(Polls) Rank/Choose the Top Tackles & Joe Thomas Says Wirfs is a Guard

Mind Character

Rank the Tackles  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Who's Your 2020 OT1 NFL Draft Prospect?

• Mekhi Becton, OT Louisville
    • Andrew Thomas, OT Georgia
    • Jedrick Wills Jr., OT Alabama
    • Tristan Wirfs, OT/OG Iowa
    • Josh Jones, OT Houston
    • Austin Jackson, OT USC
  2. 2. Is there a Clear Best, Head and Shoulders Above the Rest Tackle Prospect in the Draft?

3. 3. How Many Tackles Go Off the Board BEFORE the Browns Select?

• 0 - None; We'll be Selecting the 1st Tackle Taken in the NFL Draft

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The thing fans seemingly always overlook is I highly doubt our “big boards” look like the front offices.

Unlike generic CBS/NFL.com rankings, they’re doing to adjust for things like scheme fit.  They’re also going to have a much better idea of character and personality issues than we as fans do, which will greatly impact how they value prospects.

So while we all say “just take one of the top 4 tackles at 10” it’s highly unlikely they view all of those guys equally or even the same 4 guys as the top 4 prospects at OT.

I want them to address the OT spot within the first 2 rounds at a minimum, ideally at 10, but if their guy is gone or the guy they have rated highest at OT is a lesser prospect than what’s on the board, don’t force it, we have plenty of other needs.

Based upon history, please use words like "different" than "better" when referring to how our FO's board(s) differ from those in here. ;)

• Like 1

On 3/13/2020 at 6:02 AM, Mind Character said:

Brett Kollman knows what's up..

On Wirfs Vs. Wills: " With Wills in particular in my opinion being clearly the better player of the two....Hall of Fame talent, It's not a hard decision.. take Jedrick Wills."

I've been trying to tell everyone. Wirfs is a Guard not a Tackle and Wills is clearly the best, head and shoulders above the rest. If we take Wirfs and put him at Tackle it will be a huge mistake. Trade the 3rd rounder to get Wills. He has it all and will be an All-Pro year 2 at the Latest. If we must, I guess gamble on Becton, but F-that instead trade down if Wills if off the board. It's Wills or Bust aka if not Wills trade down and get Robert Hunt.

@BrownsDog23 just saw that you already posted it. Good stuff.

Not sure a 3rd rounder gets us to willis you may have trade with Detroit to get him.

that said I think New york drafts Simmons. 

• Like 1

I believe were in the perfect spot to let the draft come to us. I think the consensus in the room are OT at 10, and I think the consensus in the room is everyone loves two OT's (Thomas and Wills) and will would be OK with one and think the other is going to bust or need a position change (Wirfs and Bekton).....so I think were in position to let the draft come to us at 10. Trading up I think is a bad use of assets in this draft. IF all 4 OT's are gone, and 3 QB's are gone, then by the math 2 of Brown, Okuda, Young or Simmons would HAVE to be available.....so its either an OT or Blue Chip Defender at 10.

Who's WITH ME?!?!?!

Another weird feeling that I have is........Berry seems to be a chess player......and while I love Juice and OBJ, with the Star DE, Franchise QB, #1 CB and Potential league leading rusher at RB.....can we ALSO have the highest paid WR+WR+TE combo in the NFL? Juice and OBJ contracts will be about up when its time to resign our core......I think Berry LOADS up on WR's in this years Historic Class...I see a WR in round 3 and one on day 3....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DaWg_LB. said:

Trading up I think is a bad use of assets in this draft

I dont think so, especially in this draft. With so many uncertainties when it comes to medicals, not seeing guys at their pro days that werent invited to the senior bowl or combine, and not bring in guys you really wanted to see. I think it adds a level of uncertainty to this draft. That, say Berry doesnt feel comfortable with any of the projected 4/5/6/7th rd guys that he might be willing to trade up to get guys they really like or really want

• Like 1

2 hours ago, buno67 said:

I dont think so, especially in this draft. With so many uncertainties when it comes to medicals, not seeing guys at their pro days that werent invited to the senior bowl or combine, and not bring in guys you really wanted to see. I think it adds a level of uncertainty to this draft. That, say Berry doesnt feel comfortable with any of the projected 4/5/6/7th rd guys that he might be willing to trade up to get guys they really like or really want

Normally I would agree with you, but with our need at LB, and LB's are typically available later in the draft, AND this Wr is class is loaded, I seriously feel like there will be some WR's available in the round's you've stated, that would normally be 2nd day selections....and he can prep for the eventual moving on from Juice and OBJ....

2 hours ago, DaWg_LB. said:

Normally I would agree with you, but with our need at LB, and LB's are typically available later in the draft, AND this Wr is class is loaded, I seriously feel like there will be some WR's available in the round's you've stated, that would normally be 2nd day selections....and he can prep for the eventual moving on from Juice and OBJ....

I see this draft going many different ways for teams 

one, I see this draft turning into a draft that we look back at like 5 years from now and we scratch our head and wonder how so many guys who turned into legit players were drafted in the later rounds as a whole draft class for NFL, not just for one team.

two, with that, I see some teams having stellar drafts because they are going to get steals in the later round and other teams are going to look real bad by missing on top tier picks 

three, this is a draft where I see a lot of trades being made for picks. Like I said before, GMs wont be confident in some picks so they might be willing to trade up to get guys they really want earlier in the draft. I also see a lot of trades in the later rounds as guys you scouted and really like start to drop because other teams are not sure in them. Like guys with medical issues might be the biggest difference maker. Like they will make and break some GMs. A GM might draft a guy that might not get cleared and potentially burned a 2nd/3rd pick on a guy who never truly plays or you draft the get with the medical issues in the late rounds because teams werent sure about and now that GM got a top tier talent late because they were healthier than expected.

This is truly going to be a crazy draft. You wont be 100% confident in all your scouted players because you never got a chance to meet face to face. I know you had the video chats but there will still be that little bit of doubt. Its going to be a whole new environment. You know drafting from home is going to be very different and it might change the mindset for guys. We currently know working from home and working from work, your attitude, focus, and mindset is different. 

On 4/9/2020 at 7:36 PM, bruceb said:

Here's Joe Thomas' latest take.

Becton is his pick.

Statements start at 16.28

https://923thefan.radio.com/media/audio-channel/joe-thomas-thinks-mekhi-becton-fits-kevin-stefanskis-scheme-the-best

Becton was his guy on the show Cleveland Browns Daily as well.

He gave general "they're all good at LT" comments on the show that you linked, but he was far more specific and detailed about his comments about the Tackle Prospects on his extended show appearance before.

I wonder if he's in the know or if the Browns have turned to him for another perspective on things much like the organization did when they asked for his help vetting Kevin Stefanski's references and background check info.

24 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Becton was his guy on the show Cleveland Browns Daily as well.

He gave general "they're all good at LT" comments on the show that you linked, but he was far more specific and detailed about his comments about the Tackle Prospects on his extended show appearance before.

I wonder if he's in the know or if the Browns have turned to him for another perspective on things much like the organization did when they asked for his help vetting Kevin Stefanski's references and background check info.

Could be.

I generally discount what Joe has to say.

In this case, though, I am inclined to pay attention.

After all, he does know a little about the T position.

• Like 2

I just don’t get how someone can debate a polished sure-thing tackle vs. a high upside, more raw talent, and take the risk at OT. Of all positions. Just draft the guy you know can block and will keep your QB upright. Don’t overthink this. I certainly respect JT, who knows more then me about blocking by far. I’m just wondering how my eyes are deceiving me this badly. Beckon is a boom or bust. We don’t even need a ‘boom’ necessarily. Just give me a solid and reliable dude there and I’m happy.

7 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I just don’t get how someone can debate a polished sure-thing tackle vs. a high upside, more raw talent, and take the risk at OT. Of all positions. Just draft the guy you know can block and will keep your QB upright. Don’t overthink this. I certainly respect JT, who knows more then me about blocking by far. I’m just wondering how my eyes are deceiving me this badly. Beckon is a boom or bust. We don’t even need a ‘boom’ necessarily. Just give me a solid and reliable dude there and I’m happy.

My only argument would be if you take a guy top 10 you better think he's an all pro and not just average

Just now, TeHDruiD said:

My only argument would be if you take a guy top 10 you better think he's an all pro and not just average

I do get that argument.

A guy like Joe Thomas was a high-upside and high floor guy. For me, I’ve seen too many top 10 high-upside tackles fall on their faces. See Greg Robinson. I like taking risks later on unless I feel like there’s a better chance of success then I feel about a guy like Becton. If I can get a sure-thing top 25% type LT starter, I’ll gladly take that. I feel that way about at least two guys that could be there for us. I agree with you and don’t want average. You can get that via trades or FA/later in the draft, so if that’s what you’re looking at, you go BPA with another position and take your shot later.