49ers player contract updates

uk9erfan

Good if they all sign. I'm assuming with E-man they're saying something like, well we really liked what we saw from you last year but can you show it as a starter and prove it for a full season, not just on a rotational basis. Also makes me think Spoon will be gone (especially if we draft a corner which we know we should). 

Kind of the same thing with Brunskill though his versatility along the line comes into it too. 

Dwelley needed to be kept for now with Celek retiring and for the obvious depth reason. 

Quite happy to keep Mullens as a back up. 

Jeff Wilson signing this would be good imo. I really like what little we have seen from him. By coincidence there was another interesting article suggesting 4 potential cap casualties in the next few weeks, two of which were Tevin Coleman and Jerick McKinnon. If that panned out we would have Mostert, Breida and Wilson as our three backs. Personally I'd rather have four and keep Coleman but could live with the suggested trio and an RB picked up in the draft (though a healthy Jalen Hurd might fill that situational role)  And yes I know we drafted Hurd as a WR. 

Letting Coleman go would save us 4.5 million in cap space apparently and with the big contract we are giving Armstead this might be a necessary fiscal move. 

The other two suggested cap casualties were Tartt and Marquise Goodwin. Cutting the latter would not surprise me, but letting Tartt go really would. 

There was even a rumored suggestion of us cutting Dee Ford. I know it sounds crazy doesn't it? But it would save us a lot of money in cap space and he only played 22 per cent of the snaps last year. This league is very much about how much have you done for us lately and how much did it cost us? So who knows. 

Edited by uk9erfan

All of these were basically no-brainers. Good depth, all of them

Let's not forget how well dwelley played at FB when juice was hurt and the fact he did a fine job filling in for kittle at TE (kittle is irreplaceable but dwelley played welly). One guy who plays decent STs and backs up two positions is valuable. He has good measurables

Brunskill was incredible. What a find that guy was. I can say with great confidence we aren't the #1 seed without that guy

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, N4L said:

All of these were basically no-brainers. Good depth, all of them

Let's not forget how well dwelley played at FB when juice was hurt and the fact he did a fine job filling in for kittle at TE (kittle is irreplaceable but dwelley played welly). One guy who plays decent STs and backs up two positions is valuable. He has good measurables

Brunskill was incredible. What a find that guy was. I can say with great confidence we aren't the #1 seed without that guy

What do you think about the potential cuts? 

On 3/7/2020 at 1:44 AM, N4L said:

Coleman McKinnon are easy cuts imo 

Would like to trade Goodwin if we can, should be able to get a 6th I hope. 

I cannot see us moving forward without EITHER Coleman or McKinnon at this point, especially with Breida's status up in the air. I can definitely see us renegotiating McKinnons and letting Coleman walk. But, I also wouldnt be surprised to see Breida exit and the Niners keep McKinnon and Coleman (if I remember correctly, Coleman's cost next year would only be slightly above what we would need to pay Breida - correct me if I am wrong).

My expectation - Mostert, McKinnon(re-structured), Breida, Wilson

Goodwin - yes, I expect us to trade him, wouldnt expect anything more than a late rounder, but at this point I will take it.

@P_locniners the only way I bring back McKinnon is to reduce his salary to the vet min and make it non guaranteed. He has to make the roster over udfas, Jeff Wilson Jr, or any draft pick. In no way am I relying on him to be healthy until after the 4th preseason game. We absolutely need to bring in healthy runners to compete for that spot. 

Having a healthy McKinnon sounds great, but it's been two years and his game was predicated on his physical abilities. Vet min or nothing for me. Vet min is essentially cutting him and re-signing 

• Like 1

I forgot all about Jeff Wilson. I would cut McKinnon, extend Coleman because he is good and it would cut down his cap number for 2020. I wouldn't let Breida go anywhere. Mostert, Coleman, Breida and Wilson is a good foursome at RB.

WR wise, not happy that we haven't even had contract talks with Sanders. They should try to re-sign him. He's extremely valuable for us at WR with so many youngsters. I would cut Goodwin if the team can't trade him. No reason to keep him.

I would be very surprised if we cut Tartt. That would make little sense to me. Don't see Ford being released either but I would trade him if I could get a 2nd for him. I can see Ford being traded/released in 2021 though. His full base salary becomes guaranteed on April 1st.

As of now, I would be going with Bosa, Armstead/Buckner/Thomas on the DL with Greenlaw/Warner/Alexander at LB for 2021 and beyond unless the team somehow trades/releases Ford before April 1st.

17 hours ago, N4L said:

@P_locniners the only way I bring back McKinnon is to reduce his salary to the vet min and make it non guaranteed. He has to make the roster over udfas, Jeff Wilson Jr, or any draft pick. In no way am I relying on him to be healthy until after the 4th preseason game. We absolutely need to bring in healthy runners to compete for that spot. 

Having a healthy McKinnon sounds great, but it's been two years and his game was predicated on his physical abilities. Vet min or nothing for me. Vet min is essentially cutting him and re-signing 

I can agree with this, im not gonna lie, part of me just REALLY wants to see what he can do in this offense. He has gotten enough money from us over the past two seasons and provided nothing.

That being said, if we got him for the vet minimum, thats GREAT. I dont see that happening though, fingers crossed.

3 hours ago, P_locniners said:

I can agree with this, im not gonna lie, part of me just REALLY wants to see what he can do in this offense. He has gotten enough money from us over the past two seasons and provided nothing.

That being said, if we got him for the vet minimum, thats GREAT. I dont see that happening though, fingers crossed.

That is the sunk cost fallacy. What we paid him in the past has no bearing on the return we should get in the future. The money is already gone. 

The only thing that money should do is get him to agree to vet min. Anything more than that and it's borderline negligent on our part imo 

The fact he is a good fit for the offense means he should welcome a prove it deal so that he can go get more money elsewhere. Especially because we will have 5 primetime games next year and that's a great way to showcase your ability

• Like 2

21 hours ago, dan77733 said:

I would cut McKinnon, extend Coleman because he is good and it would cut down his cap number for 2020

Hard, hard, hard pass for me. I'd rather cut Coleman this year. He isn't good. He's good when his offensive line crushes a team. He creates less on his own than all of our running backs and is not good across the NFL. 

• Like 1

Coleman isn't great but I do see him as a good solid RB. Of course, we'll see what the team does. If anything, with no dead money, I would try to trade Coleman for a late round draft pick if possible before just cutting him though.

Biggest problem i have with Coleman is he gets stopped by a wet napkin. The guy goes down on first contact almost all the time and he also doesn't have the suddenness a guy like Mostert has. If Coleman is back i wouldn't really mind it but i think we can do better there without spending the money we do on Coleman. Was a big fan of the signing because of what i thought he could do in the receiving game but man has he been disapointing there. He really runs the strangest and ugliest flat routes possible.

Edited by Justone2

1 hour ago, dan77733 said:

Coleman isn't great but I do see him as a good solid RB. Of course, we'll see what the team does. If anything, with no dead money, I would try to trade Coleman for a late round draft pick if possible before just cutting him though.

Seems like a tough trade but I'd cut him.

Edited by 49erurtaza