2001-2008 Yankees: Why did they fail to win American League pennants and World Series championships?

Championshiporbust

From 2001 to 2008, the New York Yankees was in a championship drought. 

2001-Won their 38th American League pennant, fourth consecutive pennant and World Series appearance, lost Game 7 of '01 World Series to Arizona Diamondbacks in 9th inning

2002-Lost to the Anaheim Angels in 4 games in American League Division Series 

2003-Won their 39th American League pennant against the Boston Red Sox in a epic 7-game American League Championship Series, lost '03 World Series to Florida Marlins in six games

2004-Lost the 2004 American League Championship Series in one of the biggest sports chokes in history. Up 3 to 0, the Yankees allowed the Red Sox to win four straight to avoid elimination to win the 2004 American League pennant.

2005-Lost to the Los Angeles Angels in 5 games in American League Division Series

2006-Lost to the Detroit Tigers in 4 games in American League Division Series 

2007-Lost to the Cleveland Indians in 4 games in the American League Division Series, the Steinbrenners and Yankees manager Joe Torre decide to part ways, Torre leaves the Yankees for the Dodgers, they hire Joe Girardi.

2008-Miss playoffs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/26/sports/baseball/26review.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/05/sports/baseball/05series.html

The Yankees would later win their 27th World Series title in 2009. What happened? Poor team chemistry? Arrogance?

Bunch of factors... 

Old core (at the tail end of steroid era, when a lot of these guys were breaking down) 

Never had a great pitching staff

Failed to develop their prospects effectively 

Baseball is also a crap shoot.  Even with the above they generally had one of the best teams in baseball, but your chances are never going to be more than about 1 in 5 to win the World Series even if you make the playoffs.

8 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Bunch of factors... 

Old core (at the tail end of steroid era, when a lot of these guys were breaking down) 

Never had a great pitching staff

Failed to develop their prospects effectively 

Baseball is also a crap shoot.  Even with the above they generally had one of the best teams in baseball, but your chances are never going to be more than about 1 in 5 to win the World Series even if you make the playoffs.

None of this stuff really applies until 2004 (other than your last point)

2001-03 could have all easily been WS years.

The 2004 team was majorly flawed but they obviously could have easily made a WS considering...well you know

2005-07 are still mostly crapshoot and midges, but those teams were no longer the clear best in the league on a consistent basis.  I mean our best hitter being so bad in all three series' and Torre being an old buffoon were also contributing factors.

12 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

The 2004 team was majorly flawed but they obviously could have easily made a WS considering...well you know

2005-07 are still mostly crapshoot and midges, but those teams were no longer the clear best in the league on a consistent basis.  I mean our best hitter being so bad in all three series' and Torre being an old buffoon were also contributing factors.

Probably a mistake letting the BFF's go to Houston and replacing them with Kevin Brown and Javier Vazquez.

26 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

Probably a mistake letting the BFF's go to Houston and replacing them with Kevin Brown and Javier Vazquez.

Kevin Brown was the only mistake there.

You do that Vazquez trade 10 times out of 10

Pettite had a balky elbow and proved the Yankees correct the next year (plus he wanted to go home)

Roger was just being a little Favre beyotch

53 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Tbf the 2001 team wasn't that great either.

44 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Kevin Brown was the only mistake there.

You do that Vazquez trade 10 times out of 10

Pettite had a balky elbow and proved the Yankees correct the next year (plus he wanted to go home)

Roger was just being a little Favre beyotch

I didn't realize he did anything that significant.  Only thing I remember was him being traded for RJ a year later.  Randy's first year there was pretty good until the postseason.

46 minutes ago, Championshiporbust said:

2006 was the year the Yankees could have won it all....they would have beaten La Russa's Cards in 7. 

Yankees should have had 41 pennants by now.

The year Torre batted A-Rod 8th lmao

tbh the only thing memorable about that team was the constant A-Rod bashing plus Jeets/Cano hitting .340

7 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

And yet they were an inning away from winning the WS, so what's your point lol

Well that just goes to the point I made earlier... any playoff team can easily win the WS, biggest factor is luck.

But I wouldn't pretend like the 2000-2001 Yankees were any better than the 2004-2007 Yankees.  Honestly I think the 2004-2007 Yankees were much better for the most part, tbh.

8 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Well that just goes to the point I made earlier... any playoff team can easily win the WS, biggest factor is luck.

But I wouldn't pretend like the 2000-2001 Yankees were any better than the 2004-2007 Yankees.  Honestly I think the 2004-2007 Yankees were much better for the most part, tbh.

nah man you're right

Asking why they couldn't win from 2001-08 is weird because pretty much the same core won 4 championships right before that.  Plus it's pointless to act bewildered that the 2001 Yankees couldn't win it all when they were literally on the cusp of winning it all.

Archived