Austin Ekeler extended at 4 years, $24.5M

Dr LBC

Good for Ekeler! He earned that contract and well deserved.  Can’t see us giving Melvin 10m per year now.  Too much money tied into that position. Probably smart of the Chargers to get Austin signed before the Broncos pay Lindsay

Edited by BoltsFan937

A couple random thoughts

- Jason Peters would make some sense for us on a one year deal and could be a good mentor for Pipkins

- If we like Tyrod Taylor and Easton Stick, as far as playing styles go, wouldn’t it make sense that we like Jalen Hurts?  I think he could be in play for us in the second or even trade up back into the first 

Edited by BoltsFan937

4 hours ago, BoltsFan937 said:

A couple random thoughts

- Jason Peters would make some sense for us on a one year deal and could be a good mentor for Pipkins

- If we like Tyrod Taylor and Easton Stick, as far as playing styles go, wouldn’t it make sense that we like Jalen Hurts?  I think he could be in play for us in the second or even trade up back into the first 

I get "it's Jason Peters," but I'd have to counter with... "It's Jason Peters."  The guy hasn't made it through a season without missing extended time for injury in a couple seasons and it's not exactly like the Chargers have had the best history in avoiding the injury bug.  Seems a bit too much tempting fate.  Still feel like the best course of action is to take either Wirfs or Wills (at least 1 of them should be there at 6 if not both) and kick Pipkins to compete with (read: "replace") Tevi at RT.

• Like 3

The two scenarios I’d like to see with regards to the draft would be

1. LT 1st, Hurts 2nd, CB 3rd

2. Okudah 1st, LT 2nd, ILB 3rd then wait for 2021 class of QB’s.

3. Simmons 1st, LT 2nd, CB 3rd then wait for 2021 class of QB’s.

i really don’t want Herbert or Love at 6. Just my opinion of course, I’m just not in love with them.

if there was the possibility of landing Trent Williams for a 2nd and 4th, I would be more than happy with that also. Jason Peters can’t stay on the field so what’s the point?

15 hours ago, The LBC said:

I get "it's Jason Peters," but I'd have to counter with... "It's Jason Peters."  The guy hasn't made it through a season without missing extended time for injury in a couple seasons and it's not exactly like the Chargers have had the best history in avoiding the injury bug.  Seems a bit too much tempting fate.  Still feel like the best course of action is to take either Wirfs or Wills (at least 1 of them should be there at 6 if not both) and kick Pipkins to compete with (read: "replace") Tevi at RT.

I should have clarified, Peters on a one year/fairly cheap contract as a bridge to Pipkins in 2021 or sooner. I don’t love him, I just thought it made sense as a vet player with Pipkins coming up, kinda like when we had Freeney on the team.  

I hate this, but I think we’re going to go QB in the first and I wouldn’t be surprised at all if TT got nervous and traded up to get his guy. Or I could see us sit still at 6 and take our QB and then trade back up into the first for Austin Jackson or Ezra Cleveland. Only if we sign or trade for a vet QB do I see us passing on that position in the first

I actually like the idea of T in first. We should have a great option at 6. Hurts in the second and WR/CB in the 3rd. Hillman should be available for a cheap price and is a good option to be that third back behind Ekelor/Jackson. 

1 hour ago, Boltstrikes said:

I actually like the idea of T in first. We should have a great option at 6. Hurts in the second and WR/CB in the 3rd. Hillman should be available for a cheap price and is a good option to be that third back behind Ekelor/Jackson. 

I’m actually never down to sign running backs, always look in draft in the mid rounds. I like the idea of drafting a rb every couple years in the 3rd or 4th as needed. Get a singletary or Montgomery every few years. Run them into the ground. Don’t resign, no matter how productive. Repeat. The attrition rate of the position is ridiculous to potentially have dead money at the spot in my opinion.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...