The Next 4 Games Will Determine the Fate of Our Regime

roger murdock

25 minutes ago, ditchdigger said:

18 games into a total roster teardown leaving us as the youngest team in the league and people think Haslam expects a winner by game 22?

Don't be so sure about that.  I think Jimmy is committed, because Dee told him he needs to be.

When the wifey says something like that any man with half a brain does what he is told

14 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The fact that even the most hardcore fanatics such as ourselves are to this point should indicate just how bad of a situation Haslam has got himself in.

I'm fine with the process. But that's just it, it's a process. Leave it alone jimmy

I hope we go 3-1 too, I don't think we need a top 5 pick this year to go after the positions I think we'll be targeting (WR, CB, S, possibly OT, RB).

But no, I don't think the FO/coaches are done if we don't do well in the next few games. I think they have at least until the end of next year.

No head coach is getting 4 years if there isn't improvement, this isn't 1976. This is a win now league and the rebuilding process should take shape by year 3 and if you aren't any better off than when you took over someone, either the coaching staff or front office, should be gone. Hue hasn't done anything that makes him look special. The front office so far has, at least with assets gained.

18 games is too soon to really be calling for a head coaches head unless he looks totally lost, which isn't the case here but if you aren't doing anything after 45 games that is definitely on the table.

I mean if you want to go root for Buffalo...

40 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

It's amazing what one game will do in Browns town 9_9

I didn't make this post because of last week. My thought in general was - that game was a top to bottom disaster, but we only lost 28-14. Thats the kind of game I'm used to losing 42-3, so theres progress somewhere even if it looked terrible.

I made this post because of the next 4 weeks. They are cupcakes. They are teams that are either tanking of self destructing. I'm not asking us to beat the Patriots or the Ravens or the Steelers.

I wouldn't expect someone to be able to hook up with Jessica Alba if they didn't have the game to land a 450 pound lady with self esteem issues. Thats what our next 4 weeks are. We just have to not f up. If we can't score one of those in the next four weeks then things are going to get terrible. Its inevitable.

Get to 2-4 after 6 games and I think we get through this alright. 0-6 and I don't see a chance in hell this experiment gets a third act.

37 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

No head coach is getting 4 years if there isn't improvement, this isn't 1976. This is a win now league and the rebuilding process should take shape by year 3 and if you aren't any better off than when you took over someone, either the coaching staff or front office, should be gone. Hue hasn't done anything that makes him look special. The front office so far has, at least with assets gained.

18 games is too soon to really be calling for a head coaches head unless he looks totally lost, which isn't the case here but if you aren't doing anything after 45 games that is definitely on the table.

Let's just be honest though, last year was essentially a scratch, no attempt was made to win a single game, at least based on roster construction.

Add to that punting on the qbotf for another year.

Firing a coach isn't some magic fix-all, I assumed more folks would have figured that out by now.

52 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

There's not a head coach alive or dead that could make this roster or have "done anything/something to make them look special."

Of course the team needs to be better off in year 3 but win-loss record isn't everything so if Hue goes 5 or 6 wins in year 3 it doesn't mean we're worse off than when mike pettine went 7-9.

You're right in that franchises and owners don't do that anymore and that asking for 4 years in this time is very much so wishful thinking...but maybe we can take a cutting edge approach based on continuity.

The FO has done decent heretofore to potentially reap the benefits of their work in year 3 and 4...what they have done to this point doesn't really do anything year 2.

The players they drafted with the acquired assets will be in their second year during Hue's third year.

So, in essence in year 3...we'll decide how good a coach is based on how he and his staff can coach up and utilize 2nd year players (Kizer, Peppers, Garrett, Njoku, Ogunjobi, Dayes, Howard Wilson), the few 3rd year players that may hit of which most are later round players never destined to be big time impact starters (Ogbah, Coley. Shon Coleman, Kindred, Corey Coleman, Schobert, Nassib) and more rookies/first year players (let's say Minkah Fitzpatrick, Courtland Sutton, and Saquon Barkley)....that roster in Hue's third year will be the youngest roster in the NFL will have the most 3 year or less starters on the team...and therefore hard to win with...

That's going to be a hard team to win a lot with...6 or 7 games would be a good goal..

19 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Let's just be honest though, last year was essentially a scratch, no attempt was made to win a single game, at least based on roster construction.

Add to that punting on the qbotf for another year.

Firing a coach isn't some magic fix-all, I assumed more folks would have figured that out by now.

It isn't about it being a fix-all it is about removing a piece that that isn't working. It is too early to be having this conversation either way. However, during year 3 pieces better be falling into place even if we don't have our QBOTF yet you can still evaluate the staff.

2 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

There's not a head coach alive or dead that could make this roster or have "done anything/something to make them look special."

Of course the team needs to be better off in year 3 but win-loss record isn't everything so if Hue goes 5 or 6 wins in year 3 it doesn't mean we're worse off than when mike pettine went 7-9.

You're right in that franchises and owners don't do that anymore and that asking for 4 years in this time is very much so wishful thinking...but maybe we can take a cutting edge approach based on continuity.

The FO has done decent heretofore to potentially reap the benefits of their work in year 3 and 4...what they have done to this point doesn't really do anything year 2.

The players they drafted with the acquired assets will be in their second year during Hue's third year.

So, in essence in year 3...we'll decide how good a coach is based on how he and his staff can coach up and utilize 2nd year players (Kizer, Peppers, Garrett, Njoku, Ogunjobi, Dayes, Howard Wilson), the few 3rd year players that may hit of which most are later round players never destined to be big time impact starters (Ogbah, Coley. Shon Coleman, Kindred, Corey Coleman, Schobert, Nassib) and more rookies/first year players (let's say Minkah Fitzpatrick, Courtland Sutton, and Saquon Barkley)....that roster in Hue's third year will be the youngest roster in the NFL will have the most 3 year or less starters on the team...and therefore hard to win with...

That's going to be a hard team to win a lot with...6 or 7 games would be a good goal..

I don't think it is all about wins losses either even though it is a results oriented business but even the most casual fans can see if a team is heading in a good direction or at least appear to be. That is what we need in year 3.

6 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I don't think it is all about wins losses either even though it is a results oriented business but even the most casual fans can see if a team is heading in a good direction or at least appear to be. That is what we need in year 3.

Definitely...although don't underestimate the "casual fan" that will be calling for Hue Jackson's job immediately after we go 1-3 over the next 4...it's dang near happening as we speak..

The NFL is a strange business...I just hope Hue doesn't go the way of Todd Bowles; that is, sacrificed to the god of the franchise tear down and rebuild.

Everyone knows that Todd Bowles will be sacrificed at the end of the year and that there was nothing he could do to make this talentless roster especially on offense winners (after going (10-6 his first season before the tear down). After a great rookie head coach first year the FO started to strip things down and went Hackenberg in the 2nd round.

Everyone knew Bowles would have trouble putting points on the board...he did...they did...come year 3 the full rebuild is on in order to scam for Sam...they'll win 2 or 3 games...Bowles will be fired and the fact that he was actually a good coach will be lost to history...

I fear the year 3 thing will be Hue's fate...I don't see how with the youth he'll be able to get sustainable wins. Where are we going to get our playmakers on offense? We're not getting a big time FA WR or WRs to come play with a 2nd year Kizer or Rookie...so we'll turn to the draft and the inexperienced ability to go after wins it brings.

It's going to be a bumpy ride to say the least...pretty soon I'm hopping back on the Jimmy Garrapolo train...

Until Myles gets back I can see the losses stacking up. Once he does though the defense will be able to carry the load and at that point Kizer needs to show he can win. Having good wr's won't matter as much because he won't have to score as many points. If we do end up taking a QB in 1st or a vet QB Kizer would be a great backup and value as a late 2nd rounder.

Sam Darnold is #1 on your board unless your a handful of teams with a young enough franchise QB. If the Colts or Bears finish last it's a bidding war between us an the Bills. Bears will have a hard time winning more than 2 games (SF,CLE at home and @ Cinci). The AFC dud teams basically all play each other, so I think SF and CHI finish 1, 2. Question will be how many QBs will come out.

There is a chance we can't land a top QB because the Bills outbid us, IND/CHI don't finish in the top 2, or both and we miss out on 3 QBs. In that case we have Kizer with a year under his belt and plenty of draft capital. With several QBs taken we'd be in line for Barkley, a top defensive prospect, or maybe even an OT/WR if worthy. The wildcards in all of this are Cousins and Jimmy G.  

It's not even just the next 4 games they have SEVERAL winnable games on our schedule.  I think the first couple games there were defining moments that could have led to a win.  Having Garrett and Coleman hurt it definitely doesn't help. But looking at the schedule and looking at how well they played against two very tough teams, there are at least 9-10 winnable games on the schedule.  I would love to see them win some divisional games but right now the only divisional games I think they win are against Cincinnati. 

If they split the 9-10 winnable games over the course of the rest of the season, then they are on the right track.  If some how they win 6-10 games then next year will be a defining moment in the franchise.  Right now I think they go 6-10 and hopefully draft some great players next year.

3 Sep 24 CLE @ IND Winnable            
4 Oct 01 CIN @ CLE Winnable            
5 Oct 08 NYJ @ CLE Winnable            
6 Oct 15 CLE @ HOU Winnable            
7 Oct 22 TEN @ CLE Winnable            
8 Oct 29 MIN @ CLE Winnable            
9 Bye  
10 Nov 12 CLE @ DET Loss            
11 Nov 19 JAX @ CLE Winnable            
12 Nov 26 CLE @ CIN Winnable            
13 Dec 03 CLE @ LAC Winnable            
14 Dec 10 GB @ CLE Loss