Positional Breakdown: The Runningbacks

BleedTheClock

Will Nick Chubb hit 1,600 yards this year?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Will Nick Chubb hit 1,600 yards this year?

The Runningback Room:

Nick Chubb   5'11  225
Grade: A+
Potential: A+

Image result for nick chubb gif

Strengths: Just about everything. He has great vision and patience to allow his blocking to set up. He has homerun hitting ability in the open field. He gets through tiny creases and holes without getting tripped up. He runs angry and churns his legs for tough yardage. He makes routine catches out of the backfield. He is a great teammate and hard worker. He pass blocks. He doesn't complain when Kareem Hunt gets reps. He shows up in big moments in big games. He has short area quickness and cuts on a dime.

Areas for Growth: He uncharacteristically put the ball on the ground a few times last year. While he doesn't have poor hands, he is not an elite route runner that can be utilized out wide. He had a severe knee injury in college.

What I Expect in 2020: Chubb is going to go off in a ZBS. He is already by nature a 1-cut runner and watching him work within that scheme is going to be so much fun. I expect him to compete for the rushing title again and end up in the Pro Bowl. He will not likely see the same work load that he did in 2020 now that Hunt is around for a full season, but I still don't think that will hurt his bottom-line rushing yardage number. He is still this team's bell cow back. I would not trade Chubb for any other RB in the NFL right now.

Kareem Hunt   5'9  210
Grade: A
Potential: A+

Image result for kareem hunt gif

Strengths: Hunt does everything at a high level. He is an excellent receiver out of the backfield, but he is not limited to this role. He can smash you between the tackles or take an edge run the distance. He has raw power in his legs that allow him to effortless shed tacklers. He is shifty and creative in space. He is a willing blocker both in pass protection and in the run game. He is one of the most versatile and talented runningbacks in the NFL and there is literally nothing he can't do on the field.

Areas for Growth: Off-field decision making. There is really nothing to dislike about Hunt. He doesn't have the long speed that Chubb does, but he's not slow. If he can get his life together off the field and stop making poor decisions, he's easily a top 5 runningback in this league. I would like to see if we could get him returning kicks and punts for us long-term.

What I Expect in 2020: An increased work load. He will probably split carries with Nick Chubb in 2020, but see more work in the passing game. Any time we are in the gun, it will likely be where Kareem Hunt sees the bulk of the reps. Hunt might not have the amount of rushing yards that Chubb does, but I'd bet their scrimmage yards look comparable. He is a real game-changer and is still good for at least 1 spectacular run per game. We can move him all around formations and play both Chubb and Hunt together in the backfield. He is easily the best #2 RB in the NFL and it is not even close.

D'Ernest Johnson   5'10  205
Grade: C
Potential: B-

Image result for d'ernest johnso

Strengths: Johnson is a solid 3rd string RB that has great hands out of the backfield. He has shown the ability to play out wide or in the slot and get open against DB's. Shifty guy that can make you miss. Plays on special teams and does a great job. Shows a willingness to run between the tackles.

Areas for Growth: Not much to write home about as an athlete. He does not have jarring power to run through defenders, nor does he have the long speed to run past NFL DB's. He does not appear to have a high ceiling. He gets crushed when asked to pass block.

What I Expect in 2020: Not much, to be honest. I think our third string RB will be some other UDFA. I like Johnson for depth purposes, but I think we can find someone with a little more juice. Johnson could still stick with the team as a special teams guy, but I don't think he will be in our long-term plans. Even if he is here, he will not likely see the field on offense unless Hunt or Chubb goes down.

Johnny Stanton   6'2  250
Grade: C+
Potential: B

Image result for johnny stanton former quarterback

Strengths: Stanton has good size and athletic traits. Can play some H-Back and is not relegated to being an extra guard in the backfield.

Areas for Growth: Raw and inexperienced. A bit of a tweener, which can be both good and bad.

What I Expect in 2020: Not much information to go off of. He is a former QB that has not seen a whole lot of real action. I like his size and everything I have read on him, but who really knows? I would not be shocked if he made the team, but I would also not be shocked if he was cut before training camp. A total wild-card.

Suggested Addition: 3rd String RB & Starting FB
I want to find another runningback with more homerun juice. Someone that can contribute on special teams as a return man. I also think we need to have a fullback on the roster that can lead block for Chubb. When we need a yard, it helps to have a big boy to run behind. I think we will find solutions for both of these problems in the UDFA pool following the draft. My hope is to bring in Reggie Corbin (RB) and Bronson Rechsteiner (FB) as UDFA's following the draft. Corbin's long speed and receiving skills are intriguing, as is his potential as a return man. Rechsteiner's raw athletic abilities are intriguing if he can pee a liquid that closely resembles human fluid rather than gamma radiation.

Potential Free Agency Adds:

None. I would not waste FA dollars on a RB or FB.

Potential Draft Adds:

Anthony McFarland/Maryland (5th-6th Round)
Jonathan Ward/Central Michigan (UDFA)
Reggie Corbin/Illinois (UDFA)
Richard Worship/Purdue (UDFA)
Bronson Rechsteiner/Kennesaw State (UDFA)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

Three words: A.J. Dillon

Was coming in here to say this.

If we could get him on board with being an H back, that would be freaking awesome. 

Eventually Hunt will probably move on to another team because of money and Dillon could take on some of the carries. 

11 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’d love to see a day 3 pick to come in and unseat Johnson, perhaps a “speed/change of pace” back with return ability. 

Not sure who that guy would be, but it would be a good fit on the roster.

I want jalen reagor to be our return guy/slot receiver