sam is still on that rookie contract

I don't understand NBA but do you think Jets could follow Knicks' footsteps?

At some point, teams are going to have decide not to sign these QBs. Are the Cowboys better off with Dalton at $5M or Dak at $35M? I’m taking Dalton even at $10M. You can have Dalton and another Amari Cooper for the price of Dak.

If I’m the Cowboys GM, I would consider trading Dak. He’d probably command at least 2 1st. Probably 2 1st and a 2nd.

Edited by SDotNova

These top QBs are worth 30-35. It’s that second and third tier that is way over paid.

Jared Goff - 33.5

Tannehill - 29.5

Brissett - 28.0

Id much rather have Nick Foles at $8M since all those second and third tier QBs rely on the people around them anyways. Might as well go cheaper at QB and stack the team around them.

Edited by SDotNova

12 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

These top QBs are worth 30-35. It’s that second and third tier that is way over paid.

Jared Goff - 33.5

Tannehill - 29.5

Brissett - 28.0

Id much rather have Nick Foles at $8M since all those second and third tier QBs rely on the people around them anyways. Might as well go cheaper at QB and stack the team around them.

Agreed and then the issue is well if you don't take care of your own QB then it can cause tension.  Or if you sign Foles for $8M a guy may not want to come to your team.

I just like the idea of a soft cap.  Reward homegrown talent, bring back some loyalty.  But just because I say that doesn't mean I would want to pay Dak all of that money.  Homegrown or not you're not a $35M QB.  It could also help these lower market teams afford their guys instead of always trying to retool (I think lol).

6 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

It was the union wanting FA not so much the owners.  Hence the strike in 1987 that lead to FA and antitrust action and scab games.  Players starting crossing a couple of weeks in ... Gastineau, Montana and a few other big names I think like Flutie, Randy White and Largent.  Crumbled the whole strike but ended up netting FA and Salary cap.  

I think now form a league TV revenue and popularity of the league in part because of FA the owners may think FA was a good thing but no way did they want it in the late 80's.  Remember watching those "scab" games.  Scott Merseraeu was a replacement player at DT that stuck after the strike for the Jets #94.  Ironically he is the guy Dennis Byrd went head first into the cause his paralysis and end his career.

Edited by JetsFan15

1 hour ago, SDotNova said:

At some point, teams are going to have decide not to sign these QBs. Are the Cowboys better off with Dalton at $5M or Dak at $35M? I’m taking Dalton even at $10M. You can have Dalton and another Amari Cooper for the price of Dak.

If I’m the Cowboys GM, I would consider trading Dak. He’d probably command at least 2 1st. Probably 2 1st and a 2nd.

Yea it is crazy.  The Players need to recognize this though too ...