Positional Breakdown: The Quarterbacks

BleedTheClock

Do you believe in Baker Mayfield long-term?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in Baker Mayfield long-term?

The Quarterback Room:

Baker Mayfield   6'1  210
Grade: B+
Potential: A

Image result for baker mayfield gif

Strengths: Accuracy and ball placement are elite. He is a good athlete and can manipulate the pocket at a high level. He spreads the football around to multiple receivers. He is a well liked leader of the team that plays with a firey spirit and attitude. He can make the "WOW" throws regularly and drop the football into tight windows down the field. He makes full-field reads when not asked to work within the confines of RPO concepts. Capable of breaking several rules, like throwing without his feet set or going across the field. Able to throw the ball with zip strength and distance strength both in and out of the pocket.

Areas for Growth: Decision making. His interceptions are all on decision-making, rather than errant throws. He will sometimes hold on to the ball too long and was prone to running out of the pocket too soon in 2019. He did not look as athletic in 2020, nor did he seem as sharp throwing on the run. He does not have ideal size, but I do not think this has hindered his game at all. Some footwork things to clean up as well.

What I Expect in 2020: Less of the RPO stuff. That is part of his game, but it became too much of a staple of the offense last year. Teams disguised coverages and it threw him off. I think in an offense that is concept-driven rather than individual matchup-driven, Baker will thrive. I expect him to return to his rookie form and squeak into the Pro Bowl this year. He will take a step forward and put all of the doubters to rest. We will stabilize our offensive line and give him more time and trust to stand in the pocket and deliver. I would bet on big things from Baker Mayfield in 2020.

Garrett Gilbert   6'4  225
Grade: C-
Potential: C+

Image result for garrett gilbert

Strengths: Gilbert is a sturdy QB that has good physical tools. He has a live arm and the prototypical size. When his footwork and rhythm are on, he looks excellent. He looks the part of an NFL QB.

Areas for Growth: Accuracy and decision making. Gilbert is slow in making decisions where he wants to go with the football. As a result, his footwork is usually not in sync with his throws. He needs to improve upon this going forward if he wants to be considered the long-term backup and maybe even more down the line.

What I Expect in 2020: I think we get the same exact Garrett Gilbert next year. Inconsistent, but talented. I do think he could handle being the primary backup, but I would not feel confident with him serving that role. We should look to upgrade and get more of a veteran presence if possible, but there are more pressing needs than Baker's backup. We will be smashing the panic button if Baker goes down regardless of who replaces him.

Suggested Addition: 2nd String Quarterback.
While I do like Garrett Gilbert in our QB room, I think it would be nice to have a legitimate veteran presence in the #2 QB spot. This is a little pie-in-the-sky for a team that has other holes to patch, but if we can get away without having to pay too much, I would love to add one of the veteran QB's in free agency. My ideal target for the Browns would be Marcus Mariota. He might price himself too high and want to go to a team with a crappier QB situation, but his blend of experience, athleticism, and potential makes him a perfect QB #2.

Potential Free Agency Adds:

Marcus Mariota
Case Keenum
Taysom Hill
Brett Hundley
Blake Bortles
Nate Sudfeld
Chase Daniel

Potential Draft Adds:

Jalen Hurts/Oklahoma (4th-5th Round)
Bryce Perkins/Virginia (UDFA)
Khalil Tate/Arizona (UDFA)

Edited by BleedTheClock
  • Like 2

We have a potential Franchise QB.....he had a soph slump......

I like Case Cookus from Northern Arizona.....good Kid, that had a lot of injuries through his career.

Floating a QB idea out there....my top 5 QB's this year are 1. Burrow 2. Herbert 3. Tua 4. Eason 5. Love.

People think that's a HOT take....Herbert was my #1 QB headed into the college season. And Tua has not been able to stay healthy with 3 1rst round OT's blocking for him and throwing to two first round WR's and 3 2nd day WR's. Am I the only person not as high on Tua? What would Justin Herbert's number look like if he had 2 top 20 draft pick and 3 (Jonah Williams, Jedrick Wills and Alex Leatherwood-next years draft) blocking for him?

We'll know what he is and what he isn't by game 45-48.

Is he a sustainable good top half of the league QB or can he be more, a top-6 QB in the league?

We'll know this year what the longterm trajectory/trend is looking like.

I don't think anyone knows yet.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Mind Character said:

We'll know what he is and what he isn't by game 45-48.

Is he a sustainable good top half of the league QB or can he be more, a top-6 QB in the league?

We'll know this year what the longterm trajectory/trend is looking like.

I don't think anyone knows yet.

Exactly people think this is a make or break year

I don’t think it is. I think 2021 is his make it or break it. You’ve got to see how he comes in his second year under the same staff on a legit staff before you judge him 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, brownie man said:

Exactly people think this is a make or break year

I don’t think it is. I think 2021 is his make it or break it. You’ve got to see how he comes in his second year under the same staff on a legit staff before you judge him 

You're right in that It's definitely not a "make or break year" in the truest sense of the phrase as in if he Baker doesn't show up this year we immediately get rid of him or decide to move on.

Nothing like that is happening and it shouldn't happen. You let Baker play out his Rookie contract and his picked up 5th year option year before moving on.

However, it is a year where after 45 starts or so the trend trajectory of his career will be more solidified and clear.

I'd disagree that we'd have to wait until the following year (Baker's 2nd year in the Stefanski offense) to be able to judge and evaluate whether or not Baker is on the right trajectory of an high quality franchise QB. We all know there's going to be low moments and mistakes this upcoming year. That's to be expected, but by season's end I'm of the opinion that a lot of our lingering questions will be answered with some remaining to be answered throughout the duration of Baker's career.