(Polls) Rank/Choose the Top Tackles & Joe Thomas Says Wirfs is a Guard

Mind Character

Rank the Tackles  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Who's Your 2020 OT1 NFL Draft Prospect?

• Mekhi Becton, OT Louisville
    • Andrew Thomas, OT Georgia
    • Jedrick Wills Jr., OT Alabama
    • Tristan Wirfs, OT/OG Iowa
    • Josh Jones, OT Houston
    • Austin Jackson, OT USC
  2. 2. Is there a Clear Best, Head and Shoulders Above the Rest Tackle Prospect in the Draft?

3. 3. How Many Tackles Go Off the Board BEFORE the Browns Select?

• 0 - None; We'll be Selecting the 1st Tackle Taken in the NFL Draft

7 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

What? Why?

Remember a half-season ago when Andrew Thomas was a consensus top-10, usually top-5, pick and then he had a solid close to the season and then a solid combine and strong interviews?

tl;dr he trash

• Like 5

2 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

Remember a half-season ago when Andrew Thomas was a consensus top-10, usually top-5, pick and then he had a solid close to the season and then a solid combine and strong interviews?

tl;dr he trash

He no longer is held in such high regard, especially with the entrance of the other "Big Three" into the discussion.

Like I said, he will be good, not great.

51 minutes ago, bruceb said:

He no longer is held in such high regard, especially with the entrance of the other "Big Three" into the discussion.

Like I said, he will be good, not great.

cause he is the only one who has actually played the left side in a more traditional style offense?

Can we really say Wirf projects better when a lot of people are labeling him as a better guard

Hell Thomas has longer arms by 1/2 inch longer wingspan than becton by 1/4 inch and hands are only 1/2 smaller

Thomas didnt kill the 40 yard dash compared to the others but he did out run them on the shuttle and 3 cone. I would weigh this more than say 40 yard dash. I believe thats why Becton did do them because he knew he wasnt going to move that well side to side and changing direction like that.

Thomas is not a tier below those other guys. 

7 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

tl;dr he trash

Seriously asking ... what is it that you focus on with Andrew Thomas that has you (and many others of course) thinking he's a better prospect/Tackle relative to Jedrick Wills? Does it have anything to do with pre-draft process popular sentiment about Thomas being a "game-changing top-2, sure-fire, all pro tackle prospect" or is it instead based on evaluation of his play, or a mixture of both?

Andrew Thomas' quality as an NFL prospect is independent of the draftnik pre-season consensus opinion, especially when pre-season/prior-season mock drafts or "consensus" opinion is not often based on real evaluation of a player but instead hype.

It was not long ago that the "consensus" top Picks in the Draft were Joe Burrow and Andrew Thomas with consensus opinion suggesting that Chase Young was the 3rd prospect overall and/or the 2nd-best non-QB prospect overall.

That opinion was just wrong whether consensus believed it or not.

Remember a half-season ago when Grant Delpit was a consensus top-5 pick, or Jerry Jeudy was a guaranteed top-5 pick, or when AJ Epenesa was a top-5 guy.

Or when Orlando Brown Jr. was a consensus Top-5 Pick. There are countless others.

Andrew Thomas is what he is and it's separate from what people once thought he was.

Jedrick Wills smokes Andrew Thomas out of the water in any and every Tackle play trait imo. That many don't see that is what makes this draft stuff some of the most interesting things of all time. You all see green and I see blue.

Edited by Mind Character

3 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Seriously asking ... what is it that you focus on with Andrew Thomas that has you (and many others of course) thinking he's a better prospect/Tackle relative to Jedrick Wills? Does it have anything to do with pre-draft process popular sentiment about Thomas being a "game-changing top-2, sure-fire, all pro tackle prospect" or is it instead based on evaluation of his play, or a mixture of both?

Andrew Thomas' quality as an NFL prospect is independent of the draftnik pre-season consensus opinion, especially when pre-season/prior-season mock drafts or "consensus" opinion is not often based on real evaluation of a player but instead hype.

It was not long ago that the "consensus" top Picks in the Draft were Joe Burrow and Andrew Thomas with consensus opinion suggesting that Chase Young was the 3rd prospect overall and/or the 2nd-best non-QB prospect overall.

That opinion was just wrong whether consensus believed it or not.

Remember a half-season ago when Grant Delpit was a consensus top-5 pick, or Jerry Jeudy was a guaranteed top-5 pick, or when AJ Epenesa was a top-5 guy.

Or when Orlando Brown Jr. was a consensus Top-5 Pick. There are countless others.

Andrew Thomas is what he is and it's separate from what people once thought he was.

Jedrick Wills smokes Andrew Thomas out of the water in any and every Tackle play trait imo. That many don't see that is what makes this draft stuff some of the most interesting things of all time. You all see green and I see blue.

Sometimes, Mind...sometimes.

Pretty much everyone here loves Wills. I was responding to how Thomas is all of a sudden cheeked liver. He is a very good prospect. Do I think he's a better prospect than Wills? Probably not, but Thomas looks very good in his own right.

The expectation by most is that Wills will be long gone when we pick at 10, so the question becomes as to which of the top-4 we consider blue-chip. Most seem happy with any of them. The only one I don't trust is Becton because he looks out of control a bit too often for my taste. I don't know if Wirfs is a guard only--have a hard time believing he couldn't dominate at RT, a little stiffness or not. He plays STRONG and moves incredibly well.

Really any of them but Becton and I'm feeling pretty trusting in our guys to coach 'em up. Becton seems like drafting the Josh Allen of tackles and I don't like that level of risk at pick 10.

Wills, Wirfs and Thomas all look like they are technically sound and had good combines, with Wirfs going ballistic. So late squeaky clean off the field. All interviewed well as far as I've heard. 🤔

If we have our choice of tackles at 10, that would be pretty sweet, but we'll likely be looking at two or three of the big-4, seeming like Wills and Becton being the two likely to be gone according to draft pundits.

tl;dr Jeudy still deserves to go top-5 and I hope he does

Edited by NudeTayne
  • Like 1

tl;dr Jeudy still deserves to go top-5 and I hope he does

I’d draft Jeudy over Wirfs. Not over Wills or Thomas though. I think he’s an ELITE player 

Wirfs looks like a guard. Probably the second best guard in the game but I think he’s a guard all day. Thomas is a great player and he’d be solid for 10 years as a left tackle. He has great feet. 

Wills is the guy though 

• Like 1

Sometimes, Mind...sometimes.

tenor.gif?itemid=9971274

He plays STRONG in CHEEKS Technique and moves incredibly well.

fify...

Wills, Wirfs and Thomas all look like they are technically sound

tenor.gif?itemid=5236520

Technically sounds is not what Wirfs is as a Tackle.... far from it ....

8 hours ago, buno67 said:

Thomas is not a tier below those other guys. 

In a gap scheme, Andrew Thomas is the superior prospect to Becton and not that far off from Wills.

In a ZBS scheme given what it requires, Thomas is indeed a tier below Wills and it's not even close. Scheme matters.

Edited by Mind Character