• Rise of the Planet of the Apes
    • Interstellar
    • Ex Machina
    • Arrival
    • Mad Max: Fury Road
    • Edge of Tomorrow
    • Inception

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/07/2020 at 11:00 PM

Inception, I feel, is worthy.  If you mix the strong, not incredible quality, with its mass appeal it’s worthy in a list like this. I always think of it as the Sixth Sense of science fiction/cerebral film.  It’s very much a gateway film, and when discussing quality of film, sometimes its impact and inspiration quality ought to overlook a lack of perfect writing and filmmaking qualities.  Nolan is that fantastic mix of quality and mass appeal.  He’s not Kubrick, but Kubrick was not Emerich.  The comparisons between Nolan and Hitchcock really are perfect in a lot of ways.  Definitely not the best filmmakers of their time, but among the most influential.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Inception, I feel, is worthy.  If you mix the strong, not incredible quality, with its mass appeal it’s worthy in a list like this. I always think of it as the Sixth Sense of science fiction/cerebral film.  It’s very much a gateway film, and when discussing quality of film, sometimes its impact and inspiration quality ought to overlook a lack of perfect writing and filmmaking qualities.  Nolan is that fantastic mix of quality and mass appeal.  He’s not Kubrick, but Kubrick was not Emerich.  The comparisons between Nolan and Hitchcock really are perfect in a lot of ways.  Definitely not the best filmmakers of their time, but among the most influential.  

All of that is super fair/legitimate. That said, IMO, the debate about whether or not Leo was awake or not misses the point altogether. It's all about closure/acceptance.

P.S.

The ring wasn't his token. ;)

• Like 1

Inception is ok for what it is, I had some complaints earlier about it and how it fails mainly due to the idea of using Kishōtenketsu  but telling it from a Western protagonist perspective to a (rightfully assumed) very stupid Western audience, combined with Nolans total misuse of arguably Zimmer's best piece of music instead of creating a proper leitmotif.  the other things about it that really suck are its inclusion of Ellen Page, and the fact that it too shamelessly is stolen from Paprika of course.

Heyo Christo, Guardians and Apes in over Gravity and Her. The Super Hero filth should have been quarantined to its own category. Y'all a bunch of grubby manchilds.

Anyway, I WANT to vote Arrival, but I just cant. I loved that movie, and It was headed for a masterpiece, but Villeneuve completely botched the ending. The Chinese Admiral plotline was awful. The short story did a WAY better job showing how time was experienced simultaneously, and the reveal and ending was 1000% better. Cannot believe they didn't just stick with that ending. 

Gonna go with Inception, I guess. I can keep going back to the movie, and enjoy it. I know people have had time to sit a pick apart Nolan's deficiencies and what not, but that movie was a cultural force when it first came out. 

7 hours ago, Ozzy said:

8 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Maybe I will have to start taking drugs which apparently a lot of people are on if they honestly think Arrival is a great movie.  Has it ever been shown on standard cable since then?  Where Mad Max Fury Road has been on TV what 15-25 times potentially in a very short period of time.  And does anyone actually own Arrival because they think it is so good?  

I'll have to double check, but I'm 99% sure I own a copy of every film nominated in this category/decade.   But I'm weird like that.  I actually don't vote on things that I don't feel informed or qualified to.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Maybe I will have to start taking drugs which apparently a lot of people are on if they honestly think Arrival is a great movie.  Has it ever been shown on standard cable since then?  Where Mad Max Fury Road has been on TV what 15-25 times potentially in a very short period of time. 

weird barometer

I'm lost with this genre. Inception and Guardians of the Galaxy are the only two I've seen from the poll.

And GotG should probably be within a separate category.

I'll be back when comedy comes up. Then I can nominate 10+ movies from every decade and be upset when they don't all win. I think the 2010s might have 50 good'ns.