2020 Mock Draft

Da_Ducktator

Been a while since I have been around these parts. Had some free time and felt the urge to do a Mock with a couple trades for fun. Not going to project free agency signings; will perhaps just update in a few weeks once some signings have happened. Feel free to roast me below.

Trades

Las Vegas Raiders Receive:

#5, #70

Miami Dolphins Receive:

#12, #19

------------------------------------------------------

Carolina Panthers Receive:

#3, #172

Detroit Lions Receive:

#7, #38, #152

Buffalo Bills Receive:

#14, #194

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Receive:

#22, #54

1. Cincinnati Bengals - QB Joe Burrow, LSU

• The hometown kid fresh off the greatest season ever by a college QB. Burrow may have an average arm but the rest of his game is quite good, specifically his pocket presence and leadership. 

2. Washington Redskins - EDGE Chase Young, Ohio State

• I am not a big Haskins guy and thus would understand if the Redskins - with a new staff in place - decided to go a different route at QB, whether it is drafting a QB or trading for Cam. For now, I still believe Young is such a difference maker that he is the best option. 

3. Carolina Panthers (from Detroit) - QB Justin Herbert, Oregon

• First real surprise this go-around; Herbert goes ahead of Tua. Panthers made the trade for a LT and albeit Okung only has a year left on his contract, I think the new staff made the move to help protect the blindside of 'their guy' at QB just in case he plays significantly as a rookie. Maybe Cam stays for the last year of his contract so Herbert can sit and learn, but I do not think Cam is in Carolina for much longer overall. Herbert becomes the future.

4. New York Giants - OT Mekhi Becton, Louisville

• Giants could go a few ways here with Isaiah Simmons and Jeffrey Okudah on the board, but my current feeling is they go offense with their top pick for the third straight year. Becton played both sides at Louisville and is absolutely nasty in the run game. I feel this is the kind of OT Gettleman would love to have.

5. Oakland Las Vegas Raiders (from Miami) - LB Isaiah Simmons, Clemson

• Raiders need defensive playmakers in the worst way and have shown quite the fascination for Clemson products. Simmons is rare in terms of his versatility and athleticism and is an ideal piece to add to a team that struggled against receiving backs last season.

6. Los Angeles Chargers - OT Tristan Wirfs, Iowa

• The trade for Trai Turner was brilliant, IMO. They got the younger, better player, and better contract by moving a solid LT for an elite G, and the main reason it is a great trade; there are four legitimate top 10 talent at tackle in this draft. Who knows at this point for the Chargers would prefer, but Wirfs is my top guy and a Trent Williams clone in my book, so that is what I will slot. I think the Chargers nab Jalen Hurts on day two to compete with Tyrod.

7. Detroit Lions (from Carolina) - CB Jeffrey Okudah, Ohio State

• The Lions would look brilliant if they could slide down and grab an extra 2nd rounder. They are rumored to likely trade down and who would blame them? Getting extra ammo when they are roughly a .500 team last year with their QB healthy makes sense. Okudah would be a dream selection whether at three or seven.

8. Arizona Cardinals - DT Javon Kinlaw, South Carolina

• The Cards need to get meaner on defense. The over-investment on offense the last two years (two 1st on a QB, five offensive top four round selections compared to two on defense) has caught up to them. D.J. Humphries resigned and while a RT could still be helpful, I think Kinlaw is of more value to Arizona right now.

9. Jacksonville Jaguars - CB C.J. Henderson, Florida

• C.J. Henderson tested out of this world at the Combine. The Jags whiffed big last time they took a Florida player in the 1st round, but they need to add corners. They either dished out Ramsey and Bouye in the last year to acquire somebody early, or they are going with a totally different philosophy and prioritizing other areas.

10. Cleveland Browns - OT Jedrick Wills Jr., Alabama

• The Browns would be unbelievably dumb if they don't take a tackle at 10. We all know the Browns are solid talent-wise but were miserably coached a year ago. Their cross-hairs at 10 should be firmly on Simmons and Okudah if they magically fall, and then the four tackles as they keep their fingers crossed at least one of them drops (likely, but never know).

11. New York Jets - OT Andrew Thomas, Georgia

• Back-to-back teams with young quarterbacks and no help at offensive tackle. Maybe the Jets could justify trading down with say the Falcons to get an extra 2nd rounder and praying Thomas falls or falling back on a WR late. However, Andrew Thomas at pick 11 is great value for a team desperately needing him.

12. Miami Dolphins (from Las Vegas) - QB Tua Tagovailoa, Alabama

• I love Tua so this is not a personal knock on him. However, speaking realistically, how sure are we that Tua goes top 10? He has had multiple injuries - none of them 'minor' - over the last couple years and is left-handed. I think can Tua can be a star, but NFL teams do things there way, and I can see multiple teams not having him on the board for one or both reasons.

13. Indianapolis Colts - EDGE K'Lavon Chaisson, LSU

• Chaisson is a tough prospect to pinpoint where he will be selected, especially after not working out at the Combine. The young pass rusher though has unbelievable flashes on tape and it's the type of juice the Colts D needs.

14. Buffalo Bills (from Tampa Bay) - WR CeeDee Lamb, Oklahoma

• The Bills have been aggressive the past two drafts in moving around. They were a playoff team this past year and arguably should have won at Houston. But alas, they did not, and are still in desperate need of another WR. Lamb is superb at adjusting to the ball and contested catches, not to mention sneaky quicks. Plenty of options ahead of this for Lamb to end up at (AZ, JAX, NYJ), but I think the Bills would be salivating for a chance to move up if Lamb dropped into the teens.

15. Denver Broncos - WR Henry Ruggs III, Alabama

• Denver's interest in Ruggs has been out there the past couple weeks and it makes a lot of sense; the best speed in the draft to compliment Cortland Sutton and aide young, big-armed QB Drew Lock. 

16. Atlanta Falcons - CB Kristian Fulton, LSU

• Fulton is arguably the BPA and fits a position in the ATL that could use some bolstering.

17. Dallas Cowboys - EDGE Yetur Gross-Matos, Penn State

• The Cowboys have so many questions right now in regards to who they potentially re-sign and with the coaching staff revamp. However, the Jones' have always shown a fascination with drafting either top-notch athletes in the 1st or offensive lineman (and generally OL who test well). Gross-Matos fits the bill and while primarily an EDGE at Penn State, he was moved around a good amount, something I believe Mike Nolan will value. His versatility across from DLaw with Quinn leaving is much-needed.

18. Miami Dolphins (from Pittsburgh) - RB Jonathan Taylor, Wisconsin

19. Miami Dolphins (from Las Vegas via Chicago) - OT Joshua Jones, Houston

• The Dolphins could go a million different ways if they picked back-to-back in the late teens like this and basically 999,999 of them improve their roster. For now, I am going with the overload of helping Tua for years to come. Taylor can be a difference-maker at RB and Jones has shown the tools to be a quality tackle in the pros.

20. Jacksonville Jaguars (from Los Angeles) - DT Derrick Brown, Auburn

• This team has a lot of holes for being only two years removed from the AFC Championship. Marcell Dareus is leaving so they find another Iron Bowl player to replace him. I personally still like Derrick Brown, but his subpar Combine plus the fact he didn't declare for the Draft last season makes you wonder how highly NFL teams truly have him. I think the second half of the 1st is more realistic.

21. Philadelphia Eagles - WR Jerry Jeudy, Alabama

• God-send pick for the Eagles. Wentz getting a dynamic route-runner like Jeudy could aide his development tremendously. 

22. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (from Buffalo) - QB Jordan Love, Utah State

• Who knows what Arians wants exactly in a quarterback at this point. I think the Eason hype is a bit overplayed and after watching Drew Lock fall last year - an equally strong-armed yet much superior athletically and more sound in overall mechanics (Eason rarely even uses his lower-body when he throws hence his terrible production against pressure) - I don't buy Eason going in the 1st. I can buy on Love sneaking in though, mainly because of the solid week at the Senior Bowl. 

23. New England Patriots - EDGE A.J. Epenesa, Iowa

• Poor Combine may ultimately push him out of the 1st round but New England would be a solid landing spot. Justin Jefferson would be a perfect Edelman replacement in the slot, but I don't think New England is in a position to think much further than the current year with Brady's age.

24. New Orleans Saints - WR Justin Jefferson, LSU

• I go back-and-forth on whether the Saints would use this kind of capital on a slot WR. Payton & Brees always seem to maximize their TE and RB production, which minimizes the need for an impact slot. Michael Thomas also minimizes the need, but the rest of their WR corps is abysmal right now, and an injury to MT would likely be catastrophic to the Saints at this point without bolstering the unit. 'Jet' Jefferson likely solidified a 1st round selection by running sub 4.5.

25. Minnesota Vikings - CB Trevon Diggs, Alabama

• I'm low on the grab-heavy Diggs, but he is indeed big, long and fast, so the likelihood he goes top 40 barring a miserable Pro Day seems high. Placing Trevon on the same team as Stefon just seems fitting.

26. Miami Dolphins (from Houston) - LB Kenneth Murray, Oklahoma

• The capital this team already owns is insane. Getting an athletic freak like Murray to aide the defense would be a big plus for Flores' team.

27. Seattle Seahawks - CB A.J. Terrell, Clemson

• Terrell's national championship performance is overblown. He is an ideal Seahawks corner in terms of length, athleticism, and physicality.

28. Baltimore Ravens - LB Patrick Queen, LSU

• Queen would be a fun addition to this team. The early playoff exit could be a blessing in disguise for this team, specifically if they choose to trade up as their capital is slightly more valuable now.

29. Tennessee Titans - OG Netane Muti, Fresno State

• No idea what this team does in regards to Tanne & Henry right now, but I think they both stick around. I could be wrong, but Muti seems vastly underrated by most right now and I think he could sneak into the 1st. It's an area of need and would assist the two talents they likely invest in.

30. Green Bay Packers - CB Jaylon Johnson, Utah

• Not much LB help here and this team seems dumb enough to continue to starve ARod of more weapons. Jaylon fits the mold of what the Pack look for in a corner.

31. San Francisco 49ers - S Grant Delpit, LSU

• Delpit likely needs solid testing at his Pro Day to ensure the 1st round, but he has the potential to be a dynamic playmaker on the back-end.

32. Kansas City Chiefs - S Antoine Winfield Jr., Minnesota

• Whether or not Fuller resigns, this would be a great snag for the Chiefs. A highly athletic, son of a former Pro Bowl CB, Winfield Jr. would provide much-needed depth for their secondary. And, if Fuller does leave, he is an instant starter.
  • Like 1

This was a cool mock and fun to read until I got to the Packers pick...reaching for a position that isn’t a need? I realize you made this decision based on the Packers being “stupid” but why not fix their stupidity with your brilliant answers to their problems?

Edited by badgers0821
  • Like 3

Time to blast ya Duck :)  You gave us a player and position we really don't have a need for as we are pretty strong in the secondary at CB.  We might could use a Safety if Neal doesn't come back healthy but even then we got Rico Allen and Kazee.  We are 5 deep at CB already with the top 3 pretty much locked in and 2 of those being early round guys needing all the experience they can get to keep improving and played pretty well down the stretch last year.   Trufant is locked into our #1 CB spot for atleast this year and possibly next based on his contract alone he goes no where as it's a 10 mil dead cap hit and he played great last year until his injury late in the season.

Here is our actual list of needs  for the 1st 3 or 4 rounds for you to use and choose from on any future mocks or updates.
DE, DT, OLB, RB, and LG/C

From the 4th round and later for depth or BPA drops these are the best positions to look at
S, TE, CB, and whatever positions you didn't grab earlier and in FA.  We could very well use more than 1 DE since were losing 3 of them so far.

Based on how your draft went the easiest pick in the world was available to the Falcons and one i would have actually been ok giving a pick to move up to get if it had been needed.
Derrick Brown DT is the perfect choice for the Falcons on a massive need at DT next to Grady Jarrett and is a true top 5 player in this draft he is not only BPA but one of the biggest positions of need.  Where as the guy you gave us in Fulton isn't imo close to BPA there maybe in the mid 20's or so for him and just isn't a legit position of need for a starter for us like 4 or 5 other positions are.

14 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Interesting trade for the Raiders. I love Simmons so much but I think we have too many holes to afford moving down that much. Although we would have 4 3rd rounders in this case so a move up could happen.

It was either in the few days before or the few days after Simmons ran (think it was before), where I saw some cut-ups on Twitter of the Raiders D being abused by the Packers and Lions by some RB Scissor concepts (Pack had three different RBs go over 26 receiving yards, and J.D. McKissic scored on a catch for the Lions). Once I saw those and already knew of Gruden & Mayock's infatuation with Clemson players, it made sense to me that they could target a move-up for a big-time defensive play-maker like Simmons.

Even if Simmons ends up being a major bust compared to expectations, at the worst, he will at least be good in coverage, so his absolute worst fills a need for Las Vegas.

13 hours ago, badgers0821 said:

This was a cool mock and fun to read until I got to the Packers pick...reaching for a position that isn’t a need? I realize you made this decision based on the Packers being “stupid” but why not fix their stupidity with your brilliant answers to their problems?

I mean, it's a Mock Draft aka, have to project to as close as I can what NFL teams are going to actually do. Early March, nobody is going to be anywhere near accurate in the long term, but the point is projecting what may actually happen, not what I think should happen.

Packers have shown time and time again the past couple years they would rather roll the dice at WR other than Adams. Jaylon Johnson fits the mold at corner they have tried to fill and when you have to play Cousins/Diggs/Thielen and Stafford/Golladay a total of four times during the season, it's not bad to continue to build depth in the secondary.

Maybe Willie Gay Jr. could fit in here. People are paying more attention after his freaky workout, but I feel his off-field stuff likely keeps him out of the 1st in the end.

12 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Some won't want to trade up for a WR in a class that is this deep but I am all for this.

Lamb is exactly what the Bills need and would be a perfect fit. 

I thought the same. Maybe Higgins provides more "value" by staying put and taking, but Lamb is a potential superstar. Ideal WR to compliment Smokey.

9 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Seriously doubt Brown and Jeudy drop out of the top 15, but stranger things have happened. As for DEN, I know Ruggs is the speed WR everyone expects us to draft but I'd pick Jeudy over him, without a doubt !!

I love both players, but things happen. Dez Bryant had those weird off-field concerns as a prospect, but was a superior prospect to Jeudy and fell to the 20's. I love both Lamb & Jeudy, but the strong likelihood that minimum three QB's, four OT's, Young, Simmons and Okudah go in the top 15 means that there is only five other slots left in the top 15. Teams have not shown a strong tendency to draft a WR like Jeudy - good workout but not exceptional, average size, average production - or a DT like Brown - built like a fire hydrant and wins with clean feet and hands on the field but tested poorly and didn't leave as a junior - highly.

I would personally pick Jeudy over Ruggs as well, but both are great prospects in their own regard. Broncos reportedly are coveting speed to pair with Lock and Sutton. Makes a lot of sense to nab Ruggs from a fit standpoint.

3 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Good work. Nice to see a Mock with some different flavor during draft season.

Appreciate it. The key right now is to remember that know very little on exact fits, but we do have some tendency keys to go off of. Also, have to have a little fun, hence the trades.

3 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

Time to blast ya Duck :)  You gave us a player and position we really don't have a need for as we are pretty strong in the secondary at CB.  We might could use a Safety if Neal doesn't come back healthy but even then we got Rico Allen and Kazee.  We are 5 deep at CB already with the top 3 pretty much locked in and 2 of those being early round guys needing all the experience they can get to keep improving and played pretty well down the stretch last year.   Trufant is locked into our #1 CB spot for atleast this year and possibly next based on his contract alone he goes no where as it's a 10 mil dead cap hit and he played great last year until his injury late in the season.

Here is our actual list of needs  for the 1st 3 or 4 rounds for you to use and choose from on any future mocks or updates.
DE, DT, OLB, RB, and LG/C

From the 4th round and later for depth or BPA drops these are the best positions to look at
S, TE, CB, and whatever positions you didn't grab earlier and in FA.  We could very well use more than 1 DE since were losing 3 of them so far.

Based on how your draft went the easiest pick in the world was available to the Falcons and one i would have actually been ok giving a pick to move up to get if it had been needed.
Derrick Brown DT is the perfect choice for the Falcons on a massive need at DT next to Grady Jarrett and is a true top 5 player in this draft he is not only BPA but one of the biggest positions of need.  Where as the guy you gave us in Fulton isn't imo close to BPA there maybe in the mid 20's or so for him and just isn't a legit position of need for a starter for us like 4 or 5 other positions are.

The Falcons employ Blidi Wreh-Wilson for goodness sakes ;)

I think there is a good possibility that if Fulton has a solid Pro Day, that he goes ahead of Brown. Like I said above, I know people love Brown and I like him too, but there isn't much history to suggest he is going as high as most project. 

16 hours ago, Da_Ducktator said:

11. New York Jets - OT Andrew Thomas, Georgia

• Back-to-back teams with young quarterbacks and no help at offensive tackle. Maybe the Jets could justify trading down with say the Falcons to get an extra 2nd rounder and praying Thomas falls or falling back on a WR late. However, Andrew Thomas at pick 11 is great value for a team desperately needing him.

I love the pick.

It'd be interesting to see what we could get in a trade down here with Tua available and the Dolphins right behind us.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Kyu said:

I love the pick.

It'd be interesting to see what we could get in a trade down here with Tua available and the Dolphins right behind us.

The news this morning may force the Jets to trade down a bit if Derrick Brown is looking like a fall candidate like I had. Could also just try to get more ammo to grab one of the talented day two DT's (Blacklock and Elliott would be really nice picks in the 25-40 range, don't mind Madubuike in the 2nd either).

The Falcons employ Blidi Wreh-Wilson for goodness sakes ;)

I think there is a good possibility that if Fulton has a solid Pro Day, that he goes ahead of Brown. Like I said above, I know people love Brown and I like him too, but there isn't much history to suggest he is going as high as most project. 

How dare you sir O.o   Blidi Wreh-Wilson  was and is actually a guy most falcon fans like here right now because of how solid his play was lol.  He is our #5 CB and outplayed that position multiple times last year.  I can't say he has done well most other places all i can say is how well he done here.  Most Falcon fans want him back for a few more years to continue the play he did last year.  If we can get it for vet min or a little more it would be a steal.  He was very respectable in a falcon uni which surprised alot of us.  Some players just fit certain schemes and teams well and mi glad a cheap vet like blidi did ours over others.

Now as far as Fulton I would be EXTREMELY SURPRISED if he goes before Brown or any number of guys you have going behind him like Jeudy, Love, and Epenesa.  But still Falcons are and always have been a needs based team under Dimitroff this is a known fact and a #4 or 5 CB as the roster sits now is not a need anywhere near as much as a DT or DE on the starting D-line. So Brown or Epenesa makes a ton more sense.  Also i think you hold the combine results alot more to a certain players stock than i do compared to their game tape .

36 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

Now as far as Fulton I would be EXTREMELY SURPRISED if he goes before Brown or any number of guys you have going behind him like Jeudy, Love, and Epenesa.  But still Falcons are and always have been a needs based team under Dimitroff this is a known fact and a #4 or 5 CB as the roster sits now is not a need anywhere near as much as a DT or DE on the starting D-line. So Brown or Epenesa makes a ton more sense.  Also i think you hold the combine results alot more to a certain players stock than i do compared to their game tape .

Mock is a projection of what I think NFL teams will do, not me personally. And guys like Brown and Epenesa would be quite the outliers as top 20 selections after their subpar workouts. 

Brown, for example, had an 8.22 3-cone drill. 1 percentile number. Since 2000, the only DT to be drafted 1st round with a 3-cone slower than 8 seconds is Marcus Stroud out of 37 guys, and that was back in 2001.

With Epenesa, only 7 of the 103 DE's to run a 5+ 40 went 1st round, and all of them except one (Taco Charlton) were 290+ and drafted as 3-4 DE's. Maybe that's Epenesa's future, but he is only 275 right now and measurement-wise lines up with Taco a lot.

Like I said, these two would be huge outliers as top 20 picks.

22 hours ago, Da_Ducktator said:

Las Vegas Raiders Receive:

#5, #70

Miami Dolphins Receive:

#12, #19

This is the first time I have seen someone predict the Dolphins Trading down from 5.  I Love it, that would give us an unprecedented 4 first round picks this year.  Now onto the picks.  I hear what you are saying about Tua falling and would love to trade down and still get him, but I really don't see it happening.  While I am not a big Tua fan, because of the Injury history, you can not deny his talent and someone in the top 10 will roll the dice on that.  I  do not see us taking Taylor at 18, I could see us taking Jones at 18, and either Epenesa or a CB (Diggs or Terrell) at 19 and then going with Murray at 26 if still there.  I think we wait until the first pick in round 2 to take our RB.  Just my thinking though.