2020 NFL Free Agency: Rumors and Reports

jetskid007

17 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

Another explanation I've seen floating around twitter: The Johnson's could have a money "problem" (Relatively speaking of course)..

Manish put out rumors earlier in the offseason that the Jets reportedly told free agents they were strapped for cash. Sounds far fetched (Especially considering the source), but keep in mind the Johnson's are still on the hook for both Bowles/Maccagnan through 2020. Not to mention, the nearly $200mil spent last offseason - Most notably, the high guaranteed $$ to Bell/Mosley. In theory, you cut Winter's and allocate the cap space towards Warford.. But if these rumors held any weight, it wouldn't just be an issue of cap space. Warford is probably looking to secure a multi-year deal and the Johnson's could be reluctant to sign the check.

I don't know how much I buy into this btw. You'd think the decision to flip Winters into Warford would be a no brainer, assuming the cap hit is comparable. So..If it turns out we didn't even show interest, then maybe the story has some legs to it. 

Ya I’m not buying that JnJ are hurting. And Bell can be cut after this season.

• Like 1

Yea it doesn’t make sense that JnJ is hurting. Big pharmaceuticals are full proof in this environment. They make a lot of stuff that we use to treat symptoms like Tylenol. And they’re in the running for the vaccine solution. They’re also big in the medical device space. They should be shining if anything. 

Edit: just checked and their stock is practically at an all time high.

Also, I’m assuming their wealth is still mostly trapped in the Johnson and Johnson. I also can’t imagine the Jets are a source of liquidity issues. We’re one of the most valuable franchises and the stadium is always sold out.

Edited by SDotNova

31 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Yea it doesn’t make sense that JnJ is hurting. Big pharmaceuticals are full proof in this environment. They make a lot of stuff that we use to treat symptoms like Tylenol. And they’re in the running for the vaccine solution. They’re also big in the medical device space. They should be shining if anything. 

Edit: just checked and their stock is practically at an all time high.

Also, I’m assuming their wealth is still mostly trapped in the Johnson and Johnson. I also can’t imagine the Jets are a source of liquidity issues. We’re one of the most valuable franchises and the stadium is always sold out.

They don't actually own JnJ their side of the family sold out of it a long time ago.   They do hedge funds stuff. 

• Like 4

Peters is still good, but I would pass. Tackle we should be alright, guard is more the question mark.

If we are gonna allocate our funds, would rather it go to a guard, edge or maybe if the Logan Ryan moves actually happens.

Plus still need the Jamal extension money

1 hour ago, GangGreen420 said:

With this, I'm hoping Peters starts over Becton until Becton earns his spot at LT. Rookies, in general, will likely need more time to adapt because of this crazy situation. So I understand picking up vets like him. Fant will probably start at RT until Edoga can beat him. Peters is probably the perfect person for Becton to learn from. So this provides depth, mentors, protection for Sam/Bell, and doesn't hurt anything. I'm for it. 

• Like 2

I'm not against the idea of signing Peters, but I'd be pretty shocked.   It would really make the Fant signing seem odd.   The only way this would make any sense would be if they want to give Becton a year at OG to learn LT under Peters, have Fant at RT.  But that seems far fetched. 

That our i wonder if Peters would be open to playing OG.  I just don't think it happens. 

2 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

I’d be pro that for sure. We can have Becton start at LG as a transition year. Similar to Jonathan Ogden. We’d have to cut Winters. 
OT Peters and Fant/Edoga

OG Becton and Van Rotten/Lewis/Clarke

C McGovern (keep one of Harrison/Andrews)

That’s a very good OL with depth.

Joe D still out there shopping. We can still improve our team. We can get an edge like Griffen and then cut Williamson. 

Edited by SDotNova

2 hours ago, SDotNova said:

I’d be pro that for sure. We can have Becton start at LG as a transition year. Similar to Jonathan Ogden. We’d have to cut Winters. 
OT Peters and Fant/Edoga

OG Becton and Van Rotten/Lewis/Clarke

C McGovern (keep one of Harrison/Andrews)

That’s a very good OL with depth.

Joe D still out there shopping. We can still improve our team. We can get an edge like Griffen and then cut Williamson. 

I think we’d move Fant to G before we’d love Becton to G. Even if only for a year.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I think we’d move Fant to G before we’d love Becton to G. Even if only for a year.

Yes Fans would move to G. I wanted Josh Jones and move Fast to G and have Becton at LT and Jones at RT. I think we should sign both Ryan and Peters. I don't think either one will cost that much and we can make a few cuts like Winters and Williams (6.5 Mill) plus Tru Johnson coming off the books for 7 Mill on June 1. If we sign Peters it should look like this.

LT Peters

LG Fant

C McGovern

RG Van Roten

RT Becton

If we get Ryan he will rotate in at safety, slot and dime. The guy makes big plays and I will take that all day long. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

Don’t want Peters rather roll with the OT group we got, just give me Warford

The more I think about it the more I want to sign peters, and have him pay LG.  It's been  hesaid that our LG spot in this scheme is going to have almost as much responsibility as LT as they will have a lot of ground to cover.   Convince peters that a move to OG will make playing at a high level easier for him in his old age. 

He mentors Mehki, and playing next to him helps give Mehki someone he can count on.   Clark can learn from peters to and take over in a year or two. 

• Like 1

I am fine with either Peters or Warford but both present different plans for OL.

Peters has no problem to play either T or G as long as he is on the field and plays.  Unfortunately, his injury and age would make it ideal for him as a part time player.  Jets have future OL players on the roster so Peters can rotate all spots but C as long as he is healthy to play.  Problem with this theory is we want OL to work out right immediately.

Warford would be fixed at RG until he becomes incompatible with future blocking scheme.  Limit kids some work but OL should be immediately improved and stayed that way.

Whoever is cheaper will be ours if Jets actually pursue both.