Regular Season at 16 or 17 games ?

Shanedorf

Poll: Regular Season at 16 or 17 games ?   

42 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to keep Reg Season at 16 games or are you in favor of expanding to 17 ?

• Yes, I want 17 reg season games
    • No, 16 is perfect

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/13/2020 at 01:50 AM

It doesn't really change things much as far as I'm concerned.  What I would have like to see is a 20 game season.  My idea might be crazy, but what I would have liked to see the league do is expand the regular season to 20 games while also giving each team a bye after every 4-5 games.  It's a way where we could all have more football, the owners could have more money, and the players could also get paid more, while also possibly extending their careers because of the bye weeks.  Just my two cents.

3 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

It doesn't really change things much as far as I'm concerned.  What I would have like to see is a 20 game season.  My idea might be crazy, but what I would have liked to see the league do is expand the regular season to 20 games while also giving each team a bye after every 4-5 games.  It's a way where we could all have more football, the owners could have more money, and the players could also get paid more, while also possibly extending their careers because of the bye weeks.  Just my two cents.

3-4 extra bye weeks would not come close to outweighing the damage of 4 extra games.

• Like 3

The NFL isn't like the NHL season, where i feel like it actually badly needs less games.  But i wouldn't want any more games than we have now either.  It's just not necessary, for anything other than padding some owners bottom line even more.  I think the other points about maintaining a standard for statistical/records purposes is a good one as well.

Plus...16 games can already feel like an eternal suffering most years when you're a Jaguars fan and all hope is lost by like week 5, just counting down the weeks until the draft.

• Like 1

16 has such good symmetry, but I understand the need to increase revenue

They could easily extend regular season by one week, by adding another bye 

It's a win win win. More televised (primetime) games, more rest for players, better product on the field for fans to watch 

Yet instead, they are proposing one "neutral site" game per year. Increasing travel, increasing wear and tear, while not increasing rest in any way. 

17 games is probably the worst way to make more money that they could have come up with tbh. Guys are already retiring early, and their solution is to increase games and increase the revenue split at the same time? It's just going to push more guys to an early retirement. 

For the good of the game, they need to stick to 16 games and just add another bye week. The owners could probably keep the split the same % as it is now and make more money overall. 

Edited by N4L
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, N4L said:

They could easily extend regular season by one week, by adding another bye 

Indeed and that idea has been floated in the past, but for some reason the networks wouldn't go for it.
Perhaps the networks are afraid of an anemic line-up.

I would advocate for all teams playing 6 games, then all teams get a bye
Then everybody plays 6 more games, then everybody gets a bye. And then the last 4 games to finish the season
You'd have 2 fall weekends with zero NFL , but the $$ would be the same. And no team would go more than 6 games without a break