2020 NFL Free Agency: Rumors and Reports

jetskid007

1 hour ago, Abe56 said:

Since the Jets didnt cut Winters pre June 1st his salary is on the  books, cant get that 7 million of relief anymore.  Guess Joey’s believing in him, but personally think that ship has sailed.

Damn, good catch. There's always that suggestion that he just needs to stay healthy, but a great deal of his mistakes have always been mental (Inability to recognize a stunt, etc.).. Speaks to the value of continuity I guess. Not worth cutting him unless there's a viable replacement, so I'll assume Warford was never an option. 

Unless there is anything that states otherwise, I don't think Winters' 2020 becomes fully guaranteed this week.   Since his 2020 base salary is non-guaranteed Jets only pay him a portion of that salary as long as he stays with Jets.   Too small to make an impact on Jets' salary cap for now.

14 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Unless there is anything that states otherwise, I don't think Winters' 2020 becomes fully guaranteed this week.   Since his 2020 base salary is non-guaranteed Jets only pay him a portion of that salary as long as he stays with Jets.   Too small to make an impact on Jets' salary cap for now.

Had to be cut pre june 1st to avoid dead money. 

41 minutes ago, Abe56 said:

Don’t think that’s true. He isn’t guaranteed anything. So his salary “in essence” is a per game salary. He can be cut anytime. As of now he’d be that 7.2mill cap savings he would’ve been pre 6/1. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Abe56 said:

Winters is already on the hook for 282k (Roster bonus) because he was on the roster when new league year began (first day of FA).  That is for as if it comes out correctly.

As for training camp and regular season, I believe Winters will receive weekly or monthly salary portion of his 7m base salary. That is for as if Jets actually pay him promptly.

Anyway, Joe Douglas actually likes Winters that much to keep around because he is a team player and works hard.  I guess we should move on with Winters being on the roster for his final season with Jets.