(Polls) Rank/Choose the Top Tackles & Joe Thomas Says Wirfs is a Guard

Mind Character

Rank the Tackles  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Who's Your 2020 OT1 NFL Draft Prospect?

• Mekhi Becton, OT Louisville
    • Andrew Thomas, OT Georgia
    • Jedrick Wills Jr., OT Alabama
    • Tristan Wirfs, OT/OG Iowa
    • Josh Jones, OT Houston
    • Austin Jackson, OT USC
  2. 2. Is there a Clear Best, Head and Shoulders Above the Rest Tackle Prospect in the Draft?

3. 3. How Many Tackles Go Off the Board BEFORE the Browns Select?

• 0 - None; We'll be Selecting the 1st Tackle Taken in the NFL Draft

12 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Becton is a very good run blocker but I could care less about that trait when it’s my left tackle, especially when it’s a zone scheme. Hell thats basically what Robinson was when he came out of college. Amazing athlete who was a mauler in the run game. Pass blocking never developed.

Give Me the tackles that are already Established as pretty good overall pass blockers. I’m not drafting a LT and hoping he can develop into one of those when that is the most important aspect for their position. Rather have my tackle develop as a run blocker than as a pass blocker. 

Yeah when I think of why LT is a premium position and what the best of the best get paid for, it’s for being able to pass block the opposing team’s best pass rusher with little to no help.

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah when I think of why LT is a premium position and what the best of the best get paid for, it’s for being able to pass block the opposing team’s best pass rusher with little to no help.

EXACTLY! Joe Thomas wasn’t drafted because of run blocking ability and a fit into a run scheme. Joe Thomas isn’t going to be a first ballot HoF because of run blocking. LT is all about having the ability to pass block. You miss your run block assignment, you just let up a tackle for loss

You miss on your pass blocking assignment, you either just...

- got the QB killed

- Got the QB blindsided and fumbled the ball

- Got the QB rushed into making his pass and threw into coverage and now it’s picked

- QB got hurt during the throw and throws a duck and that gets picked. 

We didn’t draft Myles Garrett cause he can defend the run. We got him to get after the QB. You get the LT who can stop that Pass rusher

that’s Thomas and Wills. I’m not waiting of Wirf to develop or Becton to develop as well

Edited by buno67
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, buno67 said:

LT is all about having the ability to pass block. You miss your run block assignment, you just let up a tackle for loss

We didn’t draft Myles Garrett cause he can defend the run. We got him to get after the QB. You get the LT who can stop that Passer

that’s Thomas and Wills. I’m not waiting of Wirf to develop or Becton to develop as well

This. That.  And That.

The only reliable high level pass blockers are Wills and Thomas.

If only people watched Wirfs' game enough to see the constant oversetting, poor pass sets, and out of sorts technique in the pass coverage they'd realize how far he has to go. It didn't cost him at Iowa going against also ran edge defenders where he could over-set get beat inside and use his next level athleticism to recover and make an ugly block. He had more recovery, ugly blocks than a high level tackle prospect I could remember in recent history. In the pros, those are sacks, TFLs, and wrecked offensive plays. Doesn't come up in his raw sacks given up numbers either.

What's troubling to me is that I know for a fact Wirfs is being taught premium technique at Iowa. What's missing is the innate, intuitive, instinctive play ability that uses technique teaching as a refinement tool to one's natural feel for the game and functional abilities.

Becton is raw but it's surprising to me how much further along he is.

If I'm betting on Wirfs or Becton, I'm betting on Becton every single because he has the intuitive ability to build off of.

Like Daniel Jeremiah said, Wirfs needs "to play in a telephone booth with guys on opposite sides of him so the traffic next to him in the run or pass game restricts his sets or minimizes the angle defenders can go around him instead causing them to be positioned right in his lap where he can let his natural traits takeover and win."

• Like 1

This Year marks the 36th year of Bob McGinn's Draft Series where he polls/interviews GMs, higher level personnel execs, scouts, and NFL insiders about each position group.

He recently revealed the inside info about the OLine. Of course, there's room for propoganda and liar's poker but McGinn's info on the draft is as real as anything out there in public news reporting.

https://theathletic.com/1749660/2020/04/16/mcginns-nfl-draft-series-scouts-on-top-offensive-linemen/

Of note, Wirfs is not listed as a Tackle and is instead classified as the #1 Guard in the draft.

Tackles Based on McGinn's polling/interviews:

1. Andrew Thomas
  2. Mekhi Becton
  3. Jedrick Wills
  4. Austin Jackson
  5. Isaiah Wilson
  6. Ezra Cleveland
  7. Josh Jones
Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

This Year marks the 36th year of Bob McGinn's Draft Series where he polls/interviews GMs, higher level personnel execs, scouts, and NFL insiders about each position group.

He recently revealed the inside info about the OLine. Of course, there's room for propoganda and liar's poker but McGinn's info on the draft is as real as anything out there in public news reporting.

https://theathletic.com/1749660/2020/04/16/mcginns-nfl-draft-series-scouts-on-top-offensive-linemen/

Of note, Wirfs is not listed as a Tackle and is instead classified as the #1 Guard in the draft.

Offensive Tackles:

1. Andrew Thomas
  2. Mekhi Becton
  3. Jedrick Wills
  4. Austin Jackson
  5. Isaiah Wilson
  6. Ezra Cleveland
  7. Josh Jones

Are there worthy Lt in the 2nd? or the end of the 1st?

Id be willing to go OL 1 and 2 in this draft. 

8 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Are there worthy Lt in the 2nd? or the end of the 1st?

Id be willing to go OL 1 and 2 in this draft. 

The only 2nd round LT types I believe in could be Austin Jackson although he's likely to go in the bottom half of the 1st.

I personally think Jack Driscoll and Robert Hunt could be quality Left Tackles but I now think they're both best at Guard.

To me, if the Browns don't get Jedrick Wills Jr. or Andrew Thomas, then they should trade down and get Austin Jackon somewhere in the 1st Round.

3 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

The only 2nd round LT types I believe in could be Austin Jackson although he's likely to go in the bottom half of the 1st.

I personally think Jack Driscoll and Robert Hunt could be quality Left Tackles but I now think they're both best at Guard.

To me, if the Browns don't get Jedrick Wills Jr. or Andrew Thomas, then they should trade down and get Austin Jackon somewhere in the 1st Round.

I really hope we complete our oline this year, we need to replace Bit and JC in the next 3 years, I dont want it to be a hole in a few years to come. 

Im happy with we take one of those two at 10. If Pnies report is correct though, and Becton drops out of the top 10 it will be harder to get them. 

Edited by Kiwibrown
  • Like 1

Becton failed the "wisdom" test at the combine.

Whether Becton uses marijuana for its medicinal or therapeutic value or not, it's beyond ridiculous to fail that test at the combine with all the millions upon millions on the line and the ability to get back to using the drug post-combine.

It's a huge red flag.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Now why would you revive that when so many are starting to lean toward Jackson?

I like Ezra Cleveland. He'll be a solid player who commands little to none of our attention as a reliable player. Small school guy with all of the tools, but none of the professional polish. Kind of in the vein of Eric Fisher. He can move pretty well, but has some issues with his hand placement. Callahan can assuredly teach it. And even if he can't, guys like Bryan Bulaga have thrived with similar technique. There's no boom or bust to his game and I think that's why he fits in perfectly in our OL. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It’s not at all.

in years past?  Yeah.  Now?  I’m sure agents and everyone associated with the league knew it wasn’t gonna be a thing moving forward and some dudes smoked a bit.

idgaf tbh.

Same.